'19-'20 NBA Thread. Let the post Warriors World Begin

Donovan Mitchell has now tested positive.

All of the commissioners would suspend the season immediately after a player tests positive.  The entire team and staff would then be suspect and you couldn't have that team then go out and 'breathe heavily' in close proximity to other people.  It would be ridiculous.  The NBA made an obvious decision.  For example, as soon as a baseball player tests positive they will suspend the season...remember, suspension doesn't mean cancel.

And members of the Raptors' traveling party have tested positive.  Raptors played the Jazz on Monday.  In Utah.  Take your pick of causal connections...they're all BAD.

The NBA is in the worst position in this regard, from a contagion standpoint;  the Jazz played against 5 different teams in the last 10 days.  

If a baseball player tests positive right now...my god, that's hurricane warning.  Because so many teams are so close to each other during spring training...so it could easily spread to 2-3 teams...and then of course anyone they've played against.  

ATP (men's tennis) has cancelled all events for the next 6 weeks.  Miami Open was killed by the travel ban;  of the top 30 players, 26 are from Europe.  It also includes the Monte Carlo Masters, so with Indian Wells, that means 1/3 of the top-level events have been cancelled.  (The ATP does not run the grand slams.)  La Liga has suspended events for a few days.

BREAKING NEWS:  SEC, Big Ten, and AAC basketball tournament have just been cancelled.  EDIT:  and just now the Big 12 and ACC have just done the same.

8 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I am not a big sports fan, but my profound sympathies for the many of you are. This sucks.

The loss of the events is irrelevant, IMO.  The takeaway is just how serious the situation is.  I also feel bad for those indirectly affected...a basketball game with 15,000 fans in attendance has, what, maybe 750 or 1000 vendors, ticket takers, maintenance people, etc. etc. etc.  They're out of jobs.

1 minute ago, unclevlad said:

The loss of the events is irrelevant, IMO.  The takeaway is just how serious the situation is.  I also feel bad for those indirectly affected...a basketball game with 15,000 fans in attendance has, what, maybe 750 or 1000 vendors, ticket takers, maintenance people, etc. etc. etc.  They're out of jobs.

Fair points, but sympathies anyway for many...

I'm sympathizing... you can't stop me..wmahahha

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Blazers beat the Lakers in Game 1.

Outstanding.

I rather liked that one myself, altho Sir Charles was being an ass.  Gee, big revelation there, right?  Shaq was worse, tho.  Those two are back at sniping at each other, which makes watching those segments almost impossible.  Game was fun, tho.  

Be interesting if both top seeds fall in the first round...but I couldn't call it historic.  Not in this Twilight Zone of a year.

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Be interesting if both top seeds fall in the first round...but I couldn't call it historic.  Not in this Twilight Zone of a year.

Especially since it's already happened...in the Stanley Cup playoffs last season.

That's hockey.  Does anyone really pay attention?

<ducks>

More to the point, a hot goalie can be enough to carry a team through for a short stretch.  Hockey upsets are far more common.  There's an article from 2016;  in the 28 series with 1 vs. 8, the 8 seed won 6 times.  And figure this year in the NHL is even more abnormal;  are those really #1 seeds by overall level of play all year, or due to the round-robin among the top 4 seeds?  

And who's really ready to play there?  How many games did they have before they started these "playoffs"?  5?  Not many in any case.  It's a problem with every sport.  If you like taking the occasional flyer, this might be the year to put down a few oddball bets, as the potential for a serious long shot to pull off the big surprise   

aaaarrrrrggghhhhh......

Watching Bucks/Magic game 3.  It's turning into a blowout...19 point lead for Bucks, mid 2nd period...when tempers blow.  Looked like pretty normal push/shove under the basket on a rebound;  player on the Bucks takes offense, pushes one of the Magic.  Of course this leads to Yo Mama hissyfits...and the Magic player tries to throw a punch before they can be separated.  

The ridiculous aspect was Stan Van Gundy's whiny "I hate seeing players ejected" and "this is disproportionate" BS, as both players got tossed.  (This meant the Magic are down their top 3 forwards.)  Deserved, IMO;  one pushed, the other tried to punch.  There was no ambiguity in any of it.  Van Gundy (well, ok, both of em) go soooo far over the top IMO with that "oh it's terrible, they're ejected in the playoffs!"  GAG!!!!  DON'T THROW THE PUNCH!  The Bucks guy would've been the only one tossed.  LEARN SOME SELF CONTROL.  

Had to vent;  Jeff Van Gundy did the same thing when Porzyngis got tossed.  I am utterly sick and tired of "analysts" saying "oh we should ignore the rules because the consequences are so bad for the competition!" rather than blaming the player for not following them.

Celtics - Sixers, game 4.  A very choppy game throughout...tons of fouls.  Tobias Harris takes a NASTY fall and crash, onto the side of his face.  Really takes the air out of the Sixers and they really can't mount any kind of rally, so the entire 4th is...ok, not a blowout, but a situation where no one expects the Sixers to come back.

Then there were the usual ton of fouls, a few long, tedious reviews.  Brad Stevens calls a timeout after a review with the Celtics having the ball, and enough of a lead with 7 seconds left to not worry.

Doris Burke dropped one of the best comments ever.  "The end of this game feels like a bad date."

Nailed it!

Been thinking about 76ers.  Seems things kind of went off the rails in a lot of ways with the Butler trade. And the guys they traded Saric and especially Covington were ideal players for their system. Of course, Butler gave them a lot, but  the GM tried to peak the organization a year too early, and probably not helped by every move since then being increasingly baffling.

Though, I kind of wonder if Jimmy Butler should get the nickname "the Demolition Man" as 2 promising up and coming teams have fallen to wreckage upon his leaving. (and his Chicago tenure ended in a volatile manner) Wonder if Miami should get nervous.

Philly, got impatient. The Process was working but they didn't see any results because Embiid missed most of his first two seasons and Simmons missed his first. So they fired the GM who did all that drafting and brought in one who wanted to win right away.  The Butler trade was a talent upgrade that ruined the composition of the lineup and was too soon to integrate with the young stars still learning to play together. Add in two very expensive free agent signings (Horford and Harris) and the questionable decision to let Reddick go and here we are.

Yeah Redick is a good enough shooter to help almost ignore Simmons isnt. Covington was kind of the caulk to the rotation, 3 and D.  Richardson isnt a bad fit actually, but not e ough to replace Redick or  covington. Tobias Harris isnt hugely bad....at half the actual price, and like the Butler they lost better fits to get him.  Horford was an absolute square peg.

Sometimes less talent fits in better and makes things better overall.

Oh, some of it is on the players. But the reality is that Embiid and Simmons are going to be inconsistent. It's only the third year for each to be on the floor(everyone is Magic or LeBron or Luka) and they are still young and, until Simmons develops a consistent shot, both are low post scorers. If they develop their wings, they have a bright future but the problem is that Boston's may be brighter.