Choke Hold Maneuver as ranged?

g3taso

I like the Choke Hold maneuver, and I was watching Star Wars last night and an idea came to me. How could this be extended into a Darth Vader-esque ranged Choke Hold?  I'm 5e (until April), and I understand adding advantages to Martial or other Maneuvers is frowned upon. That being said, how can I use my Choke Hold at range without buying a whole new Power to do what I can already do with my bare hands?

The best way to buy this is to purchase an NND attack.   2d6 NND, Continuous (30 active points).  This way you don’t take the penalties for performing the maneuver.  You also don’t have to worry about maintaining the hold, or the person being able to escape the hold.  You make the attack which goes against his ranged DCV so you are more likely to hit.  Once you hit the target takes damage, and cannot escape until you release them.  They can move but still take damage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 2:44 PM, LoneWolf said:

The best way to buy this is to purchase an NND attack.   2d6 NND, Continuous (30 active points).  This way you don’t take the penalties for performing the maneuver.  You also don’t have to worry about maintaining the hold, or the person being able to escape the hold.  You make the attack which goes against his ranged DCV so you are more likely to hit.  Once you hit the target takes damage, and cannot escape until you release them.  They can move but still take damage.

I would go with CRTaylor said, especially given that the original poster mentioned Darth Vader. The NND just KO's them eventually, doesn't stop them from attacking and once they're at 0 Stun, cannot kill them.

Both builds are valid and have good points.  I like the TK at range only because its a simpler build.  Also, Darth Vader has used a non-force choke hold to interrogate prisoners before so it fits.  On the other hand,  I've used the NND approach on a character who pulled the oxygen from people's lungs and another who constricted blood flow to the brain.

I really like the Choke Hold, which is also 2d6NND (and a Grab). Aside from pushing for a "signature" AoE version however, I agree the two alternatives have their merits in terms of mechanics or SFX (perish the thought :) ). With so many ways to do just about anything in this system, I find it unusual there are not many options. Pondering if that is a strength, weakness or just a perceptual gap.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 1:14 PM, g3taso said:

I like the Choke Hold maneuver, and I was watching Star Wars last night and an idea came to me. How could this be extended into a Darth Vader-esque ranged Choke Hold?  I'm 5e (until April), and I understand adding advantages to Martial or other Maneuvers is frowned upon. That being said, how can I use my Choke Hold at range without buying a whole new Power to do what I can already do with my bare hands?

UMA for Fifth has rules for adding advantages to martial maneuvers.

• 4 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 12:26 PM, Hyper-Man said:

Maneuvers that reduce DCV by default aren't as limited when combined with TK. A weapon element 'TK' may be needed too.

Can you expand on that a bit? I'm 5e till the end of summer.