Consolodated Rules question

MistWing

Just out of curiosity, is there a file or book that lists every power, advantage, limitation, adder, etc. in the various books as well as where to find them?  I keep finding references to such things (usually advantage and limitations) and I have no idea where to find the definition for them

Thank you

Most of what you are looking for is in the Hero System book, specifically the first book. There may be a few in some of the other books but almost everything is there. The book list the base power and advantages but does not have a lot of fully fleshed out powers, what it has is the rules on how to build powers.  Hero System allows you to build an almost unlimited number of powers by combining the various aspects in any way you want.   It would be nearly impossible to  list out each power like other systems do.  

Books like Fantasy Hero or others usually offer advice on how to run a specific type of game.  They sometimes offer examples of prebuilt power but those are created with the rules fond in the Hero System book 1 for 6th edition. 

A couple of the power modifiers allow the player to define them, subject to the GM’s approval.  Things like limited power or conditional power are examples of these.  

The best reference for 6e are the Big Blue 6e Vol 1, and 6e Vol 2. They have everything you ever wanted to know about every part of the rules. I only pull those books out when I need to look up something fiddly. Otherwise, I use Champions Complete for most quick rule questions.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:56 PM, MistWing said:

I keep finding references to such things (usually advantage and limitations) and I have no idea where to find the definition for them

Also be sure to know which version they are referring to.  There really isn't a vast difference between versions.  But many people still play 5thR. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 1:56 AM, MistWing said:

Just out of curiosity, is there a file or book that lists every power, advantage, limitation, adder, etc. in the various books as well as where to find them?  I keep finding references to such things (usually advantage and limitations) and I have no idea where to find the definition for them

Thank you

In short: No. I am not sure if such a reference would be legal or not, but if someone can point me to a fair use that says indexing multiple books is fair use I might undertake a version of it for 6e. The best start would be 6e1, 6e2, APG1&2 and then a few things from FH.

- E

• 2 weeks later...

While not really powers, you won't be steered wrong in picking up Hero System Martial Arts. They have various martial arts styles, how to create your own martial arts style, and various oriental weapons and martial arts power examples for you to use.

If you want actual new powers, advantages, and limitations, then both Hero System Advance Player's Guide books (APG1 and APG2) will serve you well. Prebuilt gadgets? Hero System Equipment book does the trick. Prebuilt powers? Champions Powers. Prebuilt spells? Fantasy Hero and more importantly Hero System Grimoire.

Still not enough examples? You can look over the official villains in all three Champions Villain Volume books for example powers. There is also the so far two volume Hero System Template books. There basically various Marvel superheroes and villains with the serial numbers filed off. We hope for a DC one or two and a manga/independent volume at a later date...maybe. (As what I mean by we, I mean me. I can only speak for myself anyways.)

Does this help any?

On 2/3/2022 at 10:56 PM, MistWing said:

Thank you

I guess the first question out of the gate should have been what are you reading when you are finding the references?  

Hero 6th rulebooks vol 1 & 2, have a fantastic index covering both volumes in both books.  Hero 5thR rulebook also has a great index.

One thing about the books that were put out when Steve Long was there, they have one heck of comprehensive index's.