Reviews for Monsters, Minions, And Marauders wanted

TheQuestionMan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Galadorn

O.K. Bishop, I think you can see how this comment might offend people with my background. ;) You can make fun of the Anglicans anytime. :o

The compliment is returned.... says the husband of the soon to be Anglican priest. (For abyone who didn't know, the Anglican church has supported women in the priesthood for awhile now.)

But hey, thats okay, you've got leadership that can be counted among the best minds of the 14th century! :P

(Actually, thats how a liberal Catholic described the current pope to me.)

On the question of corruption, it really depends on where and when. The Catholic church of today is a very respectable organization as a whole. As much trouble they've had recently with sexual scandals, you have to keep in mind the size of the church and the number of priests, monks, nuns et al out there. Given that, the number of real problems they've had is really pretty minor. I'm jewish, my wife is Epsicopalian (US Anglican) and I don't think either of us would have trouble sending our child to a Jesuit school if it was the best in the area.

The Cahtolic chruch has by far the longest history of any branch of Christianity in the US (with the possible exception of the Greek and Eastern Orthodox churches) and therefor the most time to have had bad periods in. There is no denying that the medevil church became as much a secular empire as a religous organization and many bad things happened because of that. However that is, as they say, history.

Ironically, I see the conservative protestant churchs of today heading straight down the same roads of authoritarian stucture and control that led to the medevil abuses. They say those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it and the Catholic chruch IS the history of the protestants.

CQ

Now back to our scheduled topic.

Just bought MMM.

The positives:

Chock full of Fantasy Enemy goodness. Lost of great Steve Long creations to play with and riff off of.

The Negatives:

at $26.95 for 128 pages its not the best per-page value Hero has brought us.

OTOH theres really NO filler here so those 128 pages contain an awful lot of value.

It was quite common in Norse mythology, for giants to cast spells - especially illusions. Trolls, I'm not sure about. And certainly trolls, to my recollection, were just big dwarf-kin. Though I do remember reading something about a troll and a magic ring, somewhere.

In the stories about Dietrich of Berne (Theodoric) the giants are quite versed in magic and shapeshifting especially.

Originally posted by Rick

Hey guy's take the Discussion on the catholic church to the Non-Game Discussion board. It's not appropriate here.

It may not be appropriate but I have to wonder how the Orthodox Church is any younger than the Catholic Church considering they split from a unified church. One can argue one of the two was the original church but that's, practically, a matter of distinguishing between the two based on insignificant minutia.

Originally posted by Agent X

It may not be appropriate but I have to wonder how the Orthodox Church is any younger than the Catholic Church considering they split from a unified church. One can argue one of the two was the original church but that's, practically, a matter of distinguishing between the two based on insignificant minutia.

Come on guys, I came in here looking for talk about MMM, not the usual NGD stuff.

Take it over there.

Couldn't help myself. I have a thing about history.

What I'd like to know is if people thought there were enough creatures. I'm used to playing in a system with far more monster write-ups available. I have considered trying Fantasy Hero but the relatively small amount of support concerns me.

Have you included whats in the Beastiary in your count?

The other thing to remember is that its arguably easier to build new beasties in Hero because you have the Hero system to work with. With D&D each monster is its own "balancing act" in design.

Just reading through the power list has often given me ideas for opponents.

Originally posted by Catseye

Have you included whats in the Beastiary in your count?

The other thing to remember is that its arguably easier to build new beasties in Hero because you have the Hero system to work with. With D&D each monster is its own "balancing act" in design.

Just reading through the power list has often given me ideas for opponents.

I guess I'm gonna have to sit down and do some math. The other thing I need to consider is how many monsters I actually like. D&D is so extraordinarily large that they have felt the need to create an impossibly large number of incredibly pointless monsters.

Originally posted by Agent X

I guess I'm gonna have to sit down and do some math. The other thing I need to consider is how many monsters I actually like. D&D is so extraordinarily large that they have felt the need to create an impossibly large number of incredibly pointless monsters.

I think that's mostly accidental, through the need to try and surprise the players. What would happen is that, since all players had a copy of the Monster Manual, new modules would introduce new monsters in an effort to make them deal with the unknown. Of course these new monsters would then get published in the next MM, perpetuating the vicious cycle.

Originally posted by Old Man

I think that's mostly accidental, through the need to try and surprise the players. What would happen is that, since all players had a copy of the Monster Manual, new modules would introduce new monsters in an effort to make them deal with the unknown. Of course these new monsters would then get published in the next MM, perpetuating the vicious cycle.

Thats pretty much exactly how it worked out. Also, most of the D&D monsters are just endless permutations on a theme, and/or an expression of the strange concept that any two things can be combined to make a new monster.

Originally posted by Rick

Hey guy's take the Discussion on the catholic church to the Non-Game Discussion board. It's not appropriate here.

Is that why there was an article in Digital Hero about a previous wordly Pope? Because religion isn't a roleplaying topic?

Digital Hero opened the topic up, so it stays. :P No seriously, I wasn't planning on continuing this, anyway.

Is that why there was an article in Digital Hero about a previous wordly Pope? Because religion isn't a roleplaying topic?

Digital Hero opened the topic up, so it stays. :P No seriously, I wasn't planning on continuing this, anyway.

Um, if you can't figure out the reasons, you're being more obtuse than some of the people in NGD are claimed to be.

This isn't the first time I've seen you respond with a venomous post to something not.

Re: Keep to the Topic please

Originally posted by TheQuestionMan

What about the layout of MMM . I was looking forward top seeing a sample , but Steve and crew are so busy that they forgot :( . How good is the index . Trained Monsters in combat an' stuff . Close associations , natural allies/enemies , etc ...

Come on give .

Thanks QM

Index is very good. Page layout is okay. What you expect, nothing special. There are an appropriate number of illustrations, some better then others.

Originally posted by lemming

Um, if you can't figure out the reasons, you're being more obtuse than some of the people in NGD are claimed to be.

This isn't the first time I've seen you respond with a venomous post to something not.

Your interpretation, your perception. If you want to agree with the villification of a Pope, then your a greater troll then I thought.

Lets wait until you die, then write an article about your sins in Digital Hero and make you a villian. What you do think about that?

Your interpretation, your perception. If you want to agree with the villification of a Pope, then your a greater sinner then I thought.

Lets wait until you die, then post your sins in Digital Hero and make you a villian. What you do think about that?

Well, if I'm a sinner I'll be too busy roasting on a spit to care.

Now, the topic was MMM. Not Digital Hero.

The whole sidetrack began when you went off on someone's sig.

catseye made a comment on how the catholic church could have more "bad" periods due to its long history. You then attacked him via his religion.

My apologies to everyone for not letting it drop before this. I'm dropping it now.

Your interpretation, your perception. If you want to agree with the villification of a Pope, then your a greater sinner then I thought.

Lets wait until you die, then write an article about your sins in Digital Hero and make you a villian. What you do think about that?

Its funny, but isn't that the fifth or sixth person on the boards who have had that exact same "perception" of your tone and tenor?

This has gone to the NGD level of relevence in terms of content. The discussion should be taken there, or offline, as it were.

Shut up. Shut up!!! SHUT UP!!!!

If this is a topic you all wish to discuss, Catholicism or your personal feelings about one-another, there is a place fore it. Non-game related discussions. This board is for Fantasy hero topics, and this thread is about MMM. Please cease all posting here that isn't related to MMM, or a VALID tangent.