Guest Skaramine

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I had SUCH a dream last night that effortlessly blended -

Reign of Fire

John Carpenter's The Thing

Men in Black

and

Harry Potter

which culminated in Division 6 and Hogwarts alumnus rescuing Bill Clinton from the Pentagon while a wall of tanks blew the Pentagon, and the Thing infected dragonriders inside to smithereens with .50 caliber machine gun fire.

I'd love to know how I came up with that...

Guest Skaramine

Having read Samuraiko's first booklet of poetry, the Portrait of the Author - I love it. Awesome works.

My favorites are The Lady in the Mask, Portrait of a Street Walker, and the Portrait of the Arsonist, and the one about the priestess of Brigit.

Guest Worldmaker

The spammers are getting more interesting, at least, with their fake names. Today, I got a message from Innoculation Q. Subcontractor and Rectory A. Salmonella.

The Pet Companion fair went well. We sold some cat beds & cat body pillows. A volunteer gets lazy boy fabric samples for free, then another sews them up. The Body pillow is stuffed with organic catnip. We sold most of them.

Never fails though. Fourth year and everytime it rains at setup & breakdown.

I saw The Village tonight.

I think what most people hated about it was that the trailers and stuff made it look like a horror movie. It wasn't horror; it was mystery and suspense, but mostly drama.

Yeah, it would've pissed me off, too, if I'd actually been looking to be scared. I wasn't.

I have a cousin named Teresa. She's forty and married for the first time last year in a white wedding dress, white cowboy hat, and white western boots. The reception had a chili cook off and country dancing. They gave eachother high-powered rifles and went deer hunting for their honeymoon. She doesn't have any kids, so she sent the family pictures of her bloodhound pup, who is her pride and joy. Oh, and she rides a big purple Harley.

Its been over a decade since I've seen any of my kin on that side of the family. Closer to fifteen years in most cases - and I haven't spoken to any of them since my conversion, which was eight years ago, though it illicited more than a small measure of comment directed to my mother before she told everyone to ask me about it. Its the great taboo topic; the white elephant standing in the corner that no one wants to talk about. From my perspective, its funny as hell.

Well, this summer Teresa and her husband Fred, who by all reports is a small town Texas mechanic with a big Johnny Reb flag painted on the hood of his truck and a John Deer hat perpetually plastered on his head, are coming on a trip to the Holy Land to see "da' land of da' Jooos" - and she wants to drop in for a visit.

Well... this ought to be interesting.

Beit El, look whose coming to dinner.

Guest Worldmaker

I found another "if you had only asked" mistakes... this time in the Vibora Bay book. In one spot, it mentions offshore oil drilling and how its a growth industry in Vibora Bay.

I think they are thinking of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. In Florida, all forms of offshore oil and natural gas drilling were banned in 1990, a ban that withstood federal challenges all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States.

This should have been an easy mistake to catch, if someone had been looking.