'19-'20 NBA Thread. Let the post Warriors World Begin

Guys. If the Warriors win this year I think there will be suicides all over the nation. 

Who's your favorite? This could be the first time in a long while that neither team from the Championship series repeats. Both teams lost major contributors. 

The good teams got gooder? The bad teams stayed bad. Players have taken the helm and owners everywhere are perhaps pissing themselves. 

Are we excited?

Kawhi-Leonard-2.jpg&f=1

I'm not as knowledgeable about the NBA as some, but I understand the teams to beat in the West are now the Lakers, the Jazz (Really? Are you sure?), and the Clippers (What?! That can't be right....).

It's going to be a strange year.

I still think Houston is in the mix...unless I missed a big trade or free agent escapee. But Houston will be in the mix. I want to say Portland will be as well, since Dame, CJ, and 3 other guys can get to the playoffs at will. Denver is still scary good and if the loss to Portland made them hungrier instead of breaking them, they're in there. The Jazz do look good. They got a scoring point guard who plays good defense in Conley.  They fixed their front court logjam with the leaving of Derrick Favors. 

The Clippers (by the way, I believe Jerry West is in the Clipper's front office) stepped on the Laker's collective ball sacks and I love it.

And I'm honestly, not sure how afraid of the Lakers I would be. Though they signed Boogie who is good and further from the acl injury. He worked well with AD in New Orleans. I'm assuming they got along or LA wouldn't take a flier on Cousins of AD was not on board. (But given the Laker drama of the last five years I wouldn't necessarily put it past them to bring in locker room poison)

Listening to some basketball gurus podcasts, can we talk about teams that have been acquired by *good* owners and hired *good* gms to run their team and turned around decades of futility? Case in point, your LA Clippers on the west coast and Brooklyn Nets in the east. 

They were punchlines for years because the Clippers were owned by a cheap, ignorant, racist who wanted a team to show of to his rich friends. And the Nets who were a franchise in flux got purchased by a Russian Billionaire who tried to buy a championship and then supposedly mortgaged the future of the franchise on past their prime stars. The Nets had traded away draft picks for years. But in the last three years they've hit pay dirt with limited draft picks and managed space. They built a culture and turned young players with chips on their shoulders into a playoff team (in the east, yes) just like what the Clippers did in the west. They broke up their best team in decades and made a playoff run with a team that gelled around no superstars.

They managed to haul in 4 of the biggest Free Agents between them and the prestige teams in their same cities dropped the ball (though it's really hard to say the Lakers dropped the ball too much, the Knicks are garbage.)

The bulk of the power shifted towards the West again so that imbalance is still there (less so next year when KD runs roughshod over the east - assuming he's physically capable) Philadelphia is huge. Just huge. The Bucks don't look much stronger than they did last year but we'll see. is this the year Orlando gets it's head out and starts playing to the talent people claim they have? How will Indiana look with Olowadipo back?

Going to be an exciting year and that's assuming none of the rookies are meteors. (Zion will probably be exciting to watch, maybe Ja Morent) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the commentators I heard, the Pelicans are supposedly in very good shape this season. Lonzo Ball has had a completely different summer now that he's not a Laker anymore -- getting a real agent, hiring a chef to prepare his off-season training meals  (as opposed to grabbing cheeseburgers at In-and-Out) and in other words applying himself to be a professional basketball player. LaVar seems to have lost interest in his eldest son's career, preferring to position his youngest (now playing pro ball in Australia) to be the #1 pick overall.  But Big Baller Brand has just about completely imploded (apparently the shoes were terrible, though nobody seemed to care) and the media has tired of the act. Hearing less from LaVar Ball is a good thing in my opinion.

Not that I've ever been a huge basketball fan anyway, but the NBA's treatment of this whole China affair bugs me. For an organization that prides itself on being politically progressive and 'woke', this kowtowing to a foreign power in the interest of economic benefit  feels straight out of the Trump playbook.

Opinion: LeBron James undermines values he's espoused in most disgraceful moment of career

tl;dr version: James said that Rockets GM Daryl Morey "Could have waited a week to send it"--'it' being a tweet that criticized China's handling of the Hong Kong situation and ultimately resulted in the cancellation of a bunch of publicity events.

it's not just China. Though they've got the centralized power. Most megacorps are well on their way to our cyberpunk dystopic futures. Just look at all the things nestle owns. 

But this is a basketball thread! 

I'm wondering if the Lakers are going to implode harder than Houston. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 1:29 PM, Enforcer84 said:

it's not just China. Though they've got the centralized power. Most megacorps are well on their way to our cyberpunk dystopic futures. Just look at all the things nestle owns. 

But this is a basketball thread! 

I'm wondering if the Lakers are going to implode harder than Houston. 

Hey look, you got Melo!

Umm, congratulations?