Justice League vs The Authority

nexus

Well, the thing is, the Avengers had one speedblitzer who could knock one or two non-invulnerable Authority members unconscious, and that was if Swift couldn't do a flying block.

The JLA have *four* speedblitzers, who can single-handedly punch out the entire Authority lineup at superspeed before any one of them gets to move -- the only exceptions being Apollo (who's flying, and durable enough to take multiple hits from Superman, Diana, J'onn) and a limited way Jack Hawksmoor or the Engineer (who the Flash can't punch out with one shot, but whom the other three can.)

And Swift can't even hope to keep up with any one of them.

The Doctor will be halfway through his first thought when *BLUR* and suddenly all but one or two of the Authority is lying stretched out flat on the mat. And that's if they /don't/ know who he is... he's just on the target list with all of the rest.(*)

(The JLA actually /has/ used this tactic on rare occasions -- rare, yes, but mass carrot attacks by the Doctor are only slightly less rare... *g*)

(*) After all, in superspeed mode, the JLA's speed guys can literally read all of "War And Peace" in the span of a millisecond, much less make a simple Half Phase PER roll and Deduction roll.

True, when I hear the words "JLA", without a lineup specified, I automatically default to the Big Seven.

(Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, the Flash, and Aquaman(*).)

(*) "Aquaman?", you might say, in between the fits of hysterical laughter?

Well....

1) I didn't name that lineup the 'big seven', DC did. I just report 'em.

2) To quote the legendary Kent "Unca Cheeks" Orlando...

"There is -- and has always been, really --- a minor (but noisy) faction within JUSTICE LEAGUE fandom which holds that Aquaman is a "weak sister" within the League's ranks; an ineffectual (you should only pardon the expression, please) "water boy" for a team boasting of (among others) The Last Son of Krypton; The World's Greatest Detective; The Fastest Man Alive; etcetera, etcetera, and yadda yadda yadda.

*ahem*

He rules over THREE-FOURTHS of the entire freaking PLANET.

This site is presently selling "clues" for five dollars a pop. :)

-- from the legendary Unca Cheeks, circa 1998

I think I just said that. :)

Round one -- at superspeed, everybody but Apollo is now unconscious.

Round two -- Superman proceeds to drag Apollo face-first through most of the Asteroid Belt -- lengthwise -- until Apollo's END reserve runs dry, and then gives him the Finger-Flick Of Unconsciousness. :)

Edit -- as for Vanyel...

... actually, no. His spellcasting takes at least as long as the Doctor's, and *HE'S* never used magic to rip entire nations off the Earth's crust and see them cast into the interstellar void...

Not to mention that (warning, anti-Vanyel fan rant follows, if you like Vanyel, you proceed at your own risk...),

... even if the Doctor /was/ high that day, Vanyel would still lose -- the Doctor would need five minutes to remember that he could just cast a spell to sober up quickly, but Vanyel would have to spend /ten/ minutes angsting, finding something else to take a guilt trip about, and fussing with his long damn bishonen hair.

*pant pant*

Sorry, I just didn't like the "Last Herald-Mage" trilogy. At all.

Guest Champsguy

Aquaman rules 2/3 of the Earth's surface. It has a grand total of one city. A lot of area? Yes. A lot of people? Nope. It's like being Governor of Alaska.

For all Aquaman's talk about superhuman durability (from surviving that undersea pressure and all), he still got his hand chewed off by piranhas. That means his skin has certain limits as to how tough it is.

Aquaman is a tool.

Remember "World War III"? Remember the scene with the army arising out of the oceans to stop the impending war?

Atlantis has enough of a military that it can stop the US Army dead in its tracks.

Apparently, in the modern DCU, Atlantis is a mlitary hyperpower that compares with the US of A. :)

Manchester Black, Coldcast, and WTF the other guy was. Called themselves "the Elite".

Really sloppy storyline, IMO.

Edit -- just remembered. "The Hat". Superpower... he could pull anything out of his hat, right?

:rolleyes:

WTF is this, the goddamned "Dungeons & Dragons" cartoon show of the 80's? Did Presto the Magician finally grow up and get another job? Good God, some days you wonder if DC's editors aren't just doing a Jayson Blair and only /pretending/ to show up for work.

Edit -- as for Vanyel...

... actually, no. His spellcasting takes at least as long as the Doctor's, and *HE'S* never used magic to rip entire nations off the Earth's crust and see them cast into the interstellar void...

Not to mention that (warning, anti-Vanyel fan rant follows, if you like Vanyel, you proceed at your own risk...),

... even if the Doctor /was/ high that day, Vanyel would still lose -- the Doctor would need five minutes to remember that he could just cast a spell to sober up quickly, but Vanyel would have to spend /ten/ minutes angsting, finding something else to take a guilt trip about, and fussing with his long damn bishonen hair.

*pant pant*

Sorry, I just didn't like the "Last Herald-Mage" trilogy. At all. [/b]

All I'm gonna say about this is: please DO NOT get me started again. There's only so many vehement arguments a guy can take in a two day period. ;)

Er arguing about the Vanyel thing I mean. :P