2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

They were going nowhere this year anyway.  FiveThirtyEight gives them a 5% chance to make the playoffs.  Tied with Carolina, ahead of only Pitt, Detroit, and Houston.

It's largely a long shot but what they have to give back to the Falcons is...practically nothing as well, unless Ridley pans out.  I do roll my eyes at the move, tho, because Ridley's got too much of a flaky history, and IMO acquiring flakes is a very bad idea.  

The Broncos are bailing.  Bradley Chubb traded.  

Oh my gosh, thank God for the World Series.

TNF rates to be a SLAUGHTER.  Eagles at Texans.  The line is Philly -14...on the road, no less...and it looks to moving more in Philly's direction as the game approaches.  Philly is generally around -750...bet $750 to win $100.

This game might be over before the opening kickoff, it's such a gross mismatch.  I don't think that the lack of prep will matter, as a Thursday debacle...Philly can probably just overwhelm the Texans.

Technically, the rights fees are to use game highlights provided by NFL Films.  That the "express written consent."  You pay for it.  Figure the networks have some sort of deal in place, too.

But it is...bizarre, to be sure.  And why now?  The show started in 2017, according to IMDb.  Someone took offense?  Just some Herbert trying to make brownie points?  I agree with the writer that it really won't hurt the NFL that much;  they're Teflon.  But it still sounds like a stupid move. 

But that begs the question.

Why would Belichick BOTHER?  The Raiders will do it to themselves with no outside assistance;  on that, they've got an ironclad track record.

The fact that they were a playoff team last year...that they should have been better...and they looked AWFUL last week against a mediocre at best Saints team, opens the door for a plausible mid-season house cleaning...GM and coach.

My biggest takeaway this weekend was that the Bengals should sit Burrow for his own safety. If they couldn't block against a not very good Browns team (i swear 50 was lining up at one of the running back spots the whole game). Until they get their O-line together, he is going to be killed and I would hate to see him turn into another David Carr. What makes it worse, he was sacked that many times and he is top of the QBs in how quickly he gets the ball out. I truly think he can be a franchise QB, but not as a paraplegic.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

My biggest takeaway this weekend was that the Bengals should sit Burrow for his own safety. If they couldn't block against a not very good Browns team (i swear 50 was lining up at one of the running back spots the whole game). Until they get their O-line together, he is going to be killed and I would hate to see him turn into another David Carr. What makes it worse, he was sacked that many times and he is top of the QBs in how quickly he gets the ball out. I truly think he can be a franchise QB, but not as a paraplegic.

Don't be silly, David Carr wasn't a paraplegic.  Just a paranoid shell of his former self with PTSD.

Incidentally, David is the reason why Derek has always had one of the fastest times-to-throw in the league.

20 minutes ago, Old Man said:

S TDs?

Meanwhile, I'm busy watching Ekeler vs. Patterson, but it looks like the Raiders exploded to a 17-0 lead against the JAGs and then stopped playing.

Halftime adjustments can work wonders, looks like.  Well, 3 minutes left, down 4.  One last chance.

EDIT:  never mind.  3rd and 2 and they try to throw deep from their own 39?  Then can't convert the 4th?

The coaching carousel is gonna be in high gear this off-season...unless half of em get fired before then.