How would you handle different size clips

Pattern Ghost

Normally, you buy clips as X clips of Y charges. Easy peasy.

But what about that guy with a Tommy Gun and a drum magazine who carries stick magazines as reloads?

Or that guy who carries a concealed M9 with a 17 round magazine, but carries 32 round magazines as reloads?

I'm pretty sure 5th doesn't cover these cases. Not sure about 6th. I was thinking some way of weighting the costs of the clips, but not sure how I'd go about that.

I'd just average them. Don't overthink this one as it's not likely to come up often or matter much when it does.

It's not likely ever to come up, just a theoretical question that popped up as I was thinking about a possible write up for one of my Champions Online characters, who's a pulp-themed guy with a tommy gun. Since he's a dapper fellow, carrying spare drum magazines would be impractical since it'd ruin the lines of his clothes. :D

If I was doing an actual write up for a game, I'd just give him all the same size magazines since I'm lazy that way. :D

If you wanted to really get technical, have a Naked Modifier for that one power.  Hero Designer can't Naked Modifier a disad (which it default-designates Charges as), but it lets you use Differing Modifiers for Negatives, so I wound up with this:

Thompson Sub-Machine Gun, .45 ACP: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6-1, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Autofire (10 shots; +1) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), 100 Charges (+3/4) (Drum): 37 points.

Differing Modifier: 4 clips of 32 Charges (+1/2) (37 Active Points) for up to 25 Points of Thompson Sub-Machine Gun (the base cost of the power): 12 points.

Differing Modifier: OAF (-1) for up to 12 Points of Clips: -6 points.

Total cost is 43 points (37 + 12 - 6 = 37 + 6 = 43).

I think I said this in another thread, but sometimes you'll spend way more points than you need if you're worried about getting a power "exactly right".  Getting everything perfect down to the tiniest detail can result in spending a lot more for less power.  I think this is one of those instances.

I think I said this in another thread, but sometimes you'll spend way more points than you need if you're worried about getting a power "exactly right".  Getting everything perfect down to the tiniest detail can result in spending a lot more for less power.  I think this is one of those instances.

That is my frst answer too. Trying to account for heroic weapons perfectly always ends in chaos.

I mean if you follow that thought, the WW2 MG42 used the same Ammo as the normal german Rifle. That was an important factor for logistics. An idea that has been adapted by most NATO militaries too (togethere with the MG42 under new name and with different calliber).

The second answer would be "that is equipment. You should not normaly bother with point cost of equipment". But then I remembered we do have stuff like the Resource Pools in the APG wich uses the cost of equipment to balance it.

Averaging might be the wrong approach. Maybe worst value would be better fitting?

If you just buy enough charges, what you end up with is plain 0 End(+1/2). We should never forget that fact.

In heroic games you can stock up on so much extra magazine, you can effortlessly reach that point.

I would value the Tommy Gun as if it had only the drum magazine, but with the reload time for the stick magazines. Because that is how it will work most of the time.

I would value the M9 with smaller magazine as if it only had the 32 magazine.

In both cases I would still apply the concealment modifiers for the magazine that is actually inside them at any given moment.