College Football 2017-2018

Oregon almost snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory against Nebraska, who ran out of time to fall just short of tying a game that was looking like a rout at the half. Coach Taggart has lots of blackmail material film he can use to humiliate motivate his team. On the positive, though, last year this was the sort of game they would have lost.

Oddly enough, I had a dream a couple of nights ago in which I had just found out I'd been admitted to Oregon State....

So, my Sooners are 3rd in the Coaches poll with a real "murderers row" ahead. Tulane next week, then Baylor, a bye week, then Iowa State before Texas.

Yikes. ;)

Just stay healthy. Gets nasty again after that - the Oklahoma State game will probably be the Big XII championship part 1, K State after Texas is the very definition of a trap game. Still, very favorable schedule from here forward with a signature win to set the table.

Lot of football to be played, but I'm liking how the season is setting up so far.

Edit: Number 2 in AP, honestly I don't think that's entirely reasonable this early. It remains to be seen if this win was "fool's gold" if Ohio State isn't that good this year. 3-5 seems about right, but given nobody has a stronger win at this point in the season I can see it. The AP is a beauty pageant anyway.

What matters is being top 4 at the end of the season in the only poll that counts.

If you ask me, and admittedly you didn't, having polls at all this early in the season is pointless. A whole bunch of teams haven't played anybody yet. If it were up to me, I would wait until the end of Week 4 and start issuing polls at that point.

If you ask me, and admittedly you didn't, having polls at all this early in the season is pointless. A whole bunch of teams haven't played anybody yet. If it were up to me, I would wait until the end of Week 4 and start issuing polls at that point.

Well, the only poll that matters doesn't come out for around half a season. Hence my earlier "beauty pageant" comment. But the other polls do clearly influence the committee's decisions, so it still matters (just not as much).

Well, it gives the SEC teams to think they are good, and help them have a free loss without consequence if necessary.

Where to begin?  It is probably only a little hyperbolic to say that Wisconsin doesn't actually play anyone until November.  That's what, week 12, when Michigan comes to Madison?

Can't say I wish Mike to go to Oregon State, either.  Gary Anderson actually ate a $3 million buyout on his contract to jump ship and head there when he found out that Wisconsin wasn't about to compromise their admissions standards for him.  I can at least feel a little smug about my alma mater requiring at least some effort on both sides of student-athlete.

Now, if Wisconsin can just start looking professional for the entire game, or find a good quarterback for once...

And I'll refrain from calling them the Badgers until we sort out that provisional return from being the Possums. :P

Fair enough, Badger.  That was just sad.

And it makes Ohio State's goose egg last year at the Fiesta Bowl fairly cathartic.

Speaking of blowouts, Pariah is not likely to be happy this weekend when Wisconsin comes to Provo..  The spread is only 14.5 points, but I hear that BYU might be down a starting quarterback?  I suppose it also depends on how many quarters of football the Badgers show up for.

Here's hoping that it's a real game of college football.

BYU is going to get beaten like the proverbial rented mule. 14.5 points isn't nearly a large enough spread in this case, because Wisconsin has demonstrated that it actually has an offense and BYU, to this point, has not.

And yes, there is some question concerning the availability of BYU starting quarterback Tanner Mangum. He hobbled off the field at the end of the game last week, and may or may not have an injury that will keep him out of this week's game. BYU's coaching staff isn't saying one way or the other.

Really, BYU season is already lost. The latter part of their schedule is loaded with cupcakes, so they'll almost certainly get the seven wins they need to plan a third-tier bowl game some place. But in terms of demonstrating that the new coaching staff has put together a team that can be competitive at the highest level, the answer right now is a definitive no.

No Oklahoma game for me today, I'm not paying PPV for Tulane.

Mike Stoops said in response to Tulane's use of the option that Barry Switzer was around the office and giving him some pointers on defending it (joke).

I get the need in scheduling: 1 middle tier, 1 blueblood, 1 creampuff. But is annoying as a fan to get a glorified bye week and then be asked to pay for it.

As predicted, Wisconsin => :slap: <= BYU.

BYU is now 0-3 against D1-A programs, losing the three games by a combined score of 86-19. If you throw in the game against 1-AA Portland State, BYU is still averaging less than 10 points per game.

Usually a week in Logan is a good remedy for such problems, especially as Utah State seems particularly bad this year. But the way BYU's 'offense' has been playing so far, that's not a guarantee.

Is BYU can't beat the Aggies next week, it may be time to start getting ready for next season.

As predicted, Wisconsin => :slap: <= BYU.

BYU is now 0-3 against D1-A programs, losing the three games by a combined score of 86-19. If you throw in the game against 1-AA Portland State, BYU is still averaging less than 10 points per game.

Usually a week in Logan is a good remedy for such problems, especially as Utah State seems particularly bad this year. But the way BYU's 'offense' has been playing so far, that's not a guarantee.

Is BYU can't beat the Aggies next week, it may be time to start getting ready for next season.

Uhh, kind of already time for that