Can't Hit the Blind Kid

Dust Raven

I'm creating a blind pre-teen who's just developing his psychic powers. He's an ESPer with a talent for precognition. I want one of his "tricks" to be the ability to dodge nearly any attack leveled against him, but still have trouble navigating an unfamiliar room. Mechanically, I don't want him to have any targeting senses, but I still want him to maintain full DCV (plus dodge bonuses) in combat without the need for making Skill Rolls.

Any ideas on how I should approach this?

Detect [big Class of Things] Incoming Attack. Ranged, Sense, 360, Targeting. Note: A targeting sense that cannot actually target beings!

+30/+30 Armor; SFX: He ducked. (Heh....works vs some NND's too then!)

+20/+20 Force Field, IPE, 0 END. SFX: Just Missed Him.

Defense Manuever IV and +10 DCV should cover it also.

As would Sight: 360 degree, only to percieve incoming attacks.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

Dust Raven said they didn't want to have to make rolls, and Combat Sense makes you roll every Phase. :)

Ah yeah. missed that part. doh!

then, Spatial Awareness is probably a good bet then, defined as "Precognitive Psionics" or some such. It's a taget sense yes, but not a normal sense, it's really the best wau to simulate that.

Still needs buckets of DCV skill levels, with Combat Luck added on.

Unless you want to buy Clairsentience for Combat Only, though it needs another sense to work from, probably Hearing in this case.

Spatial Awareness, 360 degrees, Lim: Only to have full DCV when attacked (Cannot target with sense) (-1/2?), Lim: Not vs. automated attacks and robots (-1/4)

I figure it's -1/2, it would be worth more, but combat and maintaining full DCV is a big part of most campaigns, unless you're a Brick. You lose the ability to use full OCV, but you're probably a mentalist and use ECV to launch attacks. (otherwise, it would be a -1)

The additional -1/4 assumes that automated attacks and robots cannot be sensed, but they are reasonable rare.

Edit: ghost-angel beat me to the punch, oh well.

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

Spatial Awareness, 360 degrees, Lim: Only to have full DCV when attacked (Cannot target with sense) (-1/2?), Lim: Not vs. automated attacks and robots (-1/4)

I figure it's -1/2, it would be worth more, but combat and maintaining full DCV is a big part of most campaigns, unless you're a Brick. You lose the ability to use full OCV, but you're probably a mentalist and use ECV to launch attacks. (otherwise, it would be a -1)

The additional -1/4 assumes that automated attacks and robots cannot be sensed, but they are reasonable rare.

Edit: ghost-angel beat me to the punch, oh well.

Actually, looking at the way Spacial Awareness is built instead of the -1/2 rebuild the power like this:

Spatial Awareness [remix]

Detect Physical Objects, Sense, Passive, 360 Degrees for 17 points.

This is a sense though, so it can still involve a roll. I'd rule that in combat it would give him his full DCV versus hand to hand combat, and a perception roll to find a specific source of the attack. He would know an attack is coming, and from which general direction and how it's coming in, but if he then needed to know exactly where the attacker was standing it'd require a Perception Roll with this sense (which is it's own sense and only blocked by Desol.)

If you want to be able to attack back I'd force you to buy it Targeting, the above would not give you full OCV.

Re: Can't Hit the Blind Kid

What does the power do?

Originally posted by Dust Raven

I want one of his "tricks" to be the ability to dodge nearly any attack leveled against him, but still have trouble navigating an unfamiliar room.

Dodging attacks is DCV levels. The best way to do this is to buy DCV levels to offset any penalties for being blind. Or, if it is his only defensive power, just buy a bunch of DCV levels, some to offset the penalties and some to increase DCV, and throw in some combat luck.

Originally posted by archer

Just buy your Physical Limitation: Blindness as All The Time, Slightly Limiting, or Greatly if you don't feel like that's too much.

Blindness that does not provide combat penalties is by definition not Fully Limiting.

I have to go with Archer on this one. I think it would be a mistake to assign the starndard disadvantage for being blind, and then purchase powers/skills to counteract the disadvantage. Just don't assign the disadvange in the first place (or don't assign as much of a disadvantage; like Archer suggested).

The Mad Arab

Lim: Blindness; Cannot use sight to navigate slightly,all the time....Also look at Defense man IV and buy levels mith DCV and/or also missile deflection (dodges all attacks) and/or 5 to 10 levels with dive for cover (and 5 to 10 inches of leap)......

This character is an NPC (actually, a potential DNPC). He actually has no attacks and shouldn't be in combat in the first place, but I figure his precognative powers would help him out defensively in case he was (and then there are all those kidnapping attempts).

I think I like reducing the value of the Blindness Disad the best. Just reduce it and say it doesn't affect the DCV (though everything thing else will still apply). I'll have to remember that Desol idea though (working on a total revamp of PSI).

If this is an NPC and you're the GM then just use Plot Development to make him unhittable in combat... sometimes the mechanics get in the way and the story needs to take over .. if he uncannily keeps dodging the enemy for the story then, IMO, that supercedes powers/skills and everything else. YMMV.

Originally posted by ghost-angel

If this is an NPC and you're the GM then just use Plot Development to make him unhittable in combat... sometimes the mechanics get in the way and the story needs to take over .. if he uncannily keeps dodging the enemy for the story then, IMO, that supercedes powers/skills and everything else. YMMV.

Oh I agree, but the character is a DNPC and potential Follower. I'll need an actual write up for it. That and it souldn't cool, I might use variations of it for other characters.

Re: Can't Hit the Blind Kid

Originally posted by Dust Raven

I'm creating a blind pre-teen who's just developing his psychic powers. He's an ESPer with a talent for precognition. I want one of his "tricks" to be the ability to dodge nearly any attack leveled against him, but still have trouble navigating an unfamiliar room.

So, my question is, how come he can dodge incoming attacks but can't keep himself from running into furniture? If he can sense the future a bit, enough to sense a fist hitting him and therefore dodge it, couldn't he sense when he ran into a couch and therefore avoid it?

Other than that, I do agree with the reduced Disad version. However, precognition also has effects that normal sight does not. For example, he should be able to detect invisible attacks. And he wouldn't be affected by Flashes, no matter how strong.

I see the kid has still developing his powers, and as such they tend to trigger subconsciously. Since his subconscious mind doesn't find bumping into funiture a problem, he wouldn't become consciously aware of it. A bullet in the head is a different matter. In fact, he isn't even consciously aware of the attacks, just to need to move out of the way.

The need to know about any incoming attack would be required, and definately goes beyond normal human senses. Looks like I'll be giving him that Detect anyways, along with the reduced disad.