The Academics Thread

Pariah

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 5:39 PM, Pariah said:

The other quote that came up, in conversation with a colleague after the fact, was "Illegitimi non carborundum."

Is parental fidelity a known issue in your district?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm giving two exams tomorrow. Third quarter deadline on Friday. End of quarter with final grades due a week from Friday. And I'm teaching the after school ACT Prep class all next week.

I'm already tired of it. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Which Journey vocalist?

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

The current one. 

Arnel Pineda, specifically. He sounds so much like Steve Perry, it's a little spooky.

7 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Arnel Pineda, specifically. He sounds so much like Steve Perry, it's a little spooky.

They all do, even Steve Perry.  Arnel was great when I saw them in concert last year, should be a good show.  Bring back a report!

I got my final grades posted yesterday, including for the Concurrent Enrollment class, which required some manipulation of the grade book program we use to bring it in compliance with the community college.

I knew my CE class was going to be a learning curve; I didn't expect that it was going to look like Mount Everest.

And yeah, the concert was amazing. I'll give you a full report later.

Interesting suggestion that T Coronae Borealis (T CrB) may undergo outburst sometime in the coming 5  - 6 months.  It is a recurrent nova (similar outbursts having been seen in 1866 and 1946) and there is a report that it has undergone its foreshadowing "dip" that was seen prior to the 1946 outburst (see the light curve in the linked Wikipedia article).  If the suggestion is right, then it will go from about 10th magnitude (rather below naked eye brightness) up to 2nd magnitude or so (comparable to the stars in the Big Dipper).  Cor Bor itself doesn't stand out (it has only one 2nd magnitude star) but is quite convenient for observation from the US and Europe.  Once it undergoes outburst it will fade fairly quickly -- a few days -- back below the naked-eye threshold.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:32 PM, Old Man said:

I could see needing a week or so to recover from that concert.

Especially when that week is the first week of a new academic quarter.   But yes, I will report ... in the fullness of time. Expect it when you see it.