Christmas 2020: What you're giving

Cancer

A thread for what you're giving this yuletide, the holiday season of a brutal, desolate year, a time when gifts may mean more than usual.

Things on my outgoing list so far:

• The family gets a new rice cooker.  The old one ... 20 years old, I think ... has become flaky and unreliable.
  • Wife asked for a lamp to be rewired.  I have that lined up, paying some friends of my daughter's who (1) do that sort of thing as a sideline and (2) aren't doing well this holiday season.  She also asked for a new shade for it, but that will be a joint outing once we can go to a decent shop and select it together.
  • Gift certificates from various local non-chain restaurants, as much to get cash into those and keep them afloat as to give food of choice to folks

I managed to get my shopping done last week. Since everyone in my immediate family is broke, I don't expect much, nor did I really spend that much.

My mother got a DVD copy of Howl's Moving Castle, the flm directed by the legendary Hayao Miyazaki. I saw it with Mom a year or so ago at al at a Ghibli festival. It's a brilliant anti-war animated film. She loved it.

My sister the pastor got two DVDs: The first season of Infinity Train and a copy of Zeffirelli's TV miniseries Jesus of Nazareth.

My other sister got a set if Rory's Story Cubes, I hope she has fun with them.

Mum is getting a new book about Hercule Poirot documenting the books and films and a Frank Sinatra and Count Basie CD

Friends in the States are getting the chocolate parcel and an Amazon gift token

Friends here are getting a pair of ancient Roman detective books, a bottle of booze and a book that he is after. One of them also has their birthday in December so they are getting the Back to the Future game.

Flavored cooking oils/vinegars and a cake to friends on the East Coast.

New curtains and blinds to my mom for her bedroom.

A drain snake for my next door neighbor since I know he has a blocked plumbing problem.

Gift cards and greeting cards to everyone else. I'm not going to give the gift of attending my untimely funeral after spending hours shopping among the mouth-breathing rednecks in my hometown.