A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

A call from my wife which started with, "I just gave my two-weeks notice," (paraphrased down to a PG rating) was the last thing I expected to receive today. Now I have to go check the balance in my savings account and prepare to batten down the hatches. I back her calls 100% no matter what, but damn. Would've like to have prepared for this. :mad:

Amazing how, over and over and over, the same people who complain their issues aren't being addressed are the ones who don't initiate actual trouble tickets and keep relying on their network of business acquaintances and friends and informal communication. They are told (at least as I encounter them) over and over that this is related, and it's difficult to do anything if the channels aren't followed.

Guest Worldmaker

With the departure of Chef James (who, to tell you the truth, had ambitions bigger than our mutual place of employ), I am now the defacto executive chef. This is a good thing.

Guest Worldmaker

So Sunday is slow... not unusual for a Sunday, believe it or not. Not too many people fly out on Sunday, and the people flying in don't want to stop in an airport restaurant on their way to their hotel rooms or offices or what-have-you. From 10 am, when we opened, all the way to 3 pm, I had maybe three orders, and two of them were for piddly stuff like cheese sticks.

At 3, I was up front discussing the ball game with the bartender. I hadn't been back in the kitchen for half an hour because no one was coming in.

Well, without warning this woman comes in and asks "Can you seat 150 people in here?"

It was like a summer storm on the coast. Comes out of nowhere, slams you around a bit, then disappears. By 4 all 150 people were gone, and I didn't get another order all day.

Guest Skaramine

White Hen called for another interview.

It's near my house.

I'm going at 2:00 CDT.

Regular paycheck. Regular schedule. WOOT WOOT!

/whimpering on

I don't want to start a crying thread. So...

Today, I signed a lease for an apartment today and I move in on the 6th of May. And then, for all intents and purposes my marriage will be over. I will most likely not see my wife or my dog again. I was a homeowner for all of 5 months. The person who has been my constant companion for the last 15 years no longer wants that responsibility and I will be alone.

I gotta say that I've felt like a failure alot in the last few years. I never finished college, I'm not working in the field I'd most like to, and I certainly am no financial success. Getting a house was the first step towards that. But now that's gone and the marriage is over. I'm feeling pretty low, and that's not even counting the dejection. I already miss my wife; she made this decision before I even knew there were issues. Then we talked it out for a few months and the last three or four months have been us coming to grips and me starting to look out places to live. So today, I have found a place and it's all starting for "Real". I dunno. I feel empty, but a little excited, I've never lived on my own. I'm leaving all the furniture and everything there. I plan on buying all my own stuff. Sure 55% of my income is gone, but it looks like my expenses are being cut in half too. We'll see how things fare.

Anyway, in a blatant attempt for sympathy, I lay my broken heart at your feet. :D

I'll probbably be away in the evenings until I get my internet going. (yay! Another connection fee!)

I thought of a very amusing practical joke.

Get a group of people together and dress all but one of them up in Orange Jump suits that say Department of Corrections and get the other person dressed up to look like a warden but not enough to give the impression your impersonating an officer. It won't matter that much.

As a group go to a movie theater about half-way through the previews. Sit in the middle section near the front and have the "warden" on the end. About 30 minutes into the movie, have one of the people in an orange jumpsuit stand up, look around, and leave through the emergency exit. Make sure the warden doesn't act like he noticed this happened.

Watch for reactions.

Guest Worldmaker

I'm trying to figure out if its better to mess up once in a big way, or mess up all over the place in a lot of little ways.

I increasingly regard the arguments on these boards not as arguments about specific issues, but as a recurrent and insoluble argument between Foundationalism (predominantly Rationalism and Empiricism) and Scepticism, which includes Coherentism. What consitutes knowledge and justification between these two conflicting modes of epistemology is so fundamentally different that discourse becomes essentially impossible. A Foundationalist and Sceptic, though they may both form their arguments in English, are speaking in alien tongues. Hero Boards, meet Tower of Intellectual Babel.

/Agitation On

PC is an abreviation for Player Character, which refers to a character played by one of the players participating in a role playing game, not the player themselves. Yet, in many posts, people use PC when referring to players, for instance: "...the PC wanted to play a character that..." Unless you are playing a game in which the characters are playing a role playing game (a window within a window) this makes no sense. Please use Player to refer to Player, and PC to refer to a character controlled by a player.

/Agitation Off

Thank you for your support.

Guest Skaramine

On the old Mack Bolan boards, I was considered a whiny, hand-wringing communist traitor to America for criticizing scorched earth murder campaign ideas for dealing with Afghanistan and Iraq (ie: what other board members wanted, not what our military did).

Here, I'm considered a knee-jerk reactionary mass murdering bigot who hates jobless Mexicans for illegally entering the United States because I jokingly posited that a .50 caliber machine gun every four miles is cheaper than barbed wire.

I am all things to all idiots.