Pariah

England beat Germany 2-1 in the Women's Euros in extra time.

I have not mentioned anything about England's progress just in case. This is the first Cup the England team (Men or Women) have won since 1966. It has been very good breaking records for attendance for a woman's game. 90,000 at Wembley.

Germany were the 8 time Euro Champions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62370131

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I wonder if some of these changes were encouraged by ESPN.  They only need 2 crews for the regionals, and they don't need unique crews for the First Four games.  It also makes for easier logistics, by and large, for the NCAA.  Note...not necessarily the teams, but who cares about the teams?  They're just the tools.

The Commonwealth games has finished in Birmingham with England coming away with 176 medals in total to finish second. Australia came first with 178. Wales, Scotland and Ireland compete separately.

Para athletes competed at the same time in their events. This will not be repeated at the Olympics.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/62468272

As most of this is mostly old British dominions I did not post regular updates as unless you are Canadian, Australian, British, Indian or from New Zealand it would be of little interest to you. Some old French colonial outposts have been admitted to the Commonwealth like Mauritius and Mozambique which is an old Portuguese territory

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta vent.

Little League, regional play.  Pitch gets away;  batter gets hit in the ear flap.  LEAST amount of force deflection/absorption.  Kid takes 2 steps, then hands go to his head and he drops down to his knees.

Then, clearly audible, some (*&#$(WEUR_(QY$T{IQWEP(*^#$U EUP(*@B $C:OIFH@#P(*Y$#*O%U(*&#$@#$#$ is screaming out "you're all right, shake it off!"

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

The kid is NOT!!!! all right.  It's a freaking blow to the head...and the kid is clearly affected.  Concussion is absolutely a serious concern...and a shot in the temple area, even moreso than usual.

EDIT:  AFAIK these are in the minority, but...this is worse.  From a few weeks ago:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article263405153.html

Coach of a 9-10 year old team is smacking the opposing team (who won) during the postgame handshake line.  Removed as coach, of course.  Better still...the guy's a sergeant in the police department, and has been relieved of duty pending the results of an Internal Affairs investigation.  Hope he gets fired, and I suspect the Houston police department may well do it, if the rules allow them to, because smacking around young kids is something NO one will accept.

Little League is crazy, cuz you never quite know what's gonna happen.  Northern California vs. Hawaii was 3-3 going into the bottom of the 5th.  NorCal pitchers had a bad start to the inning...a 3 run shot made it 8-3 at one point, and it's, well...NorCal batters are gonna have their work cut out.  Little League only plays 6 innings.

But it never got there.  At 10-3, Hawaii got another 3 run homer.  Which is a walk-off...due to the 10 run rule.

Always gotta feel for the losing teams, especially in a game like that, where it came out of the blue.  The good news was, it wasn't an elimination game.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Little League is crazy, cuz you never quite know what's gonna happen.  Northern California vs. Hawaii was 3-3 going into the bottom of the 5th.  NorCal pitchers had a bad start to the inning...a 3 run shot made it 8-3 at one point, and it's, well...NorCal batters are gonna have their work cut out.  Little League only plays 6 innings.

But it never got there.  At 10-3, Hawaii got another 3 run homer.  Which is a walk-off...due to the 10 run rule.

Always gotta feel for the losing teams, especially in a game like that, where it came out of the blue.  The good news was, it wasn't an elimination game.

Is that the game my brother said he was watching where 12 kids were hit by pitches, apparently 9 by one pitcher. He said the first 3 runs Hawaii scored were all by hit by pitch.

Just now, slikmar said:

Is that the game my brother said he was watching where 12 kids were hit by pitches, apparently 9 by one pitcher. He said the first 3 runs Hawaii scored were all by hit by pitch.

There were about a dozen HBP, yeah...I think it was 9 by NorCal, but not by one pitcher.  Don't recall for sure, I don't pay attention that closely.  And it was Little League ALL day...9 am to 9 pm.  Things run together. :)

A federal judge denied an emergency request for a TRO for 3 LIV golfers to compete in the FedEx Cup's first event, which starts Thursday.

"It appears to the court that the LIV contracts, negotiated by the players and consummated between the parties, were based upon the players' calculation of what they would be leaving behind and the amount the players would need to monetize to compensate for those losses," Freeman said in her ruling. "I do agree with the defendants [the PGA Tour] that those losses were well known to the players at the time and clearly monetized."

Freeman noted that LIV Golf affords the suspended players an opportunity to play elite golf in the United States with guaranteed pay. "And, in fact, the evidence shows that it seems almost without a doubt that they will be earning more than they have made and could reasonably have expected to make in a reasonable amount of time under the PGA [Tour]."

Yeah, it's real hard to claim irreparable harm when LIV is giving guaranteed checks.  If that's the best grounds the players had, then I wanna know the lawyers...so I can avoid them for ANYTHING.  That argument is absolutely ludicrous.  Note that the anti-trust grounds are different, so this doesn't speak strongly there.  Still, denying a TRO is largely saying "stop wasting the court's time."

On 8/9/2022 at 7:31 AM, Pariah said:

She plans to retire after this month's US Open.

Serena Williams announces retirement plans: Tennis superstar 'ready for what's next'

Serena is a generational talent.

She retires as perhaps the greatest woman's player in the history of tennis. We may never again see a player of either gender who combined energy, athleticism, and brains for  the game quite so much. Serena is utterly unique.

Unfortunately Margaret Court hold the record for most Grand Slam single wins, most Grand Slam Doubles wins and most Grand Slam Mixed Doubles wins. She hold the distinction of winning Grand Slam titles after pregnancy which Serena has not yet achieved.

Undoubtedly she is the greatest player we have seen as Court's career was over before we began paying attention.

10 hours ago, death tribble said:

Unfortunately Margaret Court hold the record for most Grand Slam single wins, most Grand Slam Doubles wins and most Grand Slam Mixed Doubles wins. She hold the distinction of winning Grand Slam titles after pregnancy which Serena has not yet achieved.

Undoubtedly she is the greatest player we have seen as Court's career was over before we began paying attention.

In my opinion, Serena has faced tougher competition than Court ever would have at thsat point in the development of women's tennis.  Plus she was never the same player after nearly dying in childbirth, which is perfectly understandable. Yet she still stands head and shoulders -- and torso -- ahead of everyone in her era (except possibly sister Venus, with whom she fought m,any great duels, then turned around and played together with he in Doubles..)  Time will move on, and perhaps someone will emerge to be a dominant force in the game of tennis, but it's probably safe to say there will never be another Serena.