Only for Dying...

HeroGM

5 hours ago, Lucius said:

What exactly does BODy do for you, EXCEPT prevent dying? 

This is what I was wondering? What's the distinction between regular Body and the limited version? Unless you're talking prior to 6th Edition, but then you could just take No Figured Characteristics for -1/2, because all Body does in prior editions is prevent death and add to your Stun total.

If I have 30 BOD and have taken 40 BOD damage, I am conscious and can still act, provided I still have positive STUN.  I get my recoveries for STUN and END as well.

If I have 20 BOD, +10 BOD only to prevent death, as I read it, I am otherwise dead.  I cannot act.  I have no STUN or END, and I will not recover STUN and END while my 10 extra BOD keeps me clinging to life.  Arguably (and quite appropriately for BOD with a -2 limitation), I probably need an outside source to assist me in recovering BOD, and will not recover it naturally (including by regeneration) regardless of how long my shattered body is tended to in a hospital bed. 

21 hours ago, Lucius said:

What exactly does BODy do for you, EXCEPT prevent dying?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary applies a pigment-resistant coating to itself to prevent dyeing.

In all settings, BODY prevents you from being transformed and dying.

In Heroic settings, especially those using hit locations and impairment/disablement, BODY helps stop impairment and disablement effects.   In some heroic campaigns, they use a sudden death rule (if you take your BODY in body damage, you make a CON roll or die).

2 hours ago, dsatow said:

In all settings, BODY prevents you from being transformed and dying. 

In Heroic settings, especially those using hit locations and impairment/disablement, BODY helps stop impairment and disablement effects.   In some heroic campaigns, they use a sudden death rule (if you take your BODY in body damage, you make a CON roll or die). 

11 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

If I have 30 BOD and have taken 40 BOD damage, I am conscious and can still act, provided I still have positive STUN.  I get my recoveries for STUN and END as well.

If I have 20 BOD, +10 BOD only to prevent death, as I read it, I am otherwise dead.  I cannot act.  I have no STUN or END, and I will not recover STUN and END while my 10 extra BOD keeps me clinging to life.  Arguably (and quite appropriately for BOD with a -2 limitation), I probably need an outside source to assist me in recovering BOD, and will not recover it naturally (including by regeneration) regardless of how long my shattered body is tended to in a hospital bed.  

Good points! Thanks to both of you for the info. I've never really used the disabling/impairment rules, so those didn't come to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

When you get to negative body you're dead, period. My understanding of it all is if you have the +20 body (only to prevent death), and you have a normal body of 10 then you don't die (flat-line) until you reach -30 body, not -10.