Super-Skills Megathread

GamePhil

Re: Super-Skills Megathread

At Levi I'm loving do you trust me. Alot of good ideas here.

I want to put a few ideas in right now I'll edit later when I work out the points cost.

One Call Away- The character has so much influence over his contacts they are available 24/7. Summon, must be in campaing city limits -1/2, takes extra time (an hour) -21/2?, only contacts from list -1/2, requires contacts roll -1/2.

winning smile The character can really turn on the charm to get what he or she wants. +4 skil lvls w seduction/persuasion/bribery requires successful conversation roll (-1/2), only useable opposite sex/sexual orienatation (-1/2). Cost 10 pts.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Impossibly Skilled (60 points). +9 overall levels' date=' only to offset penalties (-1/2). The Ultimate Pulp or Action hero. Leap from car to car on a moving train using Acrobatics, climb the walls of any building using your bare hands, hack almost any database, have your every lie believed with Persuasion, Mimic anyone, throw together a convincing disguise in minutes, fall any distance, ignore range penalties, adjust any task up to three levels down on the time chart. Many cinematic heroes seem to have this.[/quote']

I like this.

So when are we gonna see Humor HERO?

LOL again. Probably never, I think. I certainly couldn't write such a thing, and I'm not sure you could really teach people how to be funny in games via a book.

OTOH, if we ever did decide to do it, I could probably turn to Marc Blumberg, author of USP, to write it. Among other things he's done, I know he used to (and maybe still does) teach people how to be stand-up comedians, or something like that. If you're good enough to teach it, maybe you can write a book about it for gaming. ;)

For something simpler:

Reflection Shooter: The character can shoot at something in a reflection as easily as if he were looking at the target directly. This is bought as +3 Penalty Skill Levels versus Reflection Penalties (see DC page 197). Cost: 4 points with one attack, 6 points with a tight group, or 9 points with all attacks.

LOL again. Probably never' date=' I think. I certainly couldn't write such a thing, and I'm not sure you could really teach people how to be funny in games via a book.[/quote']

'Tis a pity. I'd love to see a 'Foxbat and His Amazing Friends' sourcebook. Someone's gotta stick up for the Madcaps, the Slapsticks, and the Ambush Bugs of the world..

LOL again. Probably never, I think. I certainly couldn't write such a thing, and I'm not sure you could really teach people how to be funny in games via a book.

OTOH, if we ever did decide to do it, I could probably turn to Marc Blumberg, author of USP, to write it. Among other things he's done, I know he used to (and maybe still does) teach people how to be stand-up comedians, or something like that. If you're good enough to teach it, maybe you can write a book about it for gaming. ;)

I know of several books that set out to teach how to do it in a book or script, so extending that to a game shouldn't be that difficult. It'd probably be about 150 pages at most, including sample characters for various genres, but I'm sure it could be done.

And I'd like to volunteer as a second choice to author such a book. (I've mentioned in the past that some of my games have started out looking like Millennium or Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, but eventually turned into something that looked like it had been directed by the Zucker brothers. Nonetheless, from what you say Marc is probably a better choice.)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a Fox Mulder type of Danger Sense. It doesn't alert him of danger to himself but by reading a paper, report, watching the news, or any other activity that might expose him to current events the character will intuitively know when something is a threat related to "X-Files."

(X-Files = Oddball non-conventional threats such as aliens, mystical threats, cryptozoology, etc..)

Drawn To Mystical Threats: Non-Personal Danger Sense (City or Regional Area, out of combat, Discriminatory, Tracking) (37 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1), Vague (-1/2), Requires A Background Skill Roll (X-Files, Arcane, Occult, or Alien Knowledge Skill; -1/4). Real Cost 13

Tracking because you almost always get a lead on where to start the investigation. There should also be a focus in there but there are many different foci and they are easily replaced (magazines, books, reports, tvs)

13 I'm not as think as you drunk I am: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%, 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (+0) (30 Active Points); OIF Fragile Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Alcohol of Opportunity; -3/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Only to Activate, -1/2) [1 rc]

Notes: The character is almost immune to pain when drunk, making him a remarkably dangerous combatant. The charge is recovered by drinking more.

13 I'm not as think as you drunk I am: Physical Damage Reduction' date=' Resistant, 50%, 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (+0) (30 Active Points); OIF Fragile Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Alcohol of Opportunity; -3/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, Only to Activate, -1/2) [1 rc']

Notes: The character is almost immune to pain when drunk, making him a remarkably dangerous combatant. The charge is recovered by drinking more.

Quite cool...

Use that in your VPP for those times that the need arises.

19 I'm Not As Think As You Drunk I Am II: Aid EGO 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Hour; +1) (80 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, time taken to drink and have the effect; -2), OIF (booze of opportunity; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; Lose 6 INT and PRE which returns at the same rate as EGO is lost; -1/2), Reduced Maximum (12 points; -1/4)

Other people talk about "drinking courage", you really can. Unfortunately, people aren't generally impressed by your drunken antics, and you aren't as bright as usual, but these things always come with a price. You can also share the courage with your friends.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a Fox Mulder type of Danger Sense. It doesn't alert him of danger to himself but by reading a paper, report, watching the news, or any other activity that might expose him to current events the character will intuitively know when something is a threat related to "X-Files."

(X-Files = Oddball non-conventional threats such as aliens, mystical threats, cryptozoology, etc..)

Drawn To Mystical Threats: Non-Personal Danger Sense (City or Regional Area, out of combat, Discriminatory, Tracking) (37 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1), Vague (-1/2), Requires A Background Skill Roll (X-Files, Arcane, Occult, or Alien Knowledge Skill; -1/4). Real Cost 13

Tracking because you almost always get a lead on where to start the investigation. There should also be a focus in there but there are many different foci and they are easily replaced (magazines, books, reports, tvs)

IIF: News source of opportunity (-1/4) Inobvious because nobody knows where the next lead will come from.

• 2 months later...

Impossibly Skilled (60 points). +9 overall levels' date=' only to offset penalties (-1/2). The Ultimate Pulp or Action hero. Leap from car to car on a moving train using Acrobatics, climb the walls of any building using your bare hands, hack almost any database, have your every lie believed with Persuasion, Mimic anyone, throw together a convincing disguise in minutes, fall any distance, ignore range penalties, adjust any task up to three levels down on the time chart. Many cinematic heroes seem to have this.[/quote']

place Costs end on it to reduce the price to 45 points..... and 9 End