Pariah

I had been thinking about Serena's chances of winning her final tournament. After defeating Kontaveit, she mentioned just enjoying the game in a way she hadn't felt in a long time. If that was so, that could be the edge she had been lacking in years past. Let's face it, nobody does their best work if they feel like they're just going through a grind. I guess it's all theoretical now.

That said, if Serena had to lose, it's better that she lose before the championship. Getting all the way to the championship match then failing to win that 24th Grand Slam title would have been devastating to her and her fans. Remember Djokovic almost getting the Calendar Grand Slam last year, only to fall apart at the championship? That was painful to watch.

But congrats to Ajla. I didn't think she'd be able to beat Serena, but she was pretty impressive today.

Alja was SOLID, especially on her backhand.  She was CRACKING them for winners from the baseline.

The oddsmakers had Serena at, I think, 14-1 and about the same chances as Gauff.  Personally, I never bought that.  She would've had another non-seed in the round of 16...but Samsonova's showing has her at #28 now.  Then probably Jabeur, then Gauff or Garcia in the quarters.  Tough road to hoe.  And these matches were draining...this one was over 3 hours, her 2nd round was another tough 3 set affair.  Kontaviet made the final in Qatar (a WTA 1000) in February...but lost her first match in 4 of 8 tournaments entered, and 2nd match in 2 others.  So she hasn't been on form for most of the year.

Not gonna argue her mental toughness at all but I wasn't seeing it.

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Kyrgios is playing Medvedev right now. Kyrgios is ahead 4-3, but this is still the first set.

Ajla will be playing her next match soon. She has shown a lot of class in her post-match interviews. I hope she keeps winning.

And Kyrgios takes a 24 point first set breaker...then the match in 4 sets.  Medvedev loses the #1 seed;  Nadal takes over as things move forward, obviously subject to change.  Medvedev would drop to 4th if Ruud and Acaraz win their next matches.

Standard wisdom is that Nick can beat anyone.  His worst enemy has been himself throughout.  He's not blowing up now...or not nearly so much.  And now he's got to be considered a serious title contender.  He's also moved back into the top 20 at 18...and obviously threatening higher.  

Maybe some people just take a while to grow up...

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

And Kyrgios takes a 24 point first set breaker...then the match in 4 sets.  Medvedev loses the #1 seed;  Nadal takes over as things move forward, obviously subject to change.  Medvedev would drop to 4th if Ruud and Acaraz win their next matches.

Standard wisdom is that Nick can beat anyone.  His worst enemy has been himself throughout.  He's not blowing up now...or not nearly so much.  And now he's got to be considered a serious title contender.  He's also moved back into the top 20 at 18...and obviously threatening higher.  

Maybe some people just take a while to grow up...

I agree his worst enemy is usually himself. He is a talented player, but his attitude and antics often work against him.

He held it together today for the most part, but after this classless display, I wouldn't say he's growing up. Seriously, he treats his own team -- including his girlfriend -- like that?!

I want to like him, really. But his behavior on and off the court prevents me from becoming a fan. I don't care for Medvedev too much either, but I'd rather root for him instead of Kyrgios.

9 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Breaking News: Frances Tiafoe Beats Rafael Nadal (6-4, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3)

ohhhh my.....

did not expect that one, altho Rafa's health and state of game are obviously question marks, and according to the NYT, he was having physical problems.

American tennis is making a comeback...even bigger on the women's side overall.  Obviously Serena's been dominant, and Venus for a good decade, but now there's 4 in the top 20, and 2 more in the top 35.

15 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Karen Khachanov beats Nick Kyrgios in five sets. He will play Casper Ruud in the semifinal.

Grinder of a match.  

And just now, Francis Tiafoe backed up his win over Rafa by taking out Rublev to make his first-ever Grand Slam semi.  He also moved into the top 20 for the first time ever.  This is his breakout tournament.

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

Roglic out of the Vuelta following crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/62817997

Man, the Vuelta's snakebit.  Down to 138 riders from the 184...a full 25%.  And now down one of the more notable riders left.

Note from the US Open.  Tomorrow's Swiatek-Jabeur match is the first time since 2013 featuring 2 players in the top 10.  One...sure.  Serena, clearly, if nothing else.  But that's how prevalent upsets have been for a pretty amazingly long time.  What's curious is, it's happening now when the rankings for both men and women have been so volatile for the last couple years.

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

It's going to be Swiatek vs. Jabeur on Saturday. Today will determine who's playing on the men's side.

Ruud and Alcaraz have a chance to become #1, but only if they reach the final. If they both lose today, Nadal becomes #1.

And if it is Ruud-Alcaraz, they're playing for #1 AND their first major title.  First time for that;  to start with, it's very rare for both players to be in that position.  Ruud is up 2-1 in sets and a break in the 4th;  Tiafoe-Alcaraz comes after it.  Scheduled for 7 Eastern, but it's 6 now.  IF this goes to 5 sets...ok, probably not, Ruud just got a 2nd break to go up 4-1 and about to serve...but if it does, that match will get started late.  A question will be how much Alcaraz' marathon 5 hour match (that ended, IIRC, around 3 Eastern time on Thursday) took out of him.