Fox is dead roadblock

JmOz

I have been running a campaign called the fox is dead.  We are getting close to the climax, but I have a problem

The Big Bad is actually a possessing spirit.  The players are sure it is the host, but none of them have the ability to find out about the ghost...

38 minutes ago, JmOz said:

I have been running a campaign called the fox is dead.  We are getting close to the climax, but I have a problem

The Big Bad is actually a possessing spirit.  The players are sure it is the host, but none of them have the ability to find out about the ghost...

That is why you have a trusted NPC with the required power.

Move the confrontation to a site with conditions which may force the spirit to become manifest, depending on your concept: consecrated ground; a place with traumatic emotional associations for the spirit; proximity to a device giving off energy which can affect Astral presences. Or have him come face to face with someone important from his past. Or let the PCs discover a journal describing his activities and intentions before death, and maybe after.

(BTW I read the thread title before I saw which forum it's in, and assumed it was a political commentary on Fox News.) :stupid:

The basic idea is that this guy and the original Fox (A generation hero for the last 250 years) were enemies.  When the Fox killed him (more violent time) his ghost has wanted power and vengeance, possesses a guy, becomes powerful (Political, financial), rinse lather repeat

29 minutes ago, JmOz said:

The basic idea is that this guy and the original Fox (A generation hero for the last 250 years) were enemies.  When the Fox killed him (more violent time) his ghost has wanted power and vengeance, possesses a guy, becomes powerful (Political, financial), rinse lather repeat

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Or let the PCs discover a journal describing his activities and intentions before death, and maybe after.

I like this idea.  You could even make an adventure about it - the enemy finds out Fox wrote about his ability to possess people and sends some minions to locate and retrieve Fox's notes.  The heroes get wind of this (but not why the enemy wants the journal, just that he wants it so badly) and can recover it first. 

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Move the confrontation to a site with conditions which may force the spirit to become manifest, depending on your concept: consecrated ground; a place with traumatic emotional associations for the spirit; proximity to a device giving off energy which can affect Astral presences. Or have him come face to face with someone important from his past. Or let the PCs discover a journal describing his activities and intentions before death, and maybe after.

(BTW I read the thread title before I saw which forum it's in, and assumed it was a political commentary on Fox News.) :stupid:

I figured it was about Fox Entertainment.  But this sounds like a fun campaign.

If you want to do belt and braces you already have the idea of ghosts and spirits and possession, allow the spirit of Fox to animate someone, something else, not 100% of who he is or why he NEEDS to talk to the heroes.  He might possess the body of an NPC or contact used by the heroes and be able to rpovide snippets of information.  It may be that when they get the journal there are encrypted passages or cryptic clues that only real Fox would know about.  This is where having even a partially amnesiac Fox right there could be crucial...

Doc