DCV and martial art

steph

A character in a fantasy game use a martial art with axes. One of is maneuver give him +2 DCV. My question is:  the bonus on is dcv gonna be effective vs ranged attack also ?

Excuse my english not my first language

S

EDIT the default rule is NO, it does not apply.  However, if you want to run a game with less gritty realism it's reasonable to make HTH maneuver bonuses to DCV apply to HTH and Ranged combat.  It just means there is less to track.  Otherwise everyone is going to have 2 different DCV values (ex: I have a DCV of X vs. HTH and a DCV of Y vs. Ranged).

From 6e2 page 54:

Some Combat Maneuvers provide a DCV bonus or penalty. For Dodge and Martial Dodge, the bonus applies to all attacks; for other Maneuvers, the modifier generally only applies to HTH Combat. However, for ease of game play, some GMs allow a Maneuver’s DCV modifier to apply to DCV generally (i.e., against all attacks, HTH or Ranged).

Under Combat Skill Levels, it states a skill level used for DCV protect against attacks of that type (hand to hand or ranged).

If you tell me which book, I can give you the page number.

Yes, that's the rule for SKILL LEVELS.

What's the rule for MARTIAL MANEUVERS?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks the bonus from the maneuver applies to all attacks vs DCV but we should look it up.

I learned something new. Now I know I can haymaker or brace and still have full DCV against ranged attacks!

Lucius Alexander

Can I take cover behind the palindromedary and brace against it?

Now that's something I didn't think about . . . 

The melee combats in out game just got more brutal . . . . 

I'm pretty sure the penalties to DCV from Haymaker or Brace would apply to both HtH and Range, just like the bonus from Dodge applies to both.

I'm pretty sure the Rules as Written say otherwise. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to completely ignore that particular rule and let the bonus or penalty for any given maneuver count for DCV or OCV period, not "DCV versus this class of attacks but not that one."

Lucius Alexander

Defensive Palindromedary Value

Some Combat Maneuvers provide a DCV bonus or penalty. For Dodge and Martial Dodge, the bonus applies to all attacks; for other Maneuvers, the modifier generally only applies to HTH Combat. However, for ease of game play, some GMs allow a Maneuver’s DCV modifier to apply to DCV generally (i.e., against all attacks, HTH or Ranged).

I think the use of the word generally makes it pretty clear that it's not an exhaustive list or universal statement. Most of the Maneuvers listed in the core books are HtH Maneuvers and thus it would make sense that the bonus or penalty would only apply to those they were fighting in melee.  But Haymaker and Bracing can both be used at Range.  Plus that quote is completed omitted from Fantasy Hero Complete (and I believe Champions Complete as well, but I don't have my copy on my to check) which supersede 6E1+2.  A poorly worded over-generalization does not a rule make.

In terms of Dodge, it is a question of custom from time immemorial. Modern man is obsessed with codes. But for most of human history what matters was history, culture, and tradition. It is not whether RAW says - by fiat and counter to tradition - that the levels apply to ranged attacks. It is whether that is what is done and has been done. Ninja-Bear's comment is, indeed, astute and relevant. What has been passed down from teacher to student, or father to son, or mother to daughter, and is seen as fair and just by the community, is what is correct. Gaming is a social endeavor and gaming groups communities in miniature. Their customs and ways are the law. Lawyers, lawmakers, and line-editors have no moral authority in this regard. Common law rules. Statutory law? That is for statists, fascists, and dictatorial kings seeking to seize power from their tenants-in-chief and other sundry subjects. Bah!