"My wings are like a shield of steel."

Ragitsu

On 3/12/2018 at 6:50 AM, Sean Waters said:

6.2.64 Typically a Grabbed character cannot use any form of movement to keep moving while Grabbed. He may be able to use his movement to improve his STR to break free (see 6E2 25), but that’s all…

I don't know how many times I've seen a football player dragging multiple guys down the field with him while grabbed. Must've been my imagination. :D

I don't know how many times I've seen a football player dragging multiple guys down the field with him while grabbed. Must've been my imagination

Which brings up a good point and a personal observation about game rules: none of them simulate actual fights or sports very well at all.  I'd allow someone who is not exerting or using a power to prevent movement to be pulled with casual strength or reduced movement.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Which brings up a good point and a personal observation about game rules: none of them simulate actual fights or sports very well at all.  I'd allow someone who is not exerting or using a power to prevent movement to be pulled with casual strength or reduced movement.

Yeah, sometimes rules break down in specific cases. That's one advantage rules designed for a specific genre or setting emulation have over generic/universal rules sets. If I were actually running Football Hero, there'd probably be something like a strength contest to keep moving at a reduced rate to handle those situations. And possibly some more detailed rules on tackles.

Hero does a decent job of not making too many baseline assumptions and works well within those it does, though.

Maybe Grab is actually to simple for Hero and in fact should be split into two manoeuvres. 

The first being Tackle/Takedown - which is what Grab currently is. You get a hold of someone and stop their movement and possibly bring them to the ground, but maybe the rules should be changed to factor in character weight/mass vs strength. 

If that fails then you can make a second/different check to instead Hold On to the target. This would add to the targets encumbrance and possibly slow them down (depending on how strong they are), but not stop all movement or bring them to the ground.  

This would cover the football situation mentioned above. A successful Tackle/Takedown would drop the opponent, but if you fail, you can still try and hold on to them and slow them down. 

I don't think the rules were designed to simulate real life.  Its more on the level of an action movie or comic book physics.  

Besides, real life sucks.  Who'd want to play that?

GM: "You wait in line for your macchiato.  The barista looks new and rolls <shooka shooka> a 4.  Looks like your macchiato taste pretty bad."

Player: "I argue that the macchiato needs to be remade!"

GM: "Ok, roll for initiative."

5 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I’m not arguing that the rules should be real life either per se but even cinematically, I just don’t see by the rules how Aunt May can grab Hulk and stop him.

As opposed to rolling a 10- to Dive for Cover and avoid a move through by Quicksilver?

The rules are not designed around normal NPCs.

On 3/23/2018 at 12:31 PM, dsatow said:

I don't think the rules were designed to simulate real life.  Its more on the level of an action movie or comic book physics.  

Besides, real life sucks.  Who'd want to play that?

GM: "You wait in line for your macchiato.  The barista looks new and rolls <shooka shooka> a 4.  Looks like your macchiato taste pretty bad."

Player: "I argue that the macchiato needs to be remade!"

GM: "Ok, roll for initiative."

I understand your example but rolling a 4  in Hero is actually making a 5-star quality macchiato:angel: