Post Apocalypse Superheroes ?

Opale

hellooooo

Well well well..

With a recent change of "campaign mood",it seems my PCs are going through a wrong way, which tingled my interest.

They might fail and fall, and let the Qliphotic horrors invade my Champions Earth.

SO...

If that happens (and it sounds like it's going to happen), I'm going to make my Champions Earth an alterante dimension of the official one, in which the Kings of Edom conquer the world, and destroy civilization.

And for that, I'm needing some advises, hints, super (heroes or villains), pictures from Dc Comics, Marvel, top cow, Images, etc.. to fill up my new world.

Future Pcs could be a legacy, from heroes or villains, or anything else, to fight the Edomites, their cults, the Elder Worms, Shadow Destroyer, etc... in a post apocalyptic world still superpowered.

So my main question are :

1/ How powerful you think such a team should be ? (ie on how many points are the character build)

2/ What would you picture yourself in such a world; please toss any ideas you might have, because you have great ideas fellows Heroites

3/ Btw, would you yourself enjoy to play a game in such a devastated world ?

Ap-opale

Not my type of game, to be honest. I prefer optimistic, hopeful heroics. However, if you haven't seen it yet, the best example of this type of game I've ever seen remains Allen Varney's  ANOPHELES: Atrocities From Beyond, originally published for 4E Champions in Champions in 3-D as "Horror World." It's essentially what you describe, the Earth after the Elder Horrors have taken over. Even if you don't use the included world history and all the grotesque creatures, the advice and examples for blending superheroes with Lovecraftian horror are invaluable. (No illustrations on Allen Varney's website above, I'm afraid; although there are several in Ci3D.)

DEMON Servants of Darknes

The Mystic World

Mystic Meanaces

The Uulitmate Mystic

The Blood (Apothesis Now!, Blood Right)

Various Enemies/Villains Sourcebooks

Rifts Chaos Earth

Cthulhutech

Surbrook's Stuff Website

Silent Mobius Zeta

http://surbrook.devermore.net/worldbooks/smz/silentmobius.html

Gamma World Hero

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/91416-gamma-world-hero/

I did a one-shot convention game a few years back where the heroes got sent forward in time to a world where exactly that happened, and then they had to go back and prevent that future from happening. I borrowed heavily from the Anopheles adventure Lord Liaden linked to above, and got a lot of good suggestions from this thread.

Edit: Wow, almost 10 years ago!

A difficult setting - the Big Bads can't be defeated by anything like normal means. Without their defeat rebuilding is impossible, and there might not be enough left to rebuild.

So it's either a case of losing (and hopefully dying, because there are worse things), escaping, using time travel to prevent it from happening (but the Edomites exist outside of time!) or some other Deus Ex Machina.

I wouldn't make it a campaign as such, but a short series of scenarios might be better.

A difficult setting - the Big Bads can't be defeated by anything like normal means. Without their defeat rebuilding is impossible, and there might not be enough left to rebuild.

So it's either a case of losing (and hopefully dying, because there are worse things), escaping, using time travel to prevent it from happening (but the Edomites exist outside of time!) or some other Deus Ex Machina.

I wouldn't make it a campaign as such, but a short series of scenarios might be better.

Edomites exist outside of time? You'll have to cite me where that's mentioned.

The essence of horror is the feeling of helplessness, while the supers genre is an empowerment fantasy. Mere mortals run from the monster; superheroes punch it in the face. The trick to blending them is to confront the heroes with a threat that can't be beaten with brute force; which is what Allen Varney did so brilliantly with the Anopheles.

However, there is a difference between a deus ex machina and a plot device. The former resolves all problems and conflicts by decree, not as an outgrowth of the story; but the latter can be worked into the story organically. To take Edomites as an example, perhaps they can only enter our universe through dimensional portals, and remain only as long as those portals are open. Find a way to collapse them, and the Edomites may be sucked back through them in the process. Or as another possibility, the Kings of Edom were trapped in various prison worlds or dimensions. Perhaps there's a way to force them back into those prisons. These strategies should be discovered by PCs during the course of play, and their achievement should be difficult and dangerous -- plenty of opportunity for heroics.

Edomites exist outside of time? You'll have to cite me where that's mentioned.

DEMON: Servants Of Darkness, page 28:

"The Harrowing Book details one of the secrets of druidic knowledge, the existence of five beings imprisoned outside of space and time — outside, entirely, the Four Worlds of the multiverse — in dimensions modern mystics call the Qliphothic Realms."

Maybe I'm the minority here, but I would think with such a scenario that it would be an easier thing to stop them coming through, than to send them back. I'm also vile and vicious enough to think in terms of the "things worse than death." How delicious it would be for such beings that these "heroes" had failed. They're tough enough that they were even able to try, but they also defied my coming. I'm going to grant them all regeneration so that I might flay the skin from them daily, knowing it'll regrow tomorrow. I'll also plant rumors that I can be sent back to my prison or cast out, just to watch them go through the motions....and fail again.

In short, I would push the heroes toward the conclusion that their world had fallen. It was time to find a way out and make sure the next in the chain didn't fall to these things. Then again, maybe I've just watched too much Mortal Combat and read too much PC Hodgell.