OK, Math And Science Experts: Cubic Hexes

Steve Long

Re: OK, Math And Science Experts: Cubic Hexes

1. How do we measure a "cubic hex"? A hex is a unit of ground measurement, and thus only two-dimensional. So, what's the best approach?:

a. Measure the volume of a "cubic" hex that's essentially a two-meter tall hexagonal column

I think this is simplest way...

c. Converting a cubic meter into a "cubic hex"

I like this, men:

i dont' want to troll but, i like You use Metric Decimal units! (i HATE conversion from meter to feet or to Kg to lbs and vice versa... and i came froma country where metric decimal units are used so... you know... i think "Hero is better" even for this :smoke::D:D

Thanx for all the help' date=' guys! I've gone ahead and made my chart with both a "cubic foot" and "cubic hex" columns, which will hopefully satisfy everyone, and I've provided some handy conversion formulae to boot. ;)[/quote']

Ehm, just don't forget the "cubic metre" column. ;)

As an aside, the 7m3 volume also makes for very simple conversions to/from the 14m3 "displacement tons" used in certain other games as a unit of volume for spacecraft and other vehicles.

Two Hero hexes = one dton works for me!

Thanx heaps.

3 x 3 x1.5 , low berth, shared, Traveller now that takes me back even before hero and DnD.

Volume of 7.5 works better cos is a round number when scaled up.

Water 7.5t/hex ( wood )

Dirt 15t/hex ( )

stone 30t/hex ( )

steel 60/hex ( most metals )

Osmium 120t/hex ( highest density substance known, gold platinum silver)

As a game wher str is only ever bought in 5pt multiples ( supers ) all in between values are irrelevant.

Steve,

I think the right answer has most to do with what use you thought this new "unit of measurement" (the cubic hex) would have to the gamers. I'm not sure I understand how it would really be used.

b. Measure the volume of a sphere two meters in diameter

My first reaction was that this was the most "logical" definition - it allows the convenience of hexagonal movement in 3-space - picturing stacked marbles instead of the stacked coins that form a 2-d hex grid. But as JayH points out, this would leave gaps, and if you measured the volume of a large area of these hexes as if they were spheres, your total would be off by larger and larger numbers.

It's also not clear to me that an arrangement of 3-d hexes arranged as spheres would be easy to use for 3-d movement, which eliminates the only value hexes have over squares.

Probably, such a unit of measurement should just be the same shape that's used to regulate movement in 3-space.

d. Forget about "cubic hexes" and just use "cubic meters" or some other form of real-world measurement

I guess until I understand how someone would make use of a "cubic hex" I'd just choose this.

Thanx for all the help' date=' guys! I've gone ahead and made my chart with both a "cubic foot" and "cubic hex" columns, which will hopefully satisfy everyone, and I've provided some handy conversion formulae to boot. ;)[/quote']

NOOOO!!!

Not cubic feet - cubic meters. Hero gamers are smart and understand the benefits of the metric system.

You know, I never could figure out why the folks who are the most uncomfortable doing math are the ones most resistant to using the metric system. I met one exception. He knew he was bad at math, so he preferred metric: "Heck, even *I* can multiply by ten!"

I chose cubic feet because the book already has a metric measurement -- just divide the cubic hex by seven to get cubic meters. OTOH, lots of reference materials list things in cubic feet, making it a handy secondary bit of information to have on the table. Since the table has both, and various conversion formulae to boot, I see no valid grounds for complaint.

I live in a country which uses metric units. While I'm old enough to be able to visualise cubic feet quite easily, most of the younger people I know can't, and seven is a terrible number to divide mentally.

I really think you should include a cubic metre column.

While I use hexes as a convient unit of measure on a hex - mat' date=' I do not describe an explosition as having the nice regular sides will all the angles that a hex would have.[/quote']

True, but to use a d20ism, If an explosion does not fully cover a hex then it does not effect it, despite touching and in some cases intruding into a hex as represented by a template. My rule is the template must cover at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a hex before it is to be counted in the AE.

Hawksmoor

Not cubic hexes, cylindrical hexes. ;)

Time to put my 2 cents in:

I prefer the hexagonal prism; it makes everything even.

One slight correction about the area of a regular hexagon:

Area = (square root of three * half the length of one side) * the perimeter of the hexagon

To get the volume, just multiply this area by the height of the prism.

Feet, meters, I don't care. I'm fine with it either way.

True, but to use a d20ism, If an explosion does not fully cover a hex then it does not effect it, despite touching and in some cases intruding into a hex as represented by a template. My rule is the template must cover at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a hex before it is to be counted in the AE.

Hawksmoor

This is a very nice exposition on how an explosion can affect its environment. :straight:

Yes, they are properly called prism, but let's not quibble about that detail. As long as we're on the same page (and I think we are), all we need to worry about is defining the height of the prism.

As for determining damage for an effect that covers less than a hex, how about allowing a decreased effect (smaller DC) at the fringes?

Steve,

I remember the thread you refer to as I was one of the very active posters on it. The discussion started with an argument over whether AE Radius was a circle or a sphere.

It seems you've already decided, but I would vastly prefer cubic meters (1m x 1m x1m) over hexagonal prisms 2 meters high and 1.155 m on a side (which is the shape of your "cubic hex"). Cubic meters are easily converted into anything you want. If you want "cubic hexes" you can multiply by 6.928 (or 7 if you don't mind being off a little). If you wan cubic inches, you can multiply by 8.

On that old thread, I talked about a shape called a rhombic dodecahedron, which is the space-filling shape you get when you stack up marbles and include the gaps between them. I like to call them "dodes" for short, just like we say "hexes" instead of "hexagons." To convert cubic meters to dodes, you multiply by 5.656. (Though I doubt even I would need to do this. I use dodes all the time for 3-d movement, but I probably wouldn't need to for the masses of objects.)

So add me to the list of those who prefer option (d). :yes:

It's annoying when a decision is made without my opinion just because I haven't had a chance to look at the boards in a week or two.

And why bother with cubic feet? Nothing in the game is described in feet. You might as well include cubic furlongs, or cubic cubits! :no:

Personally, I see the thought process behind listing in clubic hexes. The table of body/def for materials is in cubic hexes. However this is usually too much volume for most things where it's mattered in my game. Usually its only a few centimeters of wood between the party and the next room. Occationally a similar amount of stone. In some cases large amounts of stone and earth present themselves. However I am not running champions so we'll have to see how useful this is. I think with some simple calculator time it can be quite useful.

--Pete