Captain America Build 350 pts

Overthrower

I've looked at and tried a few different builds over the years, trying to depict his abilities with the shield in the best way possible, this was my latest attempt, please tell me what you think and I would love to see other player's versions. He's a pretty tough character to truly capture, let's see what we can come up with.:D

Now this version just got updated temporarily because I now find myself having the same or similar problems I've been faced with in the past, I make a build in hero Designer only to find out that in an updated version something I came up with doesn't fly. This time around it was H-TO-H attack, I had purchased ranged, based on STR,but when I updated to 2.42 it said I can't buy ranged on that power. SO I then instead bought ranged as a naked power advantage in the compound power, I also bought the AF on the naked modifier and on his Ranged MA attack. Do you guys think the naked modifier covers the effect I'm looking for or do you think I should buy it w/o the AF and only put AF on the MA move? He will be built on 350 pts after I move some points around, but I just wanted to get everyone's opinion first.

I'm looking forward to everyone's input, writing up chars such as this is a pretty fun hobby!

Captain America

Player:

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

21 DEX 33

20 CON 20

15 BODY 10

15 INT 5

13 EGO 6

25 PRE 15

15 COM 3

5/20 PD 1

5/20 ED 1

6 SPD 29

15 REC 14

40 END 0

36 STUN 1

10" RUN 8

2" SWIM 0

8" LEAP 4

Characteristics Cost: 160

Cost Power

19 Cap's Shield: (Total: 57 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 10) plus +1 with DCV (5 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2) (Real Cost: 1) plus Range Based On STR (+1/4), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); OAF Unbreakable Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; -2), Autofire Must Target Multiple Opponents (-1/4) for up to 20 Active Points of STR (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 5)

10 Scale Uniform: Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); OIF Durable Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2)

Powers Cost: 29

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

2 Weapon Element (Shield): Default Element, Empty Hand, Off Hand

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Heroic Martial Arts

4 1) Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 8d6 Strike

4 2) Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike

5 3) Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike

4 4) Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND

5 5) Defensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, 6d6 Strike

3 6) Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 7) Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 40 STR to Disarm

4 8) Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

Ranged Combat

11 1) Quick Shot: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +2 DC, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (11 Active Points)

Martial Arts Cost: 54

Cost Skill

24 +3 with All Combat

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bureaucratics 14-

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 Security Systems 12-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 13-

Skills Cost: 48

Cost Perk

27 Contact (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (27 Active Points) 13-

5 Favor

5 Money: Well Off

6 Reputation: Sentinel Of Liberty (A large group) 14-, +2/+2d6

Perks Cost: 43

Cost Talent

3 Absolute Range Sense

3 Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

10 Follow-Through Attack

6 Lightning Reflexes: +4 DEX to act first with All Actions

5 Resistance (5 points)

Talents Cost: 27

Total Character Cost: 361

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Strong)

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

20 Hunted: 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

25 Hunted: Red Skull 11- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Cross Bones 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

20 Reputation: Must Help The Helpless, 14- (Extreme)

10 Distinctive Features: Sentinel Of Liberty (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Social Limitation: Public I.D. (Frequently, Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 11

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Captain American Build 350 pts

The Shield should not be listed as expendable, difficult to replace. That is a limitation that is meant to reflect "eye of newt, toe of frog" type stuff. Contents that are used up by a spell of the likes.

As such, I think your shield is going to be substantially more expensive.

Let me review the rest of the build and see if I have any other comments.

I see what your saying, I never thought of it like that, I just looked at it as the shield is one of a kind. But does the naked range modifier work as intended? I basically want to buy the shield with all of it's abilities, I never liked the Cap versions that bought EB to represent the shield throw. I want to represent the ability to actually throw it with his STR. Maybe I should look up spears and daggers in the books, see how they are handled as thrown weapons.

I've never tried to build Captain America but I have built his shield and Wolverines claws (since their power levels are kind of tied to each other).

I posted most of this on another thread as well.

30 The Shield - by Whammo! v3.3: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots OIF Unbreakable (Inaccessable Arm Straps; -1/2), Requires A DEX Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

[Notes: The Lockout on Frisbee Throw and Ranged instances of Cutting Edge and Deflect only comes into play if those actions fail (miss) or the shield is actively attacked (or deflected) itself. Not all slots are necessary for a character to purchase to begin with (some could be learned with XP). The CSL's within some slots represent the amazing lightness of the Shield. The Requires DEX Roll offsets this somewhat (in the hands of an inexperienced user at least).]

3u 1) Shield Bash: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Personal Immunity (Only To Counter Damage Shield; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; Only To Counter Damage Shield; +3/4) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus +3 with HTH Combat (15 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6)

[Notes: Up to 20 STR damage can be added with Advantages. Non-movement based Martial Arts and Haymaker bonus DC's add normally. Multiply velocity divisors by 3. Move By adds +1 DC/15". Move Through adds +1 DC/9".] - END=0

2u 2) Frisbee Throw: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Lockout (Only If Thrown AND the attack misses OR is Blocked/Deflected; -1/2), Limited Range (Based On STR; -1/4) - END=0

2u 3) Cutting Edge (HTH or Ranged): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (vs. PD), Personal Immunity (Only To Counter Damage Shield; +1/4), Range Based On STR (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; Only To Counter Damage Shield; +3/4), Penetrating (x2; +1) (75 Active Points); Lockout (Only If Thrown AND the attack misses OR is Blocked/Deflected; -1/2)

[Notes: Due to Advantages it takes +25 STR to add +1 Damage Class. 75 STR would be needed to reach maximum damage of 2d6k.] - END=0

2u 4) Deflect: (Total: 73 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Hardened (+1/4), Full Range (+1) (65 Active Points); Lockout (Only If Thrown AND the attack misses OR is Blocked/Deflected; -1/2), Conditional Power Range Based On Strength (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20) plus +2 OCV with any two categories of combat (HTH and Ranged) (8 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3)

[Notes: 2 CSL's can be used towards Missile Deflection or Block.] - END=0

2u 5) Basic Defense: Force Field (12 PD/12 ED/6 Power Defense), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Hardened (x4; +1) (75 Active Points); Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2) - END=0

2u 6) Full Defense (Of Others): Force Wall (12 PD/12 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (Bracing; +1/4) (75 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4) [Notes: Acts as 12" Knockback Resistance] - END=6

2u 7) Land Like A Feather: Leaping 60", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Stop Falling Velocitiy Damage (-2) - END=6

50 I've Got Claws!: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (-1/2)

[Notes: Figured damage totals assume a character with 20 STR.]

5u 1) Slash!: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 50 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1), Penetrating (x2; +1) (70 Active Points) (Real Cost: 47) plus +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3) - END=0

5u 2) Thrust!: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6+1 (4 1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points) - END=0

5u 3) Slash! v2: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 50 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([Force Field or Force Wall]; +1), Does BODY (+1) (70 Active Points) (Real Cost: 47) plus +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points) (Real Cost: 3) - END=0

I'm pretty sure my 350 point version of Batman could easily be modified with the above shield to make a decent Cap'. Note that my Batman only has a 4 SPD but this is keeping in line with the rest of my Justice League who all have 4 SPD except for Flash who has SPD 6.

:cool:

HM

Those look good, but my only problem is with multi-power. In a power that includes both offense and defense, you basically set the pool points to one or the other on a given phase, so if you attack with Shield Bash! then you got no defense for the shield if someone attacks you during phases until you go again and can change your slots accordingly, unless of course you have flexible slots,but then your not gonna fight at full power if you split the pool up.

I've only ever liked MP for powers like the claws you wrote up, all offense, since your only going to make one attack per given phase, so you can choose which power you want to attack with. Great for power armors or spells and such. With defenses it can also be useful as you can choose which defense to use at full power or what ever, but mixing the two just makes me have to think about what I'm doing from phase to phase and can slow the game down, especially if I have to calculate how many dice I'm using from a power based on a split pool, which can be a real PITA if they got modifiers on them.

Well, in the comics whenever Cap' used the shield as an attack weapon (by throwing it or bashing with it) he was sacrificing the ability to use it defensively. Conversely, if he's using the shield defensively without actually using the Block or Missile Deflect options he can still attack with his other fist and/or feet via Martial Arts.

re: 'only' making one attack in a given phase

Captain America is practically the poster boy for the Sweep Maneuver.

but mixing the two just makes me have to think about what I'm doing from phase to phase and can slow the game down' date=' [/quote']

This problem would go away after you played the character a few times, I suspect.

It's a case of skill and practice. You learn what works in different situations, and go with that.

...but mixing the two just makes me have to think about what I'm doing from phase to phase and can slow the game down.

I don't understand what the problem is.

Both multipowers are built with 'ultra' slots which means that 1 and only 1 slot can be active in any give Phase.

How is that any different than having multiple Martial Art maneuvers?

(Martial Strike, Martial Block, etc...)

Heck, Martial Arts can be more confusing because you can mix multiple maneuvers with the Multiple Power Attack rules.

I see what your saying' date=' I never thought of it like that, I just looked at it as the shield is one of a kind.[/quote']

Yeah, but he never 'expends' the shield or has particularly more trouble recovering it than someone with any other focus. If you're getting the price break from the disadvantage, it had better actually be a disadvantage.

Well, in the comics whenever Cap' used the shield as an attack weapon (by throwing it or bashing with it) he was sacrificing the ability to use it defensively. Conversely, if he's using the shield defensively without actually using the Block or Missile Deflect options he can still attack with his other fist and/or feet via Martial Arts.

re: 'only' making one attack in a given phase

Captain America is practically the poster boy for the Sweep Maneuver.

Yea I thought about this as I was writing my response, the thing is Cap normally incorporates his shield throw with a string of fluid moves and has it back in hand to block the next attack that actually comes at him.

Yeah' date=' but he never 'expends' the shield or has particularly more trouble recovering it than someone with any other focus. If you're getting the price break from the disadvantage, it had better actually be a disadvantage.[/quote']

Right, it made sense to me when Cardinal explained it, I looked at expendable as if it was taken from him, not like it's truly meant. I was thinking in terms of like the fight between Spidey and Cap, when Spider-man took his shield, if he brought it back to Iron Man Cap would have a hard time getting it back. I originally added charges; recoverable:1 with the offset modifier that the charge was only spent if he missed or the attack was blocked, but that's hindrance that Cap rarely suffers as well.

I don't understand what the problem is.

Both multipowers are built with 'ultra' slots which means that 1 and only 1 slot can be active in any give Phase.

Yea I know, I had mentioned in that post "unless they were bought as flexible slots" or something to that effect.

Heck, Martial Arts can be more confusing because you can mix multiple maneuvers with the Multiple Power Attack rules

Hmm, I gotta do some reading, cuz I have never heard about Multiple Power Attack rules.

So back to a question in my OP, does that naked power advantage I bought on his STR work as intended? Because I was never a fan of buying EB to represent his shield throw, I would prefer something to represent his STR in the throw as the base damage, and this goes back to when Matthew Ignash was doing that awesome 250 pt project. It's been that long on and off I would tackle this character concept.

At any rate, please keep the responses coming, this is all very helpful, I love these boards, I learn a lot here.

Thanks guys,

Dave.

Yea I thought about this as I was writing my response' date=' the thing is Cap normally incorporates his shield throw with a string of fluid moves and has it back in hand to block the next attack that actually comes at him.[/quote']

This is why Energy Blast is the correct mechanic to use for building the sfx (special effect) of throwing a weapon* that almost always returns.

The rules allow you to add the Ranged Advantage to HKA but that approach doesn't work with HA's because a Hand To Hand Attack is already essentially a Limited form of STR built on the same base cost of 5 points per die as EB (before the mandatory HTH ONLY Limitation).

Because Cap' normally throws the shield in such a way that it bounces back to his hand after hitting his chosen target(s), the times when it doesn't return are the exception, not the rule.

2) Frisbee Throw: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Lockout (Only If Thrown AND the attack misses OR is Blocked/Deflected; -1/2), Limited Range (Based On STR; -1/4) - END=0

*I've also built Thor and his hammer in a similar fashion.

Compare this to my version of Hawkgirl from the Justice League whose mace doesn't automatically return when 'thrown'.

So back to a question in my OP, does that naked power advantage I bought on his STR work as intended? Because I was never a fan of buying EB to represent his shield throw, I would prefer something to represent his STR in the throw as the base damage, and this goes back to when Matthew Ignash was doing that awesome 250 pt project. It's been that long on and off I would tackle this character concept.

At any rate, please keep the responses coming, this is all very helpful, I love these boards, I learn a lot here.

Thanks guys,

Dave.

Adding 'Range Based On STR (+1/4) as a Naked Advantage with Limitations that affects STR is still just a form or adding Ranged to STR which the book advises against.

Stretching and Telekinesis are the only legal ways of building 'STR usable at Range'.

Anyway, that aside, your build would allow him to use 20 STR at range. However, 4d6 is the maximum damage it could ever do 'at range' according to the damage adding rules:

From 5er page 409:

Advantages For STR

If a character has an Advantage for his STR but hasn’t bought the same Advantage for an attack he adds damage to with STR, the Advantage does not apply to the attack at all (not even to the damage dice added by STR), unless the GM rules otherwise. It only applies to the damage done by the character’s STR when he uses STR by itself. For example, a character with 20 STR, Armor Piercing, who uses an Offensive Strike (+4d6) or Haymaker (also +4d6) does 8d6 Normal Damage, with no Armor Piercing effect.

While looking at my version of Cap's shield recently I noticed that it was missing the equivalent to Wolverine's 'Thrust' so here's an additional slot:

2u 8) Basic Defense II: Force Field (25 PD/25 ED/10 Power Defense), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2) - END=6

which also includes:

all slots OIF Unbreakable (Inaccessible Arm Straps; -1/2), Requires A DEX Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

Small derail....

I just had a thought about a fight between Spider-Man and Captain America.

I've got the comics where they show the first fights between Cap' and Wolverine as well as Wolverine and Spider-Man. But I don't know if Spidey' and Cap' (Steve Rogers) have ever fought?

Do any current comic collectors know if they have?

If they have, can you elaborate on the outcome?

Anyway, my thought was that, despite the fact that Spidey' should probably win*, I wonder if his Clinging ability could be used to circumvent Cap's shield. By that I mean a situation where Spidey fakes a punch at Cap' which he in turn attempts to block with the Shield. Instead of actually punching though Spidey just puts the palm of his hand on the shield and turns on his Clinging ability. Since Cap's arm is strapped to the inside of the shield Spidey should be able to throw Cap' even though he didn't actually use a grab maneuver (in Hero terms at least). I guess this also begs the question: Can Spidey' cling to the shield?

I'm not even sure if this use of Clinging would require any additional stats in HERO terms (like Usable As Attack or Damage Shield).

Any thoughts?

*As he essentially did against Wolvie' except that to keep him down he would have had to snap his neck. Something he wouldn't do).

I'm not even sure if this use of Clinging would require any additional stats in HERO terms (like Usable As Attack or Damage Shield).

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't give an attack action away with a cheap power like Clinging. If the character wanted to do this all the time, I'd probably suggest they buy some +OCV levels with a Grab maneuver with the special effect being using the Clinging to grab.

I'd have no problem with the person declaring the Clinging as a special effect for the grab. What you're suggesting is that the Clinging should make the Grab easier. That would require some more points, such as OVC with Grab.

Oh, to answer your other question: They did fight, in Civil War. So it doesn't count. Plus, Spidey was wearing the lame Iron Man made costume. Here's a random link to a page of that: http://www.captain-america.us/messageboard/article5.htm

If I were to look at it, I'd say at range, Spider-Man would dominate Cap. The only way the shield will land at range is if Cap uses a trick shot that makes Peter maneuver into the path of the bounced shield. I think he's too experienced to fall for that. If Cap can close the distance, though, even with the strength disadvantage, I think Spidey is in some real trouble. Things like broken ribs, pressure point attacks, etc. The Spider-sense isn't going to help when it's all elbows and a--another elbow in an up close fight.

In the end, I think Spidey would gun and run like usual against the Marvel heavy melee hitters, and eventually pull out a win. I wouldn't complain if a (competent) writer threw the win to Cap, though.

Completely tangential question: as a 350 point character, this character is built for the start of a campaign. Where might XP be spent to improve the character over, say, a couple of years worth of real-time game play, assuming 50 gaming sessions per year (once a week on average with a couple weeks off, which is the most common frequency of play among all PnP RPG players)?