Pariah

It is appalling that the NWSL scandal seems to me to be on par with the Catholic Church's scandal...institutional coverups, failure to report, and widespread.

It is horrifying to me to say...it's not that surprising.  

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-nwsl/story/4761896/yates-nwsl-abuse-fallout-playerssponsors-speak-execs-fired

The section about the response of sponsors...significant ones have withdrawn from the 3 organizations at the center of this storm, others have said "fix things meaningfully or we are out."  We'll have to see how things work out in the long term...first, what measures are put in place to try to ensure it never happens again (it's not possible to say more than "try to"...think the Tua fiasco);  then, what the teams' responses are (I think the owners will likely have to sell), and then, if things aren't moving that well, what do the sponsors do?  Both the current ones and new ones.  I actually think that separation from those 3 teams is easier than a larger franchise. 

Embarassing Promo Read.  Pac 12 late night, Stanford's up on Oregon St by 2, approaching midnight, 2 minutes left, Stanford's trying to run out the clock.

So Mark Jones runs a promo.  For Sunday Night Baseball.  For the Dodgers against the Giants, talking about the Dodgers being in the playoffs.

That's from LAST week.  OOPS!!!  Can't recall that happening on ESPN offhand....

Filippo Ganna has beaten the cycling World Hour record

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/63188718

Verstappen wins the Japanese Grand Prix and the Formula 1 world title despite a truncated race

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63190934

Tadej Pogacar wins the last Monument race of the year, the Tour of Lombardy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/63183612

On 10/9/2022 at 6:08 AM, death tribble said:

Verstappen wins the Japanese Grand Prix and the Formula 1 world title despite a truncated race

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63190934

Not to minimize what Max Verstappen accomplished, but why were they racing in what looked like a typhoon? Why wasn't it postponed until Monday when the weather would be better? It is really fortunate nobody got themselves killed in those conditions.

Any other competition would not even have let the race begin under those conditions. Are, they waiting for someone to get killed?

57 minutes ago, Pariah said:

They lost Tim Horton's. How do you do business in Canada without Tim Horton's? 

Hockey Canada scandal explained: Organization losing sponsors due to handling of sexual assault allegations

That's pretty big;  they're Canada's largest fast food chain.  They also lost Chevrolet Canada and Scotiabank, Canada's 3rd largest bank.  And Canadian Tire, but I'm not sure how large they are relative to the others.  If it's, say, the equivalent of Firestone...that's substantial.

It's what happens when your organization leads turtle up, rather than fess up, and no one believes them *at all*.

"Our board frankly does not share the view that senior leadership should be replaced on the basis of what we consider to be substantial misinformation and unduly cynical attacks," Skinner said, according to The Athletic. "Hockey Canada has an excellent reputation."

Dude.  What you people did...with the implicit embezzlement that appears to be the case as you switched money around...beats the tar out of the Sterling case, the Commanders, the Sarver situation.  Doesn't reach the level of NWSL, but that bar is stratospherically high.  Yeah, we get that the board is as desperate as the tobacco industry boards, because it's their heads directly in the line of fire.  So you guys are dead men walking, insofar as your continuing in those positions.  AND, this is the organization that's had notable issues with coaches assaulting their minor players.  

Burn Hockey Canada to the ground and start over.  That's what those sponsors are also saying.

21 hours ago, Pariah said:

They lost Tim Horton's. How do you do business in Canada without Tim Horton's? 

Hockey Canada scandal explained: Organization losing sponsors due to handling of sexual assault allegations

Arguably even a bigger deal:

Bauer suspends support as equipment provider to Hockey Canada

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

As a statement, I'm inclined to agree.  Economically, it may or may not be, but this is a core, intimately connected sponsor.  And I believe they make everything but the jerseys and pants...helmets, pads, sticks, skates.

Another aspect of this:  scroll down to the end of the story, they've got a full list of the big sponsors who have pulled back, or out.  It's at 70% now.  And the foolish interim chairman who said the board shouldn't be replaced?  She has resigned.  I think the only thing left is to arrange a halfway clean transfer of power;  most, if not all, of that board is going to be gone.  And they know it.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:31 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Not to minimize what Max Verstappen accomplished, but why were they racing in what looked like a typhoon? Why wasn't it postponed until Monday when the weather would be better? It is really fortunate nobody got themselves killed in those conditions.

Any other competition would not even have let the race begin under those conditions. Are, they waiting for someone to get killed?

Part of it is tradition, and part of it is that F1 cars are supposed to be able to handle a wet track (FSVO, "wet.") You see something similar in endurance racing, where the cars are expected to be able to run in the damp/wet/dark. Even more so with rally racing, where I've seen them run stages in snowy conditions that would keep me from driving to work.