Sun Magic for Champions

Sparxj

Hey all, dusting off my Champions skills after about 10 years hiatus and need some build help. 

Trying to build Sun Magic that requires a skill roll to use and the skill roll is harder at night. Not trying to reduce the power level at night, just harder to access.  How would this be done on a power or power framework?  

Thanks. 

Edited by Sparxj

I'm going easy here.  One skill roll difficulty for day and one for night.  The idea of sliding difficulty would be nice but more bookkeeping than might fit the campaign 

How much harder?  Could be up to twice as hard.  I'm looking at RSR, but can't figure out how to set 2 criteria on one power.  

Probably adjust the normal Skill Roll limitation of -1/2 to -3/4 and add an additional penalty of -2 to the roll at night time.  If the character will frequently be active at night a -1 limitation might work.

Possibly gradations based on time of night such as an additional -1 from Sunset to 9pm, then -2 from 9pm to 3am, and back to -1 from 3am to sunrise.

Personally, I'd just average them.

Figure out the limitation the skill roll penalty would give you during day. Figure out the limitation the skill roll penalty would give you at night. Set your limitation value on the power at the mid-point between the two.

That's assuming that days and nights are roughly equivalent in length on the world, which might not be the case if there are multiple suns or multiple large moons.

Buy the magic as Requires A Skill Based Roll.  Buy the corresponding skill.  Buy two levels in the skill, Usable Only During Daylight. 

This achieves the two point difficulty swing without any fancy business on the Requires A Roll modifier, since it offloads the variability to the skill itself. 

I'd probably call it an extra -1/4 or -1/2 Limitation on the power and call it good.

Depending, like Toxxus says, on how much sneaking around at night is likely to occur in the game.

Gnome BODY (important!)'s solution is pretty elegant.

The only, very minor, fairly meta issue I would have with it is that strictly speaking the power isn't more limited\harder to use at night, they are just less good with it.

But that's something that I'm only a Champs nerd would twitch at and nothing to do with the simplicity of the solution. :D

Thanks all for the quick responses.   Still willing to take ideas but Gnome BODY (important!) has me sold on the simplicity of it all.  

We were really overthinking it here in my group chat.  I knew it had to be easier than we saw.