A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Today is apparently my day to deal with people to whom I could apply the phrase "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Educating clients on the fact that designing and producing a dozen golf tourney signs isn't an instantaneous process might be worth it, if I thought they'd remember next time... but they never do.

John T

DS 9's "Hippocratic Oath" Episode, where Julian and O'Brian are captured by rogue Jemhaider whos leader wants Dr. B to 'cure them' of their addiction is a damn fine show. Somehow, the archetypes of the healer and the warrior are both up side by side, with neither sneered at by the writers.

The side bit with Worf trying to butt into Odo's job was cute, but was just that, a side bit.

It's amazing that DS 9 so often did a good job of looking at the uglier truths of intrigue and war without stripping the characters caught in those situations of their innate goodness, but rather just encouraged sympathy by showing how hard it is for even a good man to be sure of "the right thing" in such situations.

Took me another hour of phoning New York, California (SF & Orange County), and then back to New York, but I finally sold those MFBoH Mcafee stocks I've been trying to dump since 1999. Or at least I think I did. If it doesn't go thru this time, I'm taking an axe to everyone involved.

Oh, and the kicker is, I had to have the check sent to my friend's address in Sunnyvale because that's the one on file. I've never lived there, but my wife did for six months. (And I had sent numerous address changes to them, but that never went thru as well.)

This morning went a checked on the trap to see if we had caught our feral kitty, Oreo.

No cat, but a damn big Racoon. He was pissed, but after I let him out he just ran to the other side of the yard and then glowered at me for a minute.

Guest Skaramine

Finally finished my Starsky and Hutch project.

Hutch's gun: 6 inch Cardboard Python. Check.

Starsky's gun: Model 59 cardboard 9mm. Check.

Just in time for watching Starsky and Hutch on my new local channels on Direct TV.

Just now, my boss set up a computer (just the tower) outside my office, plugged it in, and turned on the power.

A moment later, I smelled something that resembed BO gone awry. A second after THAT, I realized I was smelling something burning, and alerted my boss.

He has no idea what was burning, but it didn't actually catch fire. He suspects the power source burned out, though, since the computer will no longer turn on.

And it STILL smells like burned computer innards in here. Bleah.

Finally finished my Starsky and Hutch project.

Hutch's gun: 6 inch Cardboard Python. Check.

Starsky's gun: Model 59 cardboard 9mm. Check.

Just in time for watching Starsky and Hutch on my new local channels on Direct TV.

Wow, that brings back memories. My first semiauto was an S&W Model 39, the single stack more concealable narrow frame version. I upgraded to a stainless Model 59 when ammo capacity was more omportant to me than concealability.

Just watched "The Whole Wide World". Great emotional film. Highly reccomended.

I got the impression that the mother of Two-Gun Bob was portrayed as the "villain*" of the film. I understand that from Novalyne's point of view she had to compete with Bob's mum and most times she lost (edit: jealous?). I did like it that the movie potrayed Bob caring for him mum as that was a big part of the character of REH.

While watching it I couldn't help but compare the photograph of REH with his hat to the actual photo.

I also find it amazing that Renee who plays Novalyne is a Texan and about the same age as Novalyne. I don't think it happens all that much that the actor is the same age and country/state as the person they are portraying. Compare Renee who plays the archetypical British singleton in Bridget Jones Diary. It makes Renee's performance more empathic, extraordinary and honest.

The movie also gave me an appreciation of Doug as a writer and how he has said previously that his parents would have liked t get a "real" job. *salute to Doug*

*Corrected by LL's request.

I'm stil impressed by The Incredibles. When you watch the opening, it moves very fast, if you look away, do other stuff, you realize that in a few seconds they've moved a good bit, pacing very well to get people up to speed and involved.

And the way the movie moves emotionally from comedy to grim seriousness is amazing, even intermixed effectively. We see Mr. Incredible seeing his old friends are mostly dead while we're amused by Edna's interaction with Elasti-girl. And then suddenly we see Mr. Incredible tackled and captured in a scene that is gripping in his helplessness and the feeling of "oh, no" by the viewer - and particularly as it's ironically linked to his wife.

But the scariest scene, the one that puts me on the edge of my seat and tears up my eyes, is where the family is about to be struck by the missille and Bob feels like his life is over, and it's so tense as we watch Helen struggle to save her family. Even knowing it's not real and on top of that that they will survive,

And, again, I must say, even though the short isn't playing here, the explanation of the baby-sitter with the baby manifesting his powers is very cool, and she is one amazing baby-sitter. I was struck with that again as she says "I can handle anything this baby dishes out," as Helen insists on a service. Indeed, Helen was wrong, I can't imagine any service capable of dealing with that!

Syndrome's coldness is startling, too. That he can kill off his old icon's family and just remark that Mr. Incredilbe "likes to work alone" is just despicable.

As well, it's really neat to see the kids' puzzlement and shock as their mother settlles into her pre-mom superhero mode.

PS - and as (I think it was) Worldmaker pointed out, it's smart how the film avoided the cliche of making Mirage a turncoat after freeing Mr. Incredible. They really portray her as a real person, like most she has her breaking point when it comes to being malevolent, and while she's still attracted to power in a dangerous way, she realizes that Syndrome loves no one and is nothing more than a ruthless psychopath.

PPS - and the general smartness in the portrayal of all family members, and the savvy to explain to the kids that the bad guys will try to kill them, and to see that play out. Just a huge wow!

Guest Worldmaker

There is something about having a day off tomorrow that makes me philosophical about how crappy a day I had at work today.

Guest Worldmaker

The fact that Dolores O'Riordan's accent is thick enough to affect how the lyrics sound to me just makes the music that much better.

It'll be weird sleeping all alone tonight, and the next night, and every night until Friday. It'll be even weirder to wake up with my husband home and wide awake (okay, maybe not WIDE awake) and preparing breakfast for me.

I guess I'm glad I'll still get to see him, but it looks like I'll need to adjust my sleep schedule so I can actually spend time with him in the morning, rather than rushing by him on my way out the door.

my wife put in for a weeks vacation. When I put in to match it (I got lucky, and got most of it) I realized that she had picked the week prior to graduation, after most finals.

I think I'm going to enjoy having that time off. If I don't get called back in because of the problems that have been going on.

I had something of an epiphany this morning. After reading post after offensive post by the usual suspect, I came to the realization that every time I post in a political therad, this person comes after me like I assaulted his mother or something. Now, I'm fairly thick-skinned, or at least I like to think so, but this morning it struck me: I don't need to deal with this level of troll-like bullshit in my life. That's not why I'm here.

I've always avoided using the ignore list feature of the board just because I'm usually too curious, even when I know the posts are going to be intentionally offensive, to know what is being said. But for the first time I find myself not really caring. And that's a good thing.

So, what's my point? I don't know - I appear to be rambling. Oh well.

I like that there are people here who challenge my language skills. I consider myself to be intelligent and well-educated, but I admit that society in general has helped to blunt my communication skills. "Dummying down", so to speak. Reading a post that causes me to stop and think about context and definition--if not actually looking up the definition of a word--is a figurative breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale medium.

Cheers to Von D-Man, among others, who help to keep that slide at a minimum.