Hell Bomb power idea

megaplayboy

So, the idea is for an attack that sends the targets "straight to hell"(a random location thereto).  XDM(single group of related dimensions(Infernal Realms), Usable as Attack(stopped by magic force fields, having xdm or teleportation powers, power defense or a "pure soul"), x64 mass(if it's necessary under the rules), AoE 8 meter radius.  

Is that rules legal?  I think the above is 125 active points, a lot less if the extra mass multiples aren't necessary. "Sends to random location" seems like it could be a -1 limitation or a wash, since you can't use it to travel effectively to hell, but you also have a harder time recovering those sent thereto.  

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering how to write up a "banish to prison realm/retrieve from banishment" power combo too.

The book states that a UAA power should not have limitations unless those limitations only affect the grantor.  So, the Random locations is not a valid limitation.  Besides the purpose behind this power is to remove the target from the game so not being able to choose the location does not really reduce the functionality of the power. 

You also only have to worry about the mass if the target is not living, or the power has its own rules for increasing mass.  If the power only affects living creatures, it does not need them.  Usually, only creatures with souls can be sent to hell.  Since anything with a soul is going to be a living creature you probably don’t need to purchase any increased mass.

For the retrieval simply declare that a second use of the power returns the target from the banished location.   

UAA is a bloody damn mess.  Yes, I think it's legal, but LW is correct that, as an attack, sending to a random destination is meaningless.

While I think it's legal, I'm gonna advise against it.  Note that XDM is a stop sign power.  UAA is a stop sign power.   This power hoses a character.  Very, very badly...in many, if not most, cases, it's a "turn in your character sheet" power.  Note that the escape clause to get out of Hell is...XDM.  But if you can do that?  The bomb doesn't work.  

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

UAA is a bloody damn mess.  Yes, I think it's legal, but LW is correct that, as an attack, sending to a random destination is meaningless.

While I think it's legal, I'm gonna advise against it.  Note that XDM is a stop sign power.  UAA is a stop sign power.   This power hoses a character.  Very, very badly...in many, if not most, cases, it's a "turn in your character sheet" power.  Note that the escape clause to get out of Hell is...XDM.  But if you can do that?  The bomb doesn't work.  

It was more of an NPC power to be a plot hook, with a group of PCs then having to figure out how to get back, and maybe deal with some infernal adventures along the way.  I certainly would look askance at a player suggesting this power (at least, in any way it could be employed in combat time).

You might be interested in a similar VPP power I developed for my Young Scratch character:

Through Me The Way Is To The City Dolent: Extra-Dimensional Movement (single location in the Netherworld), Area Of Effect (personal Surface—Damage Shield; +¼), Constant (+½), Usable As Attack (does not work on targets of good character or who have holy objects upon their person; +1¼) (60 Active Points); Gestures (both hands; -½), Incantations (-¼), No Range (-½). Total cost: 27 points.

I set up the exceptions conditions on the UAA so that it wouldn't work on anyone who wasn't going to end up there eventually anyway.

On 4/29/2022 at 6:52 PM, LoneWolf said:

If this is a plot hook don’t bother writing it up.   Not everything in the game needs to be written up, especially if the Heroes are not supposed to be able to prevent it especially if it is a onetime thing.  

I have a plot hook like that in my current game.  I just hand wave it.

To me a plot hook is not something the players are supposed to be able to overcome.  Plot hooks should be used sparingly but when they are used the players should not be able to stop them.  When players avoid a plot hook in can result in invalidating the whole adventure.  Most GM’s don’t have an unlimited amount of time to create contingencies for every action.  Avoiding the plot hook can often lead to situations where the GM has nothing to run.  This is something that I have seen as both a GM and a player.  It really sucks when you spent weeks writing up an adventure for your players and planned a long game over a holiday weekend and one of the players manages to prevent the event that triggers the whole adventure.  What do you tell your players when 20 minutes into what was supposed to be a marathon session that you got nothing to run because someone stopped something that was supposed to happen?

There is a big difference between an obstacle and a plot hook.  When a player overcomes an obstacle in a manner you had not considered that improves the game.  When the player cancels the adventure because they destroyed you plot hook that destroys the game.

NEVER WRITE UP A PLOT HOOK.

I mostly agree, unless the whole plot is to prevent whatever the hook is, from happening.  But you don't write up the whole thing;  you write up ways to damp it, or slow it down...then finally shut it down altogether.

I will qualify that a bit more:  you can write up elements, for the purpose of defining interference points for the PCs to disrupt things.

But both of those are really more writing up the adventure aspects.