College Football 2017-2018

He did a great job at Utah State. Some coaches are just better suited to life at a mid-major.

He had a very good record at Wisconsin, a program with greater tradition and considerable more prestige than Oregon State. Which made me wonder at the time why he took the Oregon State job in the first place, when it was clearly a program that was going nowhere. Perhaps he really did believe he could turn it around.

One of the reasons, IIRC, was that he found the academic requirements for admission to Wisconsin (and the other Big 10 11 12 14 schools) limited the players he could recruit. It's a reality in that conference, but apparently he didn't want that particular headache. Oregon State represented a Power 5 job without the academic restrictions. 

One of the reasons, IIRC, was that he found the academic requirements for admission to Wisconsin (and the other Big 10 11 12 14 schools) limited the players he could recruit. It's a reality in that conference, but apparently he didn't want that particular headache. Oregon State represented a Power 5 job without the academic restrictions. 

In that case he should have gone to the NFL, where players are paid openly and the academics required are just in the film room and playbook study.

I wonder if there is any sort of link (other than coincidence) between poor high school grades and personal discipline issues or criminal conduct once an athlete gets into the college setting. 

That's not quite right. The dumpster is not on fire.

Well, it might be really really smelly, which is an adequate substitute. And I mean dead-for-three days skunk smelly. Four or five such.

True in both cases, although the fire is not far away. The Cougars will almost certainly lose at Mississippi State (who beat LSU, who throttled the Cougars earlier this year) on Saturday. That leaves them with a 1-6 record with 6 games left to play. BYU will have to win out to be bowl eligible.  It's certainly possible--the schedule is @ East Carolina, home to San Jose, @ Fresno, @ UNLV, home to UMass, and @Hawai'i--but it leaves them no room for error. And so far, 'error' is all they've shown they can do.

If BYU fails to qualify for a bowl game, the fires will start.

Here's an interesting article in the wake of the Gary Anderson departure:

Now is the perfect time for Oregon State to find a new identity by running the option

I'm kind of in favor of it just because I know how much it'll bug Utah to have to face Option teams again. (The Utes historically had a hard time with Air Force.)

There's one problem with option: it doesn't take great athletes to run it successfully, but it does take athletes with intelligence and with discipline. That's why places like Air Force run it; by definition they don't have the greatest athletes, but also by definition the folks that are there have intelligence and discipline.

I don't know Oregon State well enough to assess that, but other places are kind of the opposite of that. Like Washington State, and I say that as someone who used to be a faculty member there; for a more meme-like example, see "Leaf, Ryan". If that's your institutional tradition, you'd be up against a double barrier trying to go the option route.

Now is the perfect time for Oregon State to find a new identity by running the option

I'm kind of in favor of it just because I know how much it'll bug Utah to have to face Option teams again. (The Utes historically had a hard time with Air Force.)

OH GOD, Not the Option!

Do we WANT no player to come play for us? Riley could get decent recruits because he ran a pro style offense and sent QB's to the NFL (Derek Anderson, Sean Mannion, Matt Moore) we didn't get the top guys but we got some good players who could find roster spots. 

We tried the Spread Option and here's what it costs you, QB's and Receiver recruits.

I love the option which would be a vote from me, but I doubt it'd work there.  (NFL teams only care about passing, so it'll hurt in that respect)

Tangentially related to this is the locally infamous story that ESPN talking head slagged off on U of Washington last weekend ... the "you should be grateful to us" phrase was used, and that never, ever plays well. It's up there with "Let them eat cake."

AFAICT, no two games of Washington football this year will have the same kickoff time. This is strictly for TV reasons.

Yeah, BYU football's raison d'être right now is TV money, especially E$PN. With no conference affiliation and little to no ability to bring decent teams into Provo in October and November on their own, E$PN is effectively BYU's pimp right now.