Star*Guard in TE times?

Steve

Has there been any explanation given as to what the Star*Guard are up to during the Alien Wars and Terran Empire eras? Did this organization simply vanish when magic faded and superheroes went away? I assume they might return as part of the Galactic Champions era. Anyone else given this matter any thought?

Yes, I've given it a great deal of thought. ;)

You'll find out why they're not around in AW/TE times in Galactic Champions, which because it has to explain the re-emergence of superhumans has to likewise explain when and why they disappeared.

In short: the Star*Guard isn't up to anything in AW/TE times; in effect it doesn't exist because it's physically impossible, given the laws governing the Hero Universe, for it to do what it does between roughly 2020 and 3000. ;)

So, no rading of Starguard caches of hardware during the Empire era so we can steal the Neat Toys? :)

Originally posted by Steve Long

Yes, I've given it a great deal of thought. ;)

You'll find out why they're not around in AW/TE times in Galactic Champions, which because it has to explain the re-emergence of superhumans has to likewise explain when and why they disappeared.

In short: the Star*Guard isn't up to anything in AW/TE times; in effect it doesn't exist because it's physically impossible, given the laws governing the Hero Universe, for it to do what it does between roughly 2020 and 3000. ;)

I respect Steve's decision, and I admit that having the Star*Guard around during the AW and TE eras might muddy up the political dynamics of those settings: but I find it hard to accept that the SG would be "physically" unable to function during periods of low magic. From what I read of the organization's writeup in Digital Hero, the Star*Guard relies primarily on technology that is not impossibly more advanced than what's available to other interstellar races and groups in the galaxy.

I agree with Lord Liaden here. Even if Star*Guard does not have access to their Star Staff they still have all of the technology within the ATRI 10-11 range. So the organization might become more like the Texas Rangers than the Green Lantern Corp, but I find it hard to believe that without a major catastrophy it would completely disappear.

It could well be that the same catastrophe that disrupts magic in 2020 also cripples the Star*Guard organizational structure somehow. Only the event reviving magic in 3000 (either directly, or specifically because it revives magic) brings them back.

OTOH I'm hoping that the alien species mentioned in the DH write-ups of the local Star*Guard people get their appearances in Worlds Of Empire. ;)

I would imagine an organization like Star*Guard would have seriously inconvenienced any number of powerful interstellar governments over the years, and that they would have been glad for the opportunity to get rid of them when their powers vanished. Maybe a few survivors go underground to keep the flame alive, secretly aiding the forces of good while all the while waiting for the moment when their staves start glowing again...

Originally posted by Highwayman

I would imagine an organization like Star*Guard would have seriously inconvenienced any number of powerful interstellar governments over the years, and that they would have been glad for the opportunity to get rid of them when their powers vanished. Maybe a few survivors go underground to keep the flame alive, secretly aiding the forces of good while all the while waiting for the moment when their staves start glowing again...

I think that's almost exactly the way to handle it, to tell the truth. It keeps a certain level of "connectedness," and also makes for a really good campaign hook during the interim periods. The weakened, underground Star*Guard might even have had a hand (secretly, of course) in the formation of the Galactic Federation.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

I think that's almost exactly the way to handle it, to tell the truth. It keeps a certain level of "connectedness," and also makes for a really good campaign hook during the interim periods. The weakened, underground Star*Guard might even have had a hand (secretly, of course) in the formation of the Galactic Federation.

I like this notion, that the Star*Guard do still exist, but on the fringes of interstellar society, fading into legends until the Galactic Federation and the Galactic Champions arrive on the scene. Since they would not have superpowers, they would have to rely more on available technology.

Just as a side note, I am personally using the Star*Guard in my CU game closer in design to the Jedi Knights than the Green Lantern Corp. The Star Staff replaces the lightsaber, but they use the Star Staff in a similar way with their Martial Arts package. There are no "Force" powers but the versatility of the Star Staff gives them a certain "Force-like" feel.

Originally posted by ChaosDrgn

What issue is the Star*Guard in?

#5-#7.

#5 gives the basic information on the Star*Guard organization and gives the bio and character sheet for Brin Rei Tarn (Star*Guard I). That is the Star*Guard pictured on the message boards scroll.

#6 give the character sheets and bios for the "Star Marshals," Star*Guard I's support staff. It also gives the write up for the Starjet, Europa Base, a Maintenance Bot, and give the Star*Guard package deal, in case one of the PCs wants to be a Star*Guard.

#7 gives the bio and character sheet for Mordace (think Sinestro) as well as the bio and character sheet for Overseer Sixteen (think Oa Guardian).

Originally posted by Monolith

Just as a side note, I am personally using the Star*Guard in my CU game closer in design to the Jedi Knights than the Green Lantern Corp. The Star Staff replaces the lightsaber, but they use the Star Staff in a similar way with their Martial Arts package. There are no "Force" powers but the versatility of the Star Staff gives them a certain "Force-like" feel.

I really like your approach, Monolith. :) One thing about the Star*Guard that bothered me was that although they seem strongly inspired by the Green Lantern Corps, individual Star*Guards have nowhere near the power to function like them. Treating them more like jedi seems much more appropriate; their contribution to galactic civilization becomes less a matter of the power they can bring to bear, and more the ideals that they inspire.

I'm starting to really, really like what's being developed here. I agree that it does seem unreasonable that an organization like Star*Guard would simply vanish from existance just because their equipment stopped working (I suspect that their little warp-drive transports would continue to work, but not much else). If they had some sort of glimpse into the future just before the 2020 event and knew that magic would come back into the universe, they might very well have gone underground (to avoid retaliation from those enemies whose technology still worked) and kept the proverbial flame alive.

Who knows but that in 3001 Star*Guard might even reveal that they have intact records of Earth's superhero era? ;)

I could see the Star*Guard living a secretive existence after having their ranks devastated while fighting the xenovore incursion, and possibly even having CONTROL damaged (and because the "magic level" is not high enough the technology is not there to repair it) by the xenovores.

Then after the wars they become hunted and forced even more underground by the upswing of the Terran "emperors" who are concerned about their meddling in the new régime . So you are left with a band of Star*Guard very much like the hidden Jedi in Star Wars; they are still trying to do some good but are being slowly exterminated when they show themselves to openly.

I envision them running around with Shock Staffs attempting to emulate the Star Staffs of old, fighting their secret battles and trying to bring order and justice to an increasingly more corrupted galaxy.

For a bit of flavoring, add in some elements of the Rangers from Babylon 5, such as a Martial Arts style mixing traditions of several worlds and probably some influence from their ethical code. Also a little bit of the secret society in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, in terms of dedication and stealthy techniques (and of course a bit of color).

They could even have a (secret) hand in the formation of the Galactic Federation, and start to come out of hiding during that period.

(Steve Long, I know you're probably watching this thread with some interest... and I hope we're giving you some fun ideas!) :D

Originally posted by Monolith

I can see it now...

"The Star*Guard are extinct. Their fire has gone out in the universe." :)

Makes me wonder if Mordace may have somehow contributed to the end of magic, which would effectively end the Star*Guard as a major power in the galaxy, until they experience a rebirth in the Galactic Champions era.

IF you want them around during that time you could always play a few old tricks.

1 is that they're having problems of their own. Done often in WW2 games to explain why heroes aren't on the battlefront where they belong. They're around, just too busy to lend a helping hand.

2, for some reason or another they're not allowed in allied space. This could be because of treaties, magic isn't big enough in the area (but space being as big as it is could still have some pockets of activity).

or (3) could just say they're around, they're doing things but the PCs are normal humans. What the Guard is doing is above them. The pc's may hear what the Guard is doing or at least rumors, but they'll never see one in person.

Originally posted by Darren Watts

Actually, I'm both the writer of Galactic Champions (where the fate of the Star*Guard will be revealed) and their original creator, so it's me reading this with interest. Several of your ideas are close to what I had already planned, and I think you'll be pretty happy with what I've worked out. dw

This being the case, I'm happy we could provide you with, if nothing else, a sense of validation. :) Hopefully you're getting at least one or two new, if minor, ideas from our ramblings. :D

Space is big, and a thousand years is a long time. Whatever the "official" answer turns out to be, there's plenty of room in there for lone survivors and small splinter groups to do whatever you want in your campaign before they vanish from history.

Just had a thought for a Galatic Champions enemy: A small group of Star*Guard refugees are stranded on a violent, backward planet where they and their decendants are forced to become brutal warlords just to survive. A thousand years later, those decendants take up their now repowered, perhaps supercharged staffs and lead their armies out for revenge on the galaxy that abandoned them.