Reviews for Monsters, Minions, And Marauders wanted

TheQuestionMan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of artwork, I'm afraid I'm one of those people who is greatly influenced by the quality of both cover and interior art (I'm a very visually oriented kind of person... artistic aspirations and all that dontcha know :) ). . If the art is poor, I"m less likely to buy the book. And I think historically one of Hero's biggest problems has been ho-hum artwork. OTOH, though, having been away from Hero for a long while and just now coming back with the advent of 5E, I have to say that the art has improved by Hulk-sized leaps and bounds. Storn's work in particular simply blew me away... I didn't even recognise it as his at first! I still feel that 5E could have made some better choices as to the content of it's interior art (p. 195 in particular stands out to me as a "ugh! what the heck were they thinking when they put that in" selection), but overall I'm finding myself to be more and more impressed with Hero's artistick quality. The cover art especially for their books has been exceptional. So, having said all this, and having seen the cover for MMM but not the interiors (no game stores in my area, wah!), I'm looking forward to adding it to my collection, especially if the content is as varied and useful as folks here are saying it is.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Eric Lofgren

Apart from Storn's posted pieces (which are awesome as ever), I haven't seen anything from this book yet. And I'd love to hear what you guys thought of my contributions to MMM if you've seen it already :) I can post some like Storn has if need be.

Please post. I was totally bummed when I missed the call for MMM, (though I did do some hopefully groovy maps for Coils of the Serpent.) I personally would love to see an art appreciation/critique thread, or even board.

Keith "Must. see. art." Curtis

Originally posted by keithcurtis

I personally would love to see an art appreciation/critique thread, or even board.

Agreed, Keith :)

Anyway, here's some of my faves. I did more than I can remember, but these ones have always stood out for me:

Cipactli-

1mmm_cipactli

Blood Demon-

1mmm_blood_demon

Spiked Dragon-

1mmm_spiked_dragon

Erqigdlit-

1mmm_erqigdlit

Here's some more links to follow to some other favorites if you wish :) Any and all feedback is always appreciated.

links removed to free up space :)

Thanks for looking :)

Beautiful work, Eric!

I love the variety of surface textures you can create with simple line art. Also, your attention to light source is spot on and extremely consistent. All the characters look like they are sharing the same space. It almost makes me feel like you went out and found these critters and drew from life.

Keith "proverbial hat-doffer" Curtis

Originally posted by keithcurtis

Beautiful work, Eric!

I love the variety of surface textures you can create with simple line art. Also, your attention to light source is spot on and extremely consistent. All the characters look like they are sharing the same space. It almost makes me feel like you went out and found these critters and drew from life.

Keith "proverbial hat-doffer" Curtis

Thank you Keith. Your comments are very much appreciated :)

All those things you mention, as you well know I'm sure, come with practise. Or "Practise, practise, practise" as an old pro on the boards here is wont to say ;)

I've always seen the ELofgren signed pictures in the various books as a little ... muddy I guess. Not very crisp, a little blurred on the shading.

Having seen the originals now, it's obviously not a fault in the artwork itself.

Nice stuff. Beautiful Shading. It looks like these are all real critters, and that someone drew them from a duck blind in the wild.

I've got a new Dragon Picture to scare my PCs with.

Thanks for sharing. This stuff is really nice.

D

I thought the artwork was quite good, and wasn't too annoyed by any monsters missing illustrations.

What disappointed me in a first read-through was the lack of information on where the monsters were derived from -- what culture, myths, legends, etc.

IIRC the Erqigdlit is an Inuit legend, but I saw no mention of that, nor of some of the obscure monsters from Aztec, etc. legends. It was great seeing that some research had gone into choosing the monsters -- I just wish that research had been more in-front-of-the-scenes than behind-the-scenes, as it were.

Guest joen00b

I make it a point not to criticize works of art. I have no artistic talent, so it seems rather hypocritical to do so.

I certainly can praise the work I've seen in MMM, that's for dang sure! This is some top notch work for sure.

I've seen plenty of Storn's sketches in other forums here, and I think it's cool that the artists for the product come to the buying fans to get feedback. Yet another reason to like HERO games, they're a very personable, creative bunch.

Originally posted by Storn

eric, very nice stuff.... I particullarly like the "gnoll" too. Great job of line work as shading on the dragon's wings... that is really tough to pull off and I can't do it myself.

Thanks Storn. The Erquigdlit was one of my faves as well. The linework shading works best with a tech pen, by the way :)

Originally posted by misterdeath

Nice stuff. Beautiful Shading. It looks like these are all real critters, and that someone drew them from a duck blind in the wild.

I've got a new Dragon Picture to scare my PCs with.

Thanks for sharing. This stuff is really nice.

Originally posted by Lightray

I thought the artwork was quite good,

On behalf of all the artists who worked on MMM, thanks. In my opinion, MMM is probably one of the tightest publications from Hero that I've worked on, regarding the art and it's use.

Originally posted by Joen00b

I think it's cool that the artists for the product come to the buying fans to get feedback.

An artist can't get more focused or higher quality feedback than from the buying public, Joen00b (apart from good critiques from seasoned professional artists, that is). That's my opinion on it at any rate. And thanks for your feedback :)

I want my own Miniature Dragon. The idea of having a pet who's smarter than i am has a vuage sort of appeal 9although I could probably get the same effect with a goldfish given recent situations....)

Several of the creatures listed as "monsters" would actually make very interesting PC races in the right kind of campaign, and i would like to have seen templates for the, Of course the Dark Elf is a romantic favorite for players who just have the exercise their angst, but several of the other races there look like they would be very appealing for players. the problem is that for most of them in spite of the fact that they ahve normal sentient motivations, you have to train youself to think in alien ways to play one properly. For example, if your mate is only going to have one child over the course of her very long life, protecting that child is going to be more improtant to you than anything in the world, becaueif the child dies you don;t get another one.

I also like the idea of the fantasy race of dream-eaters. They sound monstrous and could be played as evil, but what if they aren't? What if one or two of them serve as a sort of perverse protective function, twisting and feeding off the dreams of evil people, slowly driving them mad until they no longer pose a htreat to the world at large? one could build an entire urban fantasy campaign around characters who can enter and manipulate the dreams of others.

Several of these races might also prove useful for modern Fantays as well. There are still Dragoins in the mountains -- they're just very well hidden, or disguised as humans and walking among us, using what they have accumulated in their hoards over the centuries to be secret movers and shakers in the financial and polcitical worlds. How many of the great bankers and financiers of hisotry could have turned out to be dragons in dsuguise, pretending to "die" of "old age" every fifty years or so to avert surpicion and assuming a new identity to resume their aims? partcilaurly if those aims are malignant?