Dungeon Draft: October 2019

death tribble

16 hours ago, Pariah said:

I like traveling by train, but I probably wouldn't go to England that way.

My wife and I took a train from Paris to Madrid one time.  What a comical affair.

We're American so we booked a *large* cabin since we knew they'd be smaller than we expected.  The train staff we're all consummate professionals and the bar bar-car was great.

However, the *beds* we're these fold out from the wall affairs (one above the other no less) that were sized for 12 year olds.  Even before I got old and fat - My shoulder was hanging off the side of the almost-bed.

There was a water-facet / urinal in the car with "no solids" written in four languages.

At one point my wife went searching for a toilet and came back after finding nothing but a "wash closet".  I had to explain that was European for toilet and sent her back.

Everything at this point is within tolerances and then the sleepy-time through-the-mountains phase of the trip began.  As the train's weight shifted from one side to the other the damage to our particular car became apparent.

Each and every turn for the next 6+ hours would result in a metallic creaking noise for a solid 20+ seconds that would end with a nerve-wracking PONG.

Six. Hours.

SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRK - PONG!

Over and over and over.

F*ck trains.

About sixteen hours to go, and we have a Plan.  A sick, perverted, disgusting plan.  Despite severe temptations, it doesn't even involve any actual provably real ... people.  

Watch me get sniped on Day Two and have to rework it all from scratch.

I'll go first then:

Location:  There is a great canyon of sheared and shattered reddish stone called the Ertuk.. 

In the center of the canyon is a single, massive pillar of stone that rises nearly 400 feet above the canyon floor.  The great cartographers of the Grey City have named this pillar the Eye of Ertuk as that is the shape of it on their sprawling maps.

Who Built It:  Ancient oral traditions claim that massive sheets of ice larger than Grey Mountain gouged the mighty canyon from the earth as they slid south and melted.  The learned scholars of the day, of course, scoff at such ludicrous mythology while their archaeologists scour the canyon and pillar for clues to which historical nation could have built such a massive affair.

12 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

I'll go first then:

Location:  There is a great canyon of sheared and shattered reddish stone called the Ertuk.. 

In the center of the canyon is a single, massive pillar of stone that rises nearly 400 feet above the canyon floor.  The great cartographers of the Grey City have named this pillar the Eye of Ertuk as that is the shape of it on their sprawling maps.

Location is the only pick for the day.

Many days of travel away, somewhere north of Langlach and south of the joining of the Pita and the Aula rivers, in the dreary, pine-covered highlands, lies a ruin. Once a great city and citadel, the actual name of the place has been forgotten long ago. Or forgotten and forgotten -- "suppressed" is more like it. It was the seat of the immortal Troll King, scourge of the Elves, hammer of the Dwarves, and enslaver of Men. He probably et babies alive, too. So, when the day finally came when all his enemies finally rose up together against him, no-one was really surprised.

After a bloody war, the Troll King was driven back to his stronghold with just the remnants of his hird to hold off the rest of the western world. Under the gates of his own great keep, king Dag slew him in single combat and almost perished from the poisonous fumes of the great troll's blood. After the battle and the great sack, the kings of Dwarves, Elves, and Men together called down the curse of the high gods on the fastness that it should forever be abandoned, for none had the art to pull down the walls that the Troll King had raised by black arts.

Now, many many man-ages later, the dust and quiet of the Troll King's City is disturbed by the coming of heroes. Heroes in great need indeed.

In the mountains known as The Dragon's Fangs lies Iron Crag. The great pass leads away from it toward civilisation, It is obvious to anyone who studies the local geography that Iron Crag has been altered or sculpted as it is lower than the other mountains either side and the top has been flattened. The remains of a fortress can still be seen from the pass below although you have to get to the top to see that the buildings in the interior have been reduced to rubble.

:confused:  Why?  I thought about putting mine in several real places: under the Great Pyramid, in the remnant of Tambora, in a site now drowned under Lake Roosevelt after Grand Coulee Dam was built, and under an island destroyed by one of the nuclear weapons tests in the 1950s.  The dungeon obviously can't be real, but if someone wants a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles genre entry then putting their fictional catacombs under a real place -- specifically New York, or even a specific site in New York -- is spot on.  The Hellmouth goes somewhere.

EDIT:  Why not an X-Files sort of thing, located either at Area 51 (which does exist) or outside Roswell (which is a dump, but a real dump; I've been there)?  Just so you could cast Scully?

I will see what happens this time around.

However I never thought that anyone would use the real world or Mars and then plan dungeons around it.

My fault I assumed dungeon naturally meant fiction. Besides i thought it was covered in the rules that they all had to be in the same reality. Which we have veered off from drastically.

Live and learn. I'll amend the rules so that next time we work in the same reality.

Meantime people can continue as is. We'll see what happens.