2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Does anyone else feel like Rodgers has given up on this team/doesn't want to be there right now?  It just felt that way for much of the game to me, and especially in the postgame press conference.

At 4-7, they probably have to win out.  Good luck with that;  Bears, Rams, and Lions, OK, we can concede those for argument's sake.  The other 3?  Vikes at home;  Eagles and Dolphins on the road.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Rodgers is #25, Wilson is #27 in QBR.  In PAA, points above average, Rodgers is #27, Wilson #29.  BTW:  to qualify for that list, the player must have played 20 plays per team game played, so there's no instances of Small Sample Size Theater.

The plausible bright side for Bronco fans is, how much of this is Hackett?  The dark side?  Probably not nearly enough.  

Buffalo weather report...western parts of the city have 4 feet of snow so far.  Bills plan to return after Sunday;  I'm beginning to wonder if that's smart, since they go right back for the early Turkey Day game.  (That's also why they couldn't delay until Monday.)  But the planning for the players, coaches and traveling party would be greatly different, so the later they have that intent, the harder it gets to change.

That thought had crossed my mind too.  Getting out of town can't be easy...and in fact, it's not.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/11/19/23467742/bills-browns-weather-travel-ban-airport-closed-buffalo-snowmobiles

This link's also in the story but...wow.  Worth a quick look...

EDIT:  from the story, the flight was scheduled to leave at 3:30 Eastern.  Bills were boarding at 4...after spending MULTIPLE hours getting everyone *to* the airport, apparently.  And they landed in Detroit about 15 minutes ago.  

I'd have to look at the line...but were I to bet, I'd be inclined to take the Bengals and the points.  There's got to be at least a good chance they won't be at their best.

HOW MUCH??????

From Accuweather:

Since Thursday, Nov. 17, Orchard Park, New York, home to the NFL's Buffalo Bills, has recorded a whopping 77 inches of snow, just 7 inches shy of 7 feet. 

If confirmed by the New York state climatology office, the more than 5 feet of snow that fell in Orchard Park on Friday alone would set a new state record for most snowfall within a 24-hour period. The old record stands at 50 inches from Camden, New York, in 1966.

Emphasis mine.  

The Bills were lucky to get out at all, and getting back Sunday won't be a whole lot better.  Cleaning out THIS MUCH snow takes a while.

Is anyone watching Pats-Jets?  AFAIK the weather's OK...cold, but clear...so why is it 3-3 approaching the 2 minute warning?

Jalen Hurts runs a QB draw to finally take the lead for the Eagles.  NOT pretty but a win's a win...and looks like, move 2 up on the division.  Giants have scored to cut it to 13 but there's only 4 minutes left.

EDIT:  never mind.  Saw enough as CBS switched to Jets-Pats.  Jets, at least, had nothing to threaten, and their D is pretty good.  So of course the game's decided on an 84 yard punt return for 6.  THE FIRST PUNT RETURN FOR A TD OF THE SEASON.  With less than 30 seconds left in the game.

No editor would buy the story of this season.  No way.  Ludicrous.  Beyond plausible.  No one's gonna buy it.....

45 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Is anyone watching Pats-Jets?

We watched that trainwreck of a game. It was... incredible. I think it may have set a record for sacks and punts between both teams. It was terrible, but I couldn't look away. Trainwreck football at its best. And that ending couldn't have been scripted any better. 

In their 10th game of the season, the Denver Broncos scored a touchdown on their opening drive for the first time this year. They've now added a field goal and hold a double-digit lead, which I'm not sure they've done at any point this year either.

Some interesting news this morning, as it was revealed that Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett has turned play calling duties over to quarterbacks coach Klint Kubiak. I find it interesting that Kubiak is calling the plays, and not Offensive Coordinator Justin Outten.

Which leads me to wonder ... if Kubiak is calling the plays and Jerry Rosberg is managing the game from the booth, what exactly is Hackett doing again?

7 minutes ago, Pariah said:

In their 10th game of the season, the Denver Broncos scored a touchdown on their opening drive for the first time this year. They've now added a field goal and hold a double-digit lead, which I'm not sure they've done at any point this year either.

Some interesting news this morning, as it was revealed that Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett has turned play calling duties over to quarterbacks coach Klint Kubiak. I find it interesting that Kubiak is calling the plays, and not Offensive Coordinator Justin Outten.

Which leads me to wonder ... if Kubiak is calling the plays and Jerry Rosberg is managing the game from the booth, what exactly is Hackett doing again?

Shifting bla...err, I mean...delegating?  :)

Melvin Gordon, you useless pile of fetid dingo's kidneys! What the [REDACTED] is wrong with you?!

Why we didn't get rid of this fumble machine at the trade deadline, I haven't a clue. Unless nobody else wanted him. Which is entirely possible.

And then a blocked field goal from the five yard line? Mother of Hades.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys are pretty systematically dismantling the Vikes.  The bookies are smiling.  Up 20-3, BEAUTIFUL sideline catch by Lamb to set up a 60 yard FG attempt, after gaining 40 or so yards in 25 seconds...and they get the ball to start the 3rd.  

ARGH.  I hate...I loathe...I detest replay sometimes.  They take TOO <BLEEP>ING LONG to decide to stop things, and to make the calls.  The Cowboys were in no rush, they got set up, they snapped it for the kick...the kick's good.  OH, BUT NO!!! We're gonna check the catch!!!  Oh, and the ruling is "call stands."

HATE that.  It's like a batter trying to step out and call time when the pitcher's already in his motion. 

Well, good thing is, Maher nailed it.  Ball don't lie. 

5 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Could the snowstorm over Buffalo be moved so as to consume the participants in that game?

Well it is in Denver, so we could try invoking the Ghost of Bill McNichols...

(Christmas eve blizzard of 1982.  Totally unexpected, completely paralyzed the city.  McNichols was a, IIRC, 6-term mayor, and he lost due to the poor response.  It was 'only' 24 inches in about 18 hours.)

EDIT:  OH MY!!!!  I'm typing that up, not watching the gamecast...BOOM, BOOM, OUT GO THE LIGHTS!!!!!  2 big plays and the Raiders win!!!!