"Print to pdf" not working

Mimer

1. Print to PDF is only for characters (and only for characters using the built-in templates -- custom characteristics will throw the process off).

2. If you are receiving the error on a character, you'll want to ensure that you have full permissions to the directory that you're running HD from. Under Windows, this is not always obvious (due to UAC).

Just now, Simon said:

1. Print to PDF is only for characters (and only for characters using the built-in templates -- custom characteristics will throw the process off).

2. If you are receiving the error on a character, you'll want to ensure that you have full permissions to the directory that you're running HD from. Under Windows, this is not always obvious (due to UAC).

1. The example above is a regular "Superheroic" character, no custom characteristics or templates etc. at all. The same error message appears for ordinary "Heroic" characters.

2. The hard drive I run Hero designer from is in a separate regular Hard drive (it's not the Windows/boot drive), with full permissions.

Without further details on the issue (trace.log file, a character file, etc.), the only answer I can give is that you're running into permissions issues with either the drive you're running HD from or the directory you're saving the PDF to.

First determine if it's something in the character file (not indicated by the trace.log, but worth checking):  start a new character (empty) and try the Print to PDF to the same location you were trying with the full character.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

First determine if it's something in the character file (not indicated by the trace.log, but worth checking):  start a new character (empty) and try the Print to PDF to the same location you were trying with the full character.

Tried that with Superheroic and Heroic, same result.

Then it's either the directory that you're running HD from or the directory that you're saving the PDFs to -- you/HD do not have proper access to them, generating an error at the system level when Java tries to create the requisite files.

• 1 month later...

I ran into this same issue when trying to print out a 'computer' and was never able to. I am not versed it what might caused the problem or how to fix it, but when I ran into this problem once I think the way I solved it was selecting the proper export format, closing program and opening again and it worked for me, no clue why, it just did (I can do it for characters but not for computer built w/ the program, also no clue why). I have even downloaded a few character export formats from the forums and proven they work also. Hope this helps in some way.

17 hours ago, Jayzon said:

I ran into this same issue when trying to print out a 'computer' and was never able to. I am not versed it what might caused the problem or how to fix it, but when I ran into this problem once I think the way I solved it was selecting the proper export format, closing program and opening again and it worked for me, no clue why, it just did (I can do it for characters but not for computer built w/ the program, also no clue why). I have even downloaded a few character export formats from the forums and proven they work also. Hope this helps in some way.

As I understand it, there's a difference between the fixed "print to pdf"-function and chosing an export format (do correct me if I'm wrong here). The latter works fine for me.

As for the former, I apparently can't get it  to work on either of my computers, so I've basically given up on using that option.

Try uninstalling the program and reinstalling it again, maybe that works? I know me and another person had the problem that it would not let us use the pdf option either, but I cant remember how we fixed it. I do know I have reinstalled the program twice since I got it to get rid of problems and it works fine afterwards.

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, Hatut Zeraze said:

Where exactly is this "Print to PDF" option?  In the guide, it says it is "from the Current Character menu", but I see nothing of the sort in the drop-down box of Current Character.

"Print to PDF" functionality has been removed in a recent Hero Designer update.  It was a bolt-on feature from an independent developer, and there were compatibility issues with recent versions of Java.  You can use one of the many Export Formats available in the Downloads section of this website.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 10:05 AM, Tasha said:

IMHO the export formats always looked better anyways. At least the type doesn't go microscopic if you were too wordy in an entry.

Yep, for the most part that seems to be true.

I usually go in and edit the RTF document when  go too crazy with multiple Multipowers with many advantages/limitations. :)

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...