Vigilante Car on a budget

JmOz

Of course. Espically how you define vigilante car. Are we talking about just a little souped up with some extra armor? 5 points. Heck vehicles have a 1 to 5 point rate so for 50 points you can get a 10d6 or 50d6 eb depending on what you mean by 50 points. And that's not counting disads.

Looking at the Vehicle Table on 6E2: 196, the short answer is no.

A plain old van would cost 22 points. Heck, a compact car costs 17 points. (Amusingly enough, a school bus only costs 14 points, due to Limited Maneuverability.)

The Partridge Family made excellent use of a school bus. ;)

So I came up with SOMETHING...unfortunately I don't have a template loaded right now...

15    size 3

06      +3 Dex

10    +3 Ground movement, x16 NCM, OIF/Bulky (Armored tires), no turn mode, Rapid Non combat movement

10     +6/+6 Resistant Protection, IIF Bulky

09     Radar, 360 degrees, IIF Bulky, Affected by radio and sight 

-2     -4  Swimming

01    Computer (5 point)

01    +8 Leaping, IIF/Bulky, 4 charges

-----

50 points

Not really great but what do you think?

If the car is only a get from point a to point b thing, then it cost zero points. Even if you have some car chases and use some combat driving skill.

If you want something like the General Lee, you might want to pay a few points, but it is not necessary. Biff the Roadbuster (from Riding Bean) needs to be paid for by points because it has bunch of off the factory stuff (armour, ability to drive sideways, ect...). And KITT (and the Black Dynamite parody, Ertha KITT) is better bought as a follower.

I lean towards the 0 point option. A sports car with Bat stickers on it is just a sports car.

I'm actually more lenient than that. I'd even allow a 0 point "Batplane" in certain circumstances!

But assume we want to apply strict "you get what you pay for".

In that case, you are technically out of luck. You might be able to get a half-decent focused running/flight gadget together for 10 points. It wouldn't use the vehicle rules, and it wouldn't have any extra stuff, but it would get you around as an interim measure.

Back in 2nd Edition, the earliest set of vehicle rules gave you 75 points of stuff for 5 real points. Under those rules, that was enough to build you a basic sports car or motor bike. Something like that could be an option, if vehicles built under the current rules are too expensive for a campaign.

Either that or allow disads/complications to reduce a vehicle's cost.

One way or another though, you aren't going to get a particularly awesome vehicle for limited points. The more you pay, the better it gets...

The Ultimate Vehicle has a bunch of designs in the 11-14 range. The higher end are sports cars.

I suspect they would translate across to 6e pretty straightforwardly.

Compared to the builds in the 5e rule books, they use a bunch of limitations, making them cheaper.

Scraping up a few more points above the 10 shouldn't be impossible, if you are sufficiently motivated.

I thank everyone for their thoughts on this. 

Some quick background, I was looking at the resource point rules in APG (and dark champs 5th) and thought "What can you get for 10 character points of vehicle/base".  I decided that for 10 you could easily get a no thrill safehouse, but vehicle...

I do like the thing I scrapped together up above.  Not much but does fit the "Emergency Batmobile" Bruce might have scattered around the city,,,