Reviews for Monsters, Minions, And Marauders wanted

TheQuestionMan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh.

I picked it up in St. Paul at my FLGS on Saturday.

I haven't had time to scour it to my likeing yet, but so far it looks good. Lots of fantasy monsters, most with many options. If you have the Hero System Bestiary, it feels like a companion to that. So far I'm not seeing alot of setting specific stuff, but then I am still reading the monsters. I like how alot of the Giants and Trolls are stated out a big lumbering brutes, but their optional packages include of magic VPPs for those more fantastic Faerie Trolls.

If you run supers or modern heroic genres, I don't know how much use you will get out of this. If you are Running Fantasy hero it would be a must have.

Originally posted by Jhamin

I like how alot of the Giants and Trolls are stated out a big lumbering brutes, but their optional packages include of magic VPPs for those more fantastic Faerie Trolls.

It was quite common in Norse mythology, for giants to cast spells - especially illusions. Trolls, I'm not sure about. And certainly trolls, to my recollection, were just big dwarf-kin. Though I do remember reading something about a troll and a magic ring, somewhere.

Love it.

Excellent use of some normal animals as monsters, wolves with horns and such... reminds me of that panther with wings that hung around in the Wormy comic in Dragon so long ago... Steve didn't just stick horns on the wolf, tho... He changed the way they behave... very cool/

And the War Demon... He's a HORSE... love that.

Get this book, ye huddled masses of HERO GM's yearning to scare the pants off yer players...

I can't really claim all the credit for the Calopus; it's from medieval legendry. Same the Butatsch, for which one playtester asked, "Howcum a creature that lives in the water has fire powers?" Don't ask me, man; ask the medieval Swiss. ;)

Solomoriah the shadowcat! I remember that guy. Wormy was definitely a cool comic strip. One of the best things about DRAGON MAGAZINE ON CD-ROM is that I have all the strips now. ;)

Re: Love it.

Originally posted by Jkeown

Excellent use of some normal animals as monsters, wolves with horns and such... reminds me of that panther with wings that hung around in the Wormy comic in Dragon so long ago...

You mean, the shadowcat. :P That was a great plot thread. :)

Oops, I see Steve beat me to the punch. :P

Originally posted by Jhamin

Huh.

I picked it up in St. Paul at my FLGS on Saturday.

I haven't had time to scour it to my likeing yet, but so far it looks good. Lots of fantasy monsters, most with many options. If you have the Hero System Bestiary, it feels like a companion to that. So far I'm not seeing alot of setting specific stuff, but then I am still reading the monsters. I like how alot of the Giants and Trolls are stated out a big lumbering brutes, but their optional packages include of magic VPPs for those more fantastic Faerie Trolls.

If you run supers or modern heroic genres, I don't know how much use you will get out of this. If you are Running Fantasy hero it would be a must have.

Let's see. Pencil in 5 minute hate for Jhamin for getting it before me. Nothing personal, but I must purge the green-eyed monster lest it fester inside me.;)

Wait! Possible entry for MMM2?

Originally posted by Galadorn

When you get a statistical clue about corruption in religion, I'll let you know.:mad:

Galadorn

Order of Discalced Secular Carmelites

Of the Catholic Church

Professed Member of Seven Years [/b]

Galadorn, I believe the Bishop's signature is a line from a character in the "Blackadder" comedy television series, whose name he's taken for his board handle. It's set in medieval times and is a satire of the mores and practices of that era, including the Catholic Church.

I'm pretty certain that it in no way reflects his personal view of the modern Church. :)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Galadorn, I believe the Bishop's signature is a line from a character in the "Blackadder" comedy television series, whose name he's taken for his board handle. It's set in medieval times and is a satire of the mores and practices of that era, including the Catholic Church.

I'm pretty certain that it in no way reflects his personal view of the modern Church. :)

I'll let him speak for himself, but thank you. :)

Originally posted by Galadorn

When you get a statistical clue about corruption in religion, I'll let you know.:mad:

Galadorn

Order of Discalced Secular Carmelites

Of the Catholic Church

Professed Member of Seven Years [/b]

The second Blackadder series (Elizabethan period) has an episode called 'Money' which centers around Blackadder's efforts to raise 1,000 pounds to pay off the Bank of the Black Monks. He can't do it so he drugs the Bishop of Bath and Wells (played brilliantly by Ronald Lacey, whom you might remember as Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark) and has a DaVinciesque artist create a painting showing him in a compromising position with Blackadder's hanger-on Lord Percy Percy. The quote is the Bishop's response before acquiescing to blackmail. The quote is funny because the writers exaggerated the corruption in the Anglican Church at the time for effect. The Bishop was expressing how impressed as well as angry he was. I have seen an interview with the present-day Bishop of Bath and Wells and he wasn't offended at all by it because it wasn't intended to be considered accurate by the viewers.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Originally posted by BishopofB&W

The second Blackadder series (Elizabethan period) has an episode called 'Money' which centers around Blackadder's efforts to raise 1,000 pounds to pay off the Bank of the Black Monks. He can't do it so he drugs the Bishop of Bath and Wells (played brilliantly by Ronald Lacey, whom you might remember as Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark) and has a DaVinciesque artist create a painting showing him in a compromising position with Blackadder's hanger-on Lord Percy Percy. The quote is the Bishop's response before acquiescing to blackmail. The quote is funny because the writers exaggerated the corruption in the Anglican Church at the time for effect. The Bishop was expressing how impressed as well as angry he was. I have seen an interview with the present-day Bishop of Bath and Wells and he wasn't offended at all by it because it wasn't intended to be considered accurate by the viewers.

I hope that clears it up for you.

O.K. Bishop, I think you can see how this comment might offend people with my background. ;) You can make fun of the Anglicans anytime. :o No seriously, I try to have a respect for all religions. :)