The Academics Thread

Pariah

As of right now, I am completely caught up with grading.

(Not counting the late work and makeup work, of course.)

Final grades are due next Friday by midnight, but we will be on the road long before then. So I'm hoping to get things posted Thursday. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I'm a minute and a half in, and I have to take a break. "We are not astrology majors."

It stings us, precioussss. 

I've had coworkers tease me about that just to get me riled up. Of course, I teased them about other stuff, so I guess we were even.

And yes, when I told people I was studying astronomy, they'd ask me for their horoscopes.

Edited by tkdguy

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'm a minute and a half in, and I have to take a break. "We are not astrology majors."

It stings us, precioussss. 

He's at the opposite end of the campus from the Math, Science, and Engineering buildings, so it's not a surprise for me.

The Flora Dungan Humanities building is visible over the interviewers shoulder in some scenes.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Another astronomy ed workshop from the Rubin Observatory people: link

(let me know if that link doesn't work right; another "upgrade" of Outlook means I have to eye-hand transcribe it from an email, because the old highlight-and-copy no longer works)

I got an email about an upcoming workshop on Saturday the 27th*. Unfortunately, there may be a time conflict, as I've got a MERP game that day.

My biggest beef with the ASP and other such organizations is that they offer memberships but not jobs. I would love to work for such an organization, but it seems it's only interested in asking me for money I don't have.

*EDIT: It turns out the workshop is just a revised version of a course I took a few years ago, so I can happily skip this one.

Edited by tkdguy

:think:  The ASP has never been a conduit for jobs; astronomy jobs in the US are principally are listed via the American Astronomical Society (and I think nearly all of those are PhD-level jobs), aas.org.

I thought the ASP's HQ was in San Francisco, and I can see them listing jobs in their offices only locally.  You might see if you can make a contact via "normal" job-seeker channels, provided my memory about their location is correct.

If you hear something that sounds like splashing, or someone drowning in deep water, coming from my classroom, it's just me trying to work out my Concurrent Enrollment Astronomy curriculum.