Martial Arts and STR

Steve

One thing I've noticed in the change to 6th edition is that the martial arts are now more cost effective to purchase using lower levels of STR and buying more Extra DC instead for damage. In 5th Edition, STR provided a boost to figured characteristics, so many martial artists would buy STR in the 20-30 range.

In 6th Edition, it is now both more cost effective and endurance-efficient to have a STR in the 10-15 range, then buy 2-3 more Extra DCs than you would have bought under 5th. The Extra DCs have the advantage of not costing any endurance (which an additional 10-15 points of STR would).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Re: Martial Arts and STR

But you still would probably wany some PD to sop up the damage that gets through' date=' and REC to recover from damage.[/quote']

True enough, but you no longer get these for 'free' by buying STR. Since a MA DC (4pts) is cheaper than 1 DC worth of STR (5pts), it reinforces the argument that it is more cost effective to buy MA DCs than STR...

In straight-up combat that's true. However' date=' one's 10 STR martial arts master might end up regretting the cost savings if pinned under an overturned bookcase that his extra damage classes won't help him lift.[/quote']

I wonder if a Shove maneuver would help with this?

I think one side effect of 6th will be a lowering of average STR in martial artist types. A 20 STR would seem a reasonable maximum to take given the change in costs.

I'm probably wrong, but...

I was under the impression damage maxed out at double your strength's damage classes or double the weapon's damage classes for heroic games. So, if I have a 10 ST martial artist with +4 damage classes he still only does 4d6. If I have a gladius that does 1d6 KHA and a bunch of strength and a bunch of damage classes I still cap out at 2d6 (unless the GM let's me go over at the risk of breaking the weapon). An exception might be damage classes gained from converting CSLs to damage.

This may be legacy information that doesn't apply in 6E.

One thing I've noticed in the change to 6th edition is that the martial arts are now more cost effective to purchase using lower levels of STR and buying more Extra DC instead for damage. In 5th Edition, STR provided a boost to figured characteristics, so many martial artists would buy STR in the 20-30 range.

In 6th Edition, it is now both more cost effective and endurance-efficient to have a STR in the 10-15 range, then buy 2-3 more Extra DCs than you would have bought under 5th. The Extra DCs have the advantage of not costing any endurance (which an additional 10-15 points of STR would).

Has anyone else noticed this?

This is interesting, because I've stated before that for the most part, Martial Artists had too high of Strength, especially if they were "normal" characters. I do have a question, or two though. Are the sample characters Supers or normal? And on a related note, how are the compared to other characters representd? I'm wondering because some of the older characters didn't have all the niffty things to increase damage to their martial arts as they do now, like weapon elements.

Naked Advantage Armor Piercing with limitations. There are rules for multiple levels of Armor Piercing in the APG' date=' although at a certain point you're better off with AVLD.[/quote']

There is no AVLD. There's AVAD. :D

My friend was considering a long term defense drain

Seems about right to me. Strength has other advantages besides dealing damage (with the fairly small extra Endurance cost disadvantage).

Bye

Thanee

Indeed, in fact ...

If I character buys a -1/2 limitation (x2 endurance cost) on a 50 strength, it gets back 17 points.

If the character uses its strength 3 times a turn, it burns 15 extra endurance,

The character could buy +17 recovery to compensate.