Stretching question

Tech

If a hero with the power Stretching can stretch either arms 6" and he holds out his arms in different directions (thus 12" total), how much stretching should be gotten total? Is the 'holding out arms diff directions' just part of having the power?

If we are in a rules forum, I am going to get burned as I am not one of the anointed.  ;)

I have always taken it to mean that in this instance you would need 12" of stretching.  I have always assumed that this was the total the character could stretch for whatever justification is necessary: balance, concentration, what-have-you.  Kind of like saying that controlling one limb doing one thing at 12" was the best he could do (for whatever reason- maybe he is "only so pliable" or "only has so much mass to stretch." )

He is at a similar limit when stretching two limbs two directions (possibly, but not necessarily, doing two things) six inches each, or four limbs three inches ech.

Ultimately, it is a meta thing: you can buy X inches, and a crafty player can find a way to convince you that he should get more, but ultimately, he didn't buy more, and it can step on the toes of the guy who did.

6 hours ago, Tech said:

If a hero with the power Stretching can stretch either arms 6" and he holds out his arms in different directions (thus 12" total), how much stretching should be gotten total? Is the 'holding out arms diff directions' just part of having the power?

get the "x2 body dimension"adder to have a wing span of 12m for 5 pts

Stretching 6m, x2 body dimension

8 hours ago, Tech said:

The way that I read it is that from a central point the character can employ Stretching any number times if he's willing to pay the END for each Stretching instance because Stretching is a Constant Power—in the same way that a character can use Darkness on multiple areas at the same time if he's willing to pay the END for each new and different area of Darkness.

So while it may look like the character with 10 m of Stretching is Stretching 20 m when he's extended in two or more different directions, the character's really just using the same Stretching Power multiple times and paying the END (and taking appropriate Actions) for each new and different Stretching instance.

Duke Bushido could totally be right, though.

The amount of Stretching purchased is the total amount that one can use at one time. So if you want both limbs to be able to have 6” then you need to buy 12”. However if you only wanted both arms to only go 6” then I’D use Beast’s suggestion. Also Non-combat allows you to double your Stretching distance.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Duke Bushido is correct, and the rule book specifically mention this on page 284. 

Yep. 6E1 284: "The number of meters of Stretching a character purchases represents the total amount of Stretching his body can use at any one time. If he uses all of his Stretching to Stretch one body part, he can’t Stretch any others;…." Huh. That's too bad, but good to know.