How to build powers that ebb and flow based on Lunar Cycle?

GoldenAge

I have come across this problem in HERO more than once. A hero has a power that reacts differently as circumstances change... As the moon approaches its zenith a character gets stronger and then back again during a day or perhaps over days as it reaches full moon... The more dense a character gets the less he can stretch... etc.

Now, this would be easy to model if it were an on/off situation... But how would you model this on a graduating scale?

Let me be more specific. Lets take a character that has a natural STR of 30 for most of the month. We'll call him MoonPaladin (jk intended). However, as the moon approaches full moon (and his god sees fit to provide him with more power) he gets stronger. For 4 days his STR increases until it peaks at 50 (+5 STR/day) TADA, the moon is full... Then, over the next 4 days, he returns to normal (-5 STR/day).

How would you build that?

How would you build that sort of graduated scale into a suite of powers or a Multipower?

Does anyone have any example character for this type of power transition?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thx!

post-3005-0-66665900-1419970608_thumb.jpg

I would treat it the same way I handled a kryptonian's power reduction when exposed to green K or red solar radiation. 

Build the Framework at maximum Full Moon power level (50 STR) and apply the Limitation value you see fit for that full power being gradually decreased by 20 active points (30 STR) when there is no moon in the sky.  There's no rule stating that you have to mechanically express those 5 point increments from your description.  That can ALL be part of the single Limitation's description or the Notes section of the Framework.

:)

HM

I believe this meets your requirements almost exactly.

I see a Good Moon Rising: (Total: 144 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Aid 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Lunar Powers (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Day; +2 1/4), Time Limit (4 Days before begins to fade; +2 1/4), Expanded Effect (x13 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+6) (144 Active Points); Damage Over Time, Lock out (cannot be applied multiple times) (4 damage increments, damage occurs every 1 Day, -4 1/4), 1 Charge which Recovers every 1 Month (-3), Only to Aid Self (-1), One Use At A Time (-1), Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), Conditional Power Must begin 4 nights prior to the Full Moon (-1/2), Limited Power 2d6 = 5 pts gained (-1/4), Conditional Power Contingent on good relationship with associated Deity (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 11)

The power is activated by a five minute Lunar Invocation on the appropriate night (if the Moon is full on the 14th, the ceremony is on the 10th.) The next night, the character gains +5 to up to 13 of the powers associated with their Lunar Deity, and another +5 each night, until the night of the Full Moon, when the total of +20 is reached. After this, the additional power fades at the rate of -5 each night.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary observes that on the night of the Full Moon you will have a full knight of the Moon.

Yeah,it only needs to be as "mathy" as you want it to be...I had a Fantasy Hero character, that had a power like Sir Gawain...yours is a little better in that it lasts for all day during the Full Moon. (Sir Gawain had Strength that increased till Noon, then went back down till Sunset) I'd just buy it as Extra Strength, Lunar Flux -1/2 or so, and call it done.

Let me be more specific. Lets take a character that has a natural STR of 30 for most of the month. We'll call him MoonPaladin (jk intended). However, as the moon approaches full moon (and his god sees fit to provide him with more power) he gets stronger. For 4 days his STR increases until it peaks at 50 (+5 STR/day) TADA, the moon is full... Then, over the next 4 days, he returns to normal (-5 STR/day).

Lucius wins the award for Best Technical Complexity!  I might do something like:

• +5 STR, Only during 8 days of lunar cycle
  • +5 STR, Only during 6 days of lunar cycle
  • +5 STR, Only during 4 days of lunar cycle
  • +5 STR, Only during 2 days of lunar cycle

Add other Limitations as desired. So with your 8-day lunar cycle, the progression goes like:

• Baseline = STR 30
  • Day 1 = STR 35
  • Day 2 = STR 40
  • Day 3 = STR 45
  • Day 4 = STR 50
  • Day 5 = STR 50
  • Day 6 = STR 45
  • Day 7 = STR 40
  • Day 8 = STR 35
  • Rest of month = STR 30

The value of the Limitations would depend on how proactive the PCs are ("Let's wait until next week when I'm stronger") vs reactive ("Crap, I wish this had happened next week when I'm stronger!").

I'd just go with Partially Limited Powers personally.

An advantage of that over the Aid based build I did is that my Aid build improves everything 5 Active Points at a time in lockstep, but one might want to improve STR by 5, Resistant Defenses by 1, gain a +1 to a Power Skill each night, get a +1 Overall Level only on the night of the Full Moon, etc.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary produces a selection of carts and wagons and a variety of polishes.