April Fool's, Champions style

Hermit

Re: April Fool's, Champions style

Use a super-powered Jester. Not a vicious psycho like the Joker or the Black Harlequin;

Just a super-powered prankster who doesn't know when to quit, and possibly possesses a less than fine-tuned sense of right and wrong.

He could go around transmogrifying cars and public property into large, furry animals, and warping dimensions so that doors on one building go into rooms in other buildings across town.

For an added twist, make the Jester the accidental change Multiform of some incredibly serious lawyer, cop, or public official. :D

Not incredibly whimsical here...

----------

There are days that test men's wills. Days that drive them to achievement or push them to the pit of bitter despair.

"Why so glum, pal?" Avery dried the glass in typical bartender fashion. It's not that the glass was dirty or even wet for that matter. He just enjoyed living the stereotype, and so did those who came in to spill their guts over a few mugs of beer.

"I hate tomorrow."

"April Foo--"

"DON'T!" The figured slumped at the end of the bar sat bolt upright with just enough speed to make Avery concerned the man was going to lunge. But he remained on the stool, satisfied that the words had been terminated before the last syllable.

"Why, what's the deal? People seem to like pranks."

The man brooded further, his face half buried behind the mug.

"When I was ten, the other kids on the playground convinced me that the teacher had a crush on me. They watched through the window as I tried to kiss her, then laughed hysterically when she slapped me."

"Wow. That kinda sucks. That'll stick with you. But they were kids. So were you."

"When I was eleven, my sister told me my parents had crashed on their way back from mcdonalds with dinner. She was lying. I cried so hard I couldn't eat."

"That's rough. I think I see a pattern forming."

"When I was twelve I spotted a can that was bulging slightly. My next door neighbor told me it was full of bochelism. When I ask 'what's that', he told me it was Vitamin B and it was good for me. I had my stomach pumped..."

On and on the man went, recounting the years of his life in succession while the bartender did his best to look sympathetic, all the while thinking, after the third time shouldn't you have marked the day on your calendar?.

"...At 45 my x-wife cancelled all my credit cards while I was trying to get back from a business trip in Europe."

The bartender just stood, staring down at his glass.

"I'm 46 now. You know what tomorrow is."

"Pal, do yourself a favor; Go lock yourself in a cell or hide in a basement. Because tomorrow is coming whether you like it or not."

The man's brow raised. Not both of them; just the right one, because the left one was burned off when he was 31 by exploding can of cheese-whiz. But there was a gleam in his eye. He sat upright on the stool.

"Maybe it won't."

The bartender shrugged.

"Really. Maybe it doesn't have to come. Not if I have anything to say about it."

The man stood and paid for his drink and walked to the door, putting on his jacket over the white labcoat he wore, obscuring the Quantum Dynamics logo.

The bartender swept up the change that was left as a tip and noted the three rare coins the man had accidentally paid with. Looked like April Fool's Day was starting early for that guy.

Dr. Fugit walked the streets back to the lab. If he had his way, he would alter time forever, and he knew just the device in R&D that might do it. But it was untested. Well, tonight at 11:59, he would put it to the test...

Actually, the last game I ran on April 1, I had CLOWN moving all over town, acting suspicious, snickering to themselves, wringing their hands evilly ...

and doing absolutely nothing. But you would not BELIEVE how paranoid everybody got.

HAH! I used that once too. Great fun as a GM...

The only game I have ever played on April's Fools day was a very high powered Rolemaster Fantasy with lots of found technology (it was set in our world except for two things, Julius Caesar was and immortal demon of great power and at some point in the 41st Century time reverted and compressed back down to the 500 or so BC.)

In the game we found out a lot about the world, but we came in contact with Mother Moo. A huge 50 foot tall bloated sentient cow. No really. Mother Moo was alive when time reverted on itself and was at ground zero for some nukes that went off near London, England. Apparently Mother Moo had the mutant power to absorb nuclear energy and helped save a large portion of the local population. As such she became reverred as a god.....it didn't hurt that at religious ceremonies (which were held whenever they wanted), the faithful would consume her milk.... Unfortunately, her milk had mutated into a very strong hallucinogenic drug.

As it turns out, negotions didn't go very well and one of the players stupidly dropped a few tactical nukes from his found futuristic armour. All hell broke out and when it was said and down, we had to accept a new team member to act as an official representative of the United Queendom of Moo.

The new character was a great one, he was a half wood elf/half orc named Torc (because that is all he wore). In this world the Wood Elfs and Orcs lived peacefully, scratch that they lived together and made up the Celts. So we had a huge green naked elf who talked in third person ("Torc no like this"), except for the few occasions when he would switch to a perfect form of english to explain very detailed plans or explainations of technology and finish it with "but that is what Torc thinks...."

Actually, the last game I ran on April 1, I had CLOWN moving all over town, acting suspicious, snickering to themselves, wringing their hands evilly ...

and doing absolutely nothing. But you would not BELIEVE how paranoid everybody got.

Good idea. You realize that if they just kept doing that outside a bank or something, the heroes would eventually breach bank security to get inside and see what was going on... That's a whole can of Cthulhoid worms right there.

Makes me wish that someone could defie Steve and give us a 5th edition version of CLOWN. I mean, we can't ALWAYS go to Fxbat for our lafter needs.

That also reminds me, once CLOWN snuck into our HQ (the Horison Building), covered it in orange Jello (but not covering the entrences and exits), replaced the Protectors uniforms with indistructable pink bunny outfits (thay were leasing out space, the group which acts like a securitie outfit, but are experts in superheros), replaced all the water bublers so that thay dispenced Crystal Pepsi (god, I MISS that drink), and placed a giant 'water' slide inside the building (well, it would be water if not for the Crystal Pepsi). God, I miss them.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is well late for 4/1, but anyway...how about a hero who goes villain every /1 as his twisted prank? He doesn't do anything really bad, but he does do blatanlty illegal things - he's CVK but robs banks, that sort of thing. In his regular hero guise he's a good guy - preferably one the PCs already know. But he's got some mental defect and every 4/1 he sneaks around as a villain, masking his powers to look different. This particular year the PCs of course are called in or (if you're really inventive and have a game-year) from a prior year decide to catchi him. I think it's definitely more interested if he is very poweful and very good in his regular guise, he's never DIRECTLY hurt anyone in his 4/1 villain guise (and even indirect shouldn't be too bad - like it shouldn't be that the old lady lost her life's savings, after all, it's all federally insured), and he is NOT mind-controlled or something so simple and easy to just wipe away. Although of course you can just mess with this to taste.