2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

10 hours ago, death tribble said:

I have said it before and you would never forgive me if I did not do so this year. The Minnesota Vikings this year. 

True, I needed a good laugh today.

Speaking of good laughs, tonight is the first round of the draft.  So tomorrow is all the pundits posting their first-round draft grades.  Those are ALWAYS good for a laugh.

9 hours ago, Cygnia said:

My husband will be crowdsourcing a new team to root for this coming season.  When the brackets are up next fall, I'll post a link.

Based on the posters here, we can rule out the Vikings, Broncos, Jags, Bengals, Seahawks, and especially the Raiderps.  Only lunatics root for those teams.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Based on the posters here, we can rule out the Vikings, Broncos, Jags, Bengals, Seahawks, and especially the Raiderps.  Only lunatics root for those teams.

He's gonna have a list of 16 teams.  Besides no Browns, all Florida teams will be banned as well from the options.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Now wait just a dang a minute there! I'll have you know....

... actually, you're right. Carry on, then.

(Your replies have been merged.)

In addition to my usual fruitless support of the Donkeys, I will also be cheering for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this year

Okay, so small annoyance but why is Tampa Bay starting with 5 minutes on the clock? They've had literally all day to figure out who it is they want to draft. Make the first pick, and let's get on with our lives.

And what's the deal with the illusionist escaping from a straight jacket whilst suspended upside down 40 ft in the air? Even in Vega$, what in the world does that have to do with football? Let's just focus on football.

(And if you disagree with my assessment, then kindly get the hell off my lawn, kid!)

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Okay, so small annoyance but why is Tampa Bay starting with 5 minutes on the clock? They've had literally all day to figure out who it is they want to draft. Make the first pick, and let's get on with our lives.

And what's the deal with the illusionist escaping from a straight jacket whilst suspended upside down 40 ft in the air? Even in Vega$, what in the world does that have to do with football? Let's just focus on football.

Same thing, from different sides.

You have to give the airbags their time to squeal.

The illusionist is there to distract you from the fact that the whole thing is nothing BUT squealing airbags, and actually *watching* the draft is sheer masochism.  It's fine to be interested in what your team does...but you can check that the next morning, and not be completely drowned by the drivel they spew.

OTOH, according to the Fox Sports crawl, Georgia set a new high water mark for players drafted from one team in one draft, at 15, passing 2020 LSU (Joe Burrow, undefeated SEC, national champs) and 2004 Ohio State.  Each had 14.  (Note:  this was for a 7 round draft.  Used to be longer, but the success rate of 6th and 7th round picks is pretty darn low in the first place...give the marginal players more options.)  Also, Georgia had 5 defensive players drafted in the first round...also a record.

I'll probably spend some time tomorrow reading the draft snark and seeing who made themselves a laughingstock.

I'm easily amused, I know.

Meanwhile, Cincinnati had nine players drafted, the highest ever for a team not in a Power 5 conference.

The Broncos drafted a bunch of role players. I don't know that there's a lot to get excited about, but as one of the commentators noted, what Denver gets in this draft has to be judged in the context of what they gave up to get Russell Wilson. If the Broncos make the playoffs this year, no one will really be talking about the fact that their first draft pick was at the very end of the second round.