In which I endevor to survive living with my in-laws...

Cygnia

Oh my dear and fluffy Lord.  We’ve been getting work done on our downstairs bathroom, which was supposed to take two weeks or so for about three months now.  And it’s a flat rate job!  Their not making an additional dime for having things dragged out so long. 
  Between a series of misfortunes hitting the work crew that haven’t been seen since Job. Quittings, re-hireings, fireings, parents with health problems, dog bites, surgery’s, vacations, out of town weddings and mis-measurements plus the fact that the delays have them overbooked and often only working half days there’s still no end in sight.

Do your deep breathing, imagine your happy place, and best of luck with the in-laws.  Vaya con Dios.

3 minutes ago, Cancer said:

If it comes to it, I can recommend several Irish whiskeys which are smooth and quite numbing when taken as directed.

Yes,  but the side effects can include punching your cousin in the face and telling one’s other relatives exactly what you think of them.

If necessary, you might want to look into THC taken in the popular gummy-bear or chocolate brownie form. As best to regulate your mood without smelling like you just went to see a Greatful Dead tribute band.🌈🧸  

(This has been sarcasm.  This is not an actually suggestion.  Had this been a suggestion it would be a bad one.  This was only a joke.)

21 hours ago, Cancer said:

From experience I can say: there are always cock-ups and delays.  We live in space-time.  Contractors have a decent handle on the space.  They worse (MUCH worse) than astronomers about time.

Good luck.

Agree with Cancer about astronomers. 

17 hours ago, Tjack said:

Yes,  but the side effects can include punching your cousin in the face and telling one’s other relatives exactly what you think of them.

If necessary, you might want to look into THC taken in the popular gummy-bear or chocolate brownie form. As best to regulate your mood without smelling like you just went to see a Greatful Dead tribute band.🌈🧸  

(This has been sarcasm.  This is not an actually suggestion.  Had this been a suggestion it would be a bad one.  This was only a joke.)

I don’t know why that ⬆️ double posted.  
 Always try to remember the great choice of all construction....There’s Fast, Cheap, and Well Built. 
You can have any two.

We're all at the house now.  One cat is hiding in the shower, the other has wedged herself under the dresser.  This is gonna be a long few months.  Best case scenario is that the contractors will be done by Thanksgiving.

Something tells me we aren't getting the best case scenario.

The contractors ARE very good though.

Those cat reactions are within the ensemble of all the cat moves I've seen, so I would call their response normal.  They'll come out in hours (more than two, fewer than 24).  Are there other nonhuman mammals in the house?

This is an excellent time to build new habits for them, if you have something you want them to do routinely that they haven't done before.  Are they leash-trained?

Cats have tentatively poked their heads out, had a little kibble & water.  No noshing on wet food, no use of litter box yet (that part has me paranoid).  Both are currently under the bed.  I've got one of my headband neck gaiters near the floor by the bed for them to get my scent.

My allergies, meanwhile, something has them flared up badly from outside.