Victorian heroes in the modern era?

GCMorris

Before I even got my hands on the new rule book my players have decided that they want to be a group of Victorian/steampunk heroes. I think that they are cheesy and underpowered but I want them to play the characters they want.

Constable Thomas Murphy: pugilist/wrestler, billy club, pistol

Wilbur Watson: tinker, clockwork scientist, gadgeteer

Padre Jorge: priest, hand of God, clerical abilities

Wallace Crackpot: scholar, potions

Pauline Montgomery: seductress, assassin

Sir Milton Pepperbottom: leader, sword cane

Well just based on that little bit I'm not sure what to tell you. Batman, Captain America, Moon Knight are all basically people with gadgets who take on people with superpowers So a wrestler with a billy club and a gun doesn't sound too underpowered depending on the build. When you say underpowered do they have like 8d6 attacks and the villians are designed around a 12d6 campaign? .The part that intruiges me is the Victorian bit. You say its a modern campaign, so are they just Victorian flavored, or actually from the Victorian age?

Sorry. That's really all I've got right now. I'm waiting on my rule book to arrive. I'm a 4e guy who's been out of the game for about 30 years and am getting into 6e.

The characters are real Victorians who were adventurers who stumbled upon a pylon ala Land of the Lost and are now in modern times.

Sorry. That's really all I've got right now. I'm waiting on my rule book to arrive. I'm a 4e guy who's been out of the game for about 30 years and am getting into 6e.

The characters are real Victorians who were adventurers who stumbled upon a pylon ala Land of the Lost and are now in modern times.

Play up the 'stranger in a strange land' aspect. Even things they might be use to may have changed enough to be almost unrecognizable. Play a few sessions focused on roll playing and adjusting to the new world. No combats till you get the book in.

• 11 months later...

When you say underpowered do they have like 8d6 attacks and the villians are designed around a 12d6 campaign? .

I think this nails it. If you have not yet built the campaign you want to run, then scale the opposition to the heroes. They can probably justify much more than necessary to overwhelm normal thugs and mobsters (but still have some concern about weapons fire) and make them vital in combatting something out of the ordinary.

I could see this being a great urban fantasy twist, where the modern authorities refuse or are unable to see more mystical or fantastical threats but the less 'sophisticated' Victorian adventurers can. It might even be driven by the UnSeelie Court who have been ensuring the general population has been becoming less sensitive to the fantastical over the decades and the heroes have avoided this influence by jumping through time...

Doc

Before I even got my hands on the new rule book my players have decided that they want to be a group of Victorian/steampunk heroes. I think that they are cheesy and underpowered but I want them to play the characters they want.

Underpowered compared to what?

Do you have any idea yet what kind of tone or theme you want for the game? Where will it be set? If it's set in America for instance will the Victorians play along or do the characters logically want to go "home" to England, even if it's an England strange to them?

What about really going home, back to their own era - is that a possibility?

Do you intend to bring them into a "comic book" world where they have to deal with costumed villains and perhaps heroes with strange powers, or a "action movie world" where they might foil criminals or terrorists or spies?

Constable Thomas Murphy: pugilist/wrestler, billy club, pistol

Speaking of tone, will the authorities question his right to carry and use that pistol, or is it the sort of game where inconvenient questions like "did the mysterious stranger who foiled the bank robbery actually have license for that fire arm?" just aren't raised? Try to make sure you and the players are on the same page.

And he's probably not a constable any more, I'm sure they would have dropped his name after a decade of no answer at roll call.

Wilbur Watson: tinker, clockwork scientist, gadgeteer

You can put a Limitation on some of his Skills, "Outdated Technologically" - then let him buy that off quickly. Some, like Electronics, might start as Familiarities because the first time he takes something electronic apart his genius intellect may immediately grasp some idea of how it works but not necessarily enough to put it together right again.

This guy could be fun. I imagine him reading a physics textbook to try to catch up on science and he says "E = MC2? Of course, it was staring everyone in the face it just took a genius to point it out.....wait, if they weaponized that it could level a city.....They did WHAT?"

Padre Jorge: priest, hand of God, clerical abilities

Like typing and filing? Ok, more seriously, what is the church going to do with or about a person who shows up claiming the identity of a priest who they know vanished mysteriously last century?

Wallace Crackpot: scholar, potions

Pauline Montgomery: seductress, assassin

Love to know how she gets along with the priest and vice versa.

Sir Milton Pepperbottom: leader, sword cane

Use Martial Arts usable with sword AND with cane - so he doesn't have to draw it and resort to deadly force to be effective.

You might consider getting Hero Designer if you don't have it already.

One of the greatest things you may have missed out on in the time you haven't been with Hero is "Combat Luck" - it's like armor for people who don't wear armor. All of these characters should have some.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks who turned the pylon?

Between the Victorian and Edwardian Eras is a mix Steampunk and Gaslight. 

Gaslight Fantasy 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GaslampFantasy 

Steampunk  

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Steampunk

The League of Extraodinary Gentlemen 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/TheLeagueOfExtraordinaryGentlemen  

The Wold of Newton  

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/herosource/champions/wold_newton.html  

Philip Jose Farmer 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/PhilipJoseFarmer