5th Edition Sidekick Challenge

Hermit

Here are some of my sidekick ideas...

Defender - Originally built as a Chess opponent that he could be challenged by, this Self Helping Intelligent Educational Learning Device eventually evolved into the know-it-all robot sidekick SHIELD.

Ironclad - After helping to build the 7th Street Shelter, Ironclad met a young, orphaned boxer with a serious case of Hero Worship. Ironclad took the boy under his wing, training him and giving him the nickname Scapper

Sapphire - When Utility ambushed her during a concert, a mutant member of the security team threw himself in front of the projectile and helped Sapphire subdue the criminal. From then on he was put in charge of her security and took on the name Bodyman.

Nighthawk has been covered above and Witchcraft has Sunshine!

The obvious sidekick for Defender is a young female with a crush on him, to which he can be oblivious... A quick edit of the 250 point 4th Ed Defender would provide a suitable character sheet. I've started one, but I haven't got the time to finish it.

Other 4th Ed sheets can be used for other characters.

As for personalities... people seem to be working on a sidekick for Nighthawk, so I'll avoid that one.

I'm not sure that Witchcraft is ready for an apprentice yet, but she might get one anyway. I'd consider a young kid, probably female, with fairly normal stats and a bit of a pool or multipower. Perhaps with some "no conscious control" type problems, activation rolls, and all that kind of thing. It might almost be more a DNPC situation, rather than a sidekick.

She already has a familiar (her cat), bought as a DNPC.

A male apprentice might be amusing, but is more likely to be farmed out to a male wizard, IMHO.

Ironclad might become mentor to another alien. They wouldn't have to be from his planet, or have powers in any way like his.

Sapphire, now... I'd use an edit of the 4th Ed Starburst's character sheet. Personality would be... interesting.

Alan

I have to say I see Magpie as a girl

Lets see Margaret Pie or Maggie was a street kid, mother was an alcoholic dad was in jail she grew up with no supervision she was a natural climber with no fear of heights by the time she was 14 she was working with a young street punks who wanted to be professional thieves. She was there cat burglar climbing through tiny windows and vents to disable alarms. She might have stayed a thief.

If she hadn’t got involved with the wrong heist it went great Maggie clamed in the roof of the ware house disabled the alarm system and then the boys came in took out the guard and loaded up the truck with what was supposed to be high priced consumer electronics.

Unfortunately the warehouse was a cover for viper and the electronics where part of one of there grand schemes. The gang dumped the gear off with their fence and went off to celebrate. Maggie went home the next day the paper was full of a series of grisly murders the victims had been tortured and killed in disgusting ways and Maggie recognized everyone they where her gang. Maggie skipped town.

She would have stayed away but viper unable to find her killed her mother in another grisly ritualistic attack.

That was the last straw Maggie came back changing her identity she hit the streets she was always stealthy and no one really noticed street kids. She started gathering data on viper taking photos gathering evidence she assembled a dossier on the local nest she handed the file over to the FBI signed simply Magpie.

The viper nest was ruined the higher members got wind and fled Maggie discovered the leader hand moved top the millennium city nest and followed and that where she met Nighthawk sneaking up on him as he watched the viper nest. Nighthawk was impressed by her stealth and her climbing and acrobatic skills she had the beginnings of a brilliant detective as well he took her under his wing taking the young orphan as his ward and teaching her his skills together they fight viper to avenge the suffering the serpent has wrought.

strictly speaking mapies are back and white which should stand out though obviously not as much as red green and yellow.

fun future events magpies dad turns up as the latest nest recruit.

alternativly dad gets out of jail and tries to claim her.

magpie discovers she has some previosuly unknown luck based powers

The scene in my head is something like this...

Nighthawk perched with a patience that was borderline uncanny. The girl next to him was still unused to her new more protective costume, but she insisted on this lifestyle, he was damned if he was going to send her in a world full of bullets unprepared.

"So...anything yet?" She twitched, as her mentor glanced through his spyscope off his utility belt. The stake out was taking forever she thought. "Can I take a look?" She reached for the scope.

"No." He responded simply.

"Oh." She waited...then spoke again, "Just how many gadgets do you have in there? The belt I mean? I would guess there could only be so much room..."

"Twelve." He replied. Her hand reached out to tap his belt, and he stated calmly, "Don't. "

"Sorry. Just curious." She settled back into the silence. Finally she asked, "So, Nighthawk and Magpie... you won't regret this, you know? I'll be a great help, and you can teach me how to make VIPER pay... which they will and... say, why Magpie? Because won't that give away my real name too easily?"

"I didn't call you Magpie because of your real name." He stated calmly as he continued to follow their quarry's movement. "They're still in there, not going anywhere for a while."

Magpie sighed, then seemed to remember where the conversation was, "Uhm, why did you call me Magpie then? Because I'm as graceful as a bird? I fly down on opponents? I'm swift?" She eyed his wrist bracer again, wondering when she'd get one of her own.

"No." He pulled back, "I call you that because you won't keep your hands off other people's stuff, and you talk too much."

"Oh." She said, and grumphed silently to herself for the next hour.

:D

My character Blackhawk nee' Nighthawk started out as the sidekick to the old Nighthawk. His name was Nifty, the Boy Furie. So it was Nighthawk and Nifty. What do you want? It was the Silver Age! And Blackhawk nee' Nighthawk's own sidekick was (before her untimely banishment back to her home dimension) named Maggie. So sort of like Magpie.

I guess sits a bit obvious but then so is wearing variation of your murdered families circus costume to fight crime.

Magpie seems like a perfect name for a junior crime fighter

Magpie

Pica pica

AKA: Black-billed magpie (N America)

Magpies seem to be jacks-of-all-trades – scavengers, predators and pest-destroyers; their challenging, almost arrogant attitude has won them few friends. With its noisy chattering, black-and-white plumage and long tail, there is nothing else quite like the magpie in the UK. When seen close-up its black plumage takes on an altogether more colorful hue with a purplish-blue iridescent sheen to the wing feathers, and a green gloss to the tail. Non-breeding birds will gather together in flocks.

I’m really tempted to give her kleptomaniac tendencies, which tend to work out for the best with her stealing the key component for the death ray or the key card for the cell some has locked nighthawk in.

The more I think about it some minor luck powers would be useful

I’m seeing low level clinging, as never falls and an uncontrollable jinx to shut down video cameras or alarms guess the combination on keypads or just have that blaster rifle fail to discharge.

I also think increased DCV or decreased for her opponents who have a tendency to trip and fall would make her more of a challenge as a sidekick

Combined with a gadget pool armored costume and a mask with vision assistance and flash defense.

Costume: I’m thinking black and white body suit mostly white on the chest mostly black on arms and legs worn with a black hooded cape with white segments in the interior closing the cape will hide all of the white. Maggie also adds white stripes to her short black hair before going out she wears large goggles (think current Cat woman) like a mask the feature a bird beak that covers her nose and features a filter system as long as she breaths through her nose. A small gadget pool including various grenades and throwing discs. The most famous being her magpie call a sonic grenade designed to distract and confuse her enemies hearing she likes to take out the lights and then throw in one of these whilst she strikes with impunity. She fights using a collapsible staff.

Description Maggie is 5’6†wiry and lithe she always seems to be in motion but when she wants to be she can be as still and silent as the grave. Her features can only be described as cute with her short spiky black hair and challenging, almost arrogant attitude. She’s a bit of a wild child tending to get in trouble at school especially because things tend to go missing around her they always turn up again but people get suspicious. Maggie has a problem with bright shiny things and buttons she just has to push them for some reason this always seems to result in the destruction of some super geniuses doomsday weapon or the microwave. She has a tendency to become distracted by bright flashy powers and in particular cute boys with that sort of power.

Originally posted by assault

I'm not sure that Witchcraft is ready for an apprentice yet, but she might get one anyway. I'd consider a young kid, probably female, with fairly normal stats and a bit of a pool or multipower. Perhaps with some "no conscious control" type problems, activation rolls, and all that kind of thing. It might almost be more a DNPC situation, rather than a sidekick.

She already has a familiar (her cat), bought as a DNPC.

A male apprentice might be amusing, but is more likely to be farmed out to a male wizard, IMHO.

Alan [/b]

:cool:

actually in my campaign she actually have a aprentice,a magic girl type by the name of Dreamstar.

How they both got together? by the reccomendation of an older member of the Trimegistus Council, Anegla Warrick,who took the girl in after she was awakened from her coma.

As for her origin story I'll post it here in the thread if you'll ask nicely.

Originally posted by freakboy6117

hmm any chance someone could write up magpie as I'm still really new to the system' It woudl be nice to see how it she would look if done properly.

My campaign doesn't really follow Champions-guidelines on points and such, but...

Magpie

Alternate IDs: Margaret Pie

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
21 DEX 33
15 CON 10
13 BODY 6
15 INT 5
13 EGO 6
15 PRE 5
15 COM 3
9/18 PD 4
7/16 ED 1
4 SPD 9
5 REC 0
30 END 0
27 STUN 1
8" RUN42" SWIM04" LEAP2Characteristics Cost: 89

Cost Power END
10 Just Luck, I Guess: Luck 2d6
6 Missed Me!: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
10 Me, Fall?: Clinging (normal STR)
14 Oops, It Broke: Dispel Gadgets 5d6, Expanded Effect One At A Time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (41 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2)
9 Jinx: Change Environment 2" radius, -1 : DCV, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (32 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), No Range (-1/2)
18 Combat Vest: Armor (9 PD/9 ED) (27 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
8 Linegun Bracer: Swinging 12" (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 1
5 Mask Lenses: (Total: 8 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Flash Defense (3 points) (Sight Group) (3 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2)
3 Mask Filters: Life Support , Expanded Breathing (Gasses) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
4 Ear Plugs: Flash Defense (5 points) (Hearing Group) (5 Active Points); IIF (-1/4)
20 Utility Belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots: (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
1u 1) Collapsable Staff: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2) 2
1u 2) Throwing Blades: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 0 1/2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Ranged (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)
1u 3) Magpie Screamer: Flash 5d6 (Hearing Group), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)
1u 4) Mini-Camera: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Visual Images Only (-1/2)
1u 5) Mini-Recorder: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Sound Only (-1/2)
1u 6) Rebreather: Life Support , Expanded Breathing : Breathe Underwater, 1 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+0) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)
Powers Cost: 113

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Dirty Fighting
4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 2) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 3) Eye Gouge: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 4d6
4 4) Low Blow: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 NND
4 5) Punch/Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
1 6) Weapon Element: Staffs
Martial Arts Cost: 21

Cost Skill
5 +1 with DCV
6 +2 with Acrobatics, Breakfall, Climbing
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Contortionist 13-
1 Criminology 8-
1 Interrogation 8-
1 AK: Millennium City 8-
1 KS: Millennium City Underworld 8-
5 Lockpicking 14-
3 Mimicry 12-
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
2 Survival (Urban) 12-
1 Teamwork 8-
2 WF: Common Melee Weapons
Skills Cost: 52

Total Character Cost: 275

Val Disadvantages
5 Enraged: Fighting Viper (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-
20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
15 Hunted: Nighthawk 14- (Mo Pow; Watching)
5 Hunted: Child Welfare 11- (Less Pow; Mildly Punish; Limited Geographical Area; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
10 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common; Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Won't Keep Her Hands Off Other People's Stuff (Very Common; Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Talks Too Much (Common; Moderate)
5 Reputation: Jinx 11- (Known Only To A Small Group)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Margaret Pie) (Frequently; Major)
15 Social Limitation: Underage (Frequently; Major)
10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x Effect PRE Attacks (Common)

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Yes, it's the old Hero Boards template; I can't find where I saved the new one.

I stole some of Nighthawk's gadgets, added the suggested powers and personality, and scaled back a bit. I think she's overpowered for Teen Champions, but she might survive if she tags along with the Champions uninvited (as she seems apt to do).

Comment and critique away!