In which I endevor to survive living with my in-laws...

Cygnia

Tomorrow is the next big hurdle/test -- taking Dashie to the vet.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:57 AM, Cancer said:

If it comes to it, I can recommend several Irish whiskeys which are smooth and quite numbing when taken as directed.

BTW Cancer, I may take you up on this.  Not for my sake, but for the hubby & my father-in-law.  Hubby doesn't like Writers Tears though.

I've never had Writer's Tears.  My absolute favorite is something you can't get any more except from the kind of place you order specific years of wine from.  Knappogue Castle put out some dated whiskeys about a dozen years back, dated 1992, 1994, and 1995.  They then went to a subtly different product that's undated and IMO not as good.  I have four or five of the dated bottles squirreled away that will await very special occasions (like my daughter graduating, me retiring, etc.).

(FWIW, I essentially only drink my Irish neat, and no matter what impression I leave around here, I am not much of a drinker.)

Clontarf 1014 is pretty good.  I am OK with the Big Three (Jamesons, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew), in their standard varieties.  Jamesons has been putting out some "Black Barrel" products -- whiskey aged in various other casks, like bourbon or stout casks -- that aren't bad but I prefer the main variety.  2 Gingers isn't bad but doesn't sparkle for me.  Teeling Whiskey is an Irish aged in rum casks; you can taste the rum/sugar in it as a pleasant note. 

I have a bottle of Proper Twelve that I have only just opened and don't have an opinion yet.  Don't like Redbreast.  Only tried Green Spot once (hard to find around here) and I remember it was better on ice than neat.

Couple things...

1.  There's a neighbor who throws really loud obnoxious parties living behind Hubby's folks.  To the point that even my half-deaf hubby complained.

2.  Hubby's folks want to throw a block party next weekend to "get to know" their neighbors.  My introvert soul is already hyperventilating.

• 5 weeks later...
  1. ab7d5a52282525056d7062c075f1c56a.webp?si
    Mike's dad (listening to the Home Free Pandora station, dealing with acapella music): Oh! I really like this band!
    It's a cover of "Sounds of Silence". And it's really well done...but it's by Disturbed.
    Mike's dad: I need to track this band down!
    Me & Mike: ...umm...that might not be a good id--
    (queues up the Disturbed station on Pandora and lands on "Get Down With the Sickness")
    Mike's dad: ...I may have chosen poorly...