RIP Ivan Reitman at 75

Ivan Reitman, producer and director of 'Ghostbusters,' has died at 75 

Reitman was also behind classics like "National Lampoon's Animal House" and "Stripes." 

Reitman's directing credits include "Twins," "Kindergarten Cop," and "Junior," and "Dave."

And more. 

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

I'm getting tired of these great people only 10 years older than me up and dying.

I am even more tired of people who were close to me at some points in my life up and dying, and my not finding out until five or even ten years later. The deaths of artists and athletes hitting me hard I am used to. But only finding out about the death of a friend who helped me through the darkest years of my life passing away fifteen years ago, and my not knowing until last year -- that's hard.

I finally found a high school/college friend on social media the other day. I'd been looking for him every few years thinking that he'd eventually show up.

He had those classic movie star looks and weighed maybe a lean 140 pounds (I was chubby even while doing vast amounts of physical labor which would have put visible muscles on a normal person).

Today he looks maybe 15 years older than me and at least 30 pounds heavier. There's no visible trace that he used to be very handsome. Judging from his social media, he hasn't had a particularly hard life like sex, drugs, and rock & roll which would have explained the change.

I'm beginning to think that "aging" has little to do with age, even if dying still seems to have a lot to do with death. 

On All Things Considered, their movie critic Bob Mondello said critics hadn't particularly liked Ghostbusters. Maybe not the critics in normspace, but Baird Searles, the critic for Magazine of Fantasy and /Science Fiction gave a rave review that captured it well. It was genius how the movie started as silly supernatural comedy, like something Thorne Smith might have written, then slid seamlessly to a Lovecraftian resurgence of Elder Gods, and then brought it all back to comedy again.

It was a formative work for me. I greatly honor Mr. Reitman for his part in making it, and mourn his loss to the world.

Dean Shomshak