Need Suggestions for a Site to Host "Play-by-Post" HERO 5th Games

I am trying to launch a "Play-by-Post" HERO 5th Pulp game and need a site where my players/I can share maps, discuss "In Character" and "Out-Of-Character" topics, roll dice, essentially game in an asynchronous fashion.  Just to be clear, I do not need a VTT...

I attempted to use "World Anvil" but everything there makes me feel like I spend FAR more time fighting their overly convoluted interface than creating my game content.  At one point, I attempted to generate a link to join my campaign that sent my player to a TOTALLY different campaign!  Argh!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a low cost place to host a "Play-by-Post" HERO 5th game?

Thanks in advance!

• 6 months later...

There are two sites I usually frequent, where you can play PbP games.

RPoL.net and RPGCrossing.com.

Both have very small Hero System communities, but you will find enough interested players to build a game or two.

There may be others, but these are the ones I know.

• 5 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, Bozimus said:

I am trying to launch a "Play-by-Post" HERO 5th Pulp game and need a site where my players/I can share maps, discuss "In Character" and "Out-Of-Character" topics, roll dice, essentially game in an asynchronous fashion.  Just to be clear, I do not need a VTT...

I attempted to use "World Anvil" but everything there makes me feel like I spend FAR more time fighting their overly convoluted interface than creating my game content.  At one point, I attempted to generate a link to join my campaign that sent my player to a TOTALLY different campaign!  Argh!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a low cost place to host a "Play-by-Post" HERO 5th game?

Thanks in advance!

You say you dont need a VTT but there is no reason you could not use a VTT to accomplish this.

With the work that has been done to make HERO playable on Roll20, the base level membership of Roll20 should allow you to discuss, share maps, roll dice and play asynchronously.  It actually means that Roll20's biggest weakness - its audio and video - vanishes.  While it would allow real-time play, there is no need to use it that way and I think it could provide a decent platform for play by post...

I would even use the bulletin board attached to the game to do a lot of the discussions - no need to even fire up the game to do those discussions and you get decent threaded conversations.

Doc

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 5:16 AM, Doc Democracy said:

You say you dont need a VTT but there is no reason you could not use a VTT to accomplish this.

With the work that has been done to make HERO playable on Roll20, the base level membership of Roll20 should allow you to discuss, share maps, roll dice and play asynchronously.  It actually means that Roll20's biggest weakness - its audio and video - vanishes.  While it would allow real-time play, there is no need to use it that way and I think it could provide a decent platform for play by post...

I would even use the bulletin board attached to the game to do a lot of the discussions - no need to even fire up the game to do those discussions and you get decent threaded conversations.

Doc

If you enable time stamps people could use the VTT for dice rolls so the GM can see them (if he cares). 

But the ability to have multiple threads in your own private forum means each scene could be its own Scene and you could number them. I play a lot of PBP on Savagerifts.com and you really only need private forums and a dice roller for PBP. The ability to link maps players can explore would just make it so much easier.