More boast than post!

Chris Bloxham

Re: More boast than post!

Yeh, that LANDS aint easy to find. I've still got my JI in pristine condition, but since I couldn't get my old group of players interested in a J.I. game I never bought LANDS. Now of course I'd love to have a copy.

Well, I would've been the grand old age of 4 when JI was released! Although the copy I now have has a battered box the books are mint. The pulp genre really appeals and 5th ed seems a while away. I'm hoping JI will convert to 5th ed without major trouble just until the official material is released.

Ah, but what version of JI do you have? I'm sure there was a second version of Justice Inc which was more popular the the 1st edition for awhile. In so saying, let me say I have the 1st edition. :)

Ah' date=' but what version of JI do you have? I'm sure there was a second version of Justice Inc which was more popular the the 1st edition for awhile. In so saying, let me say I have the 1st edition. :)[/quote']

I think there was only the first edition in a box.

I have a couple of copies of the first edition, and a copy of Lands of Mystery...bought 'em when I was in high school. It was my introduction to Champions, and I was hooked ever since. I $^%&*ing love the Pulp genre, but I just can't seem to be able to find players who share my appreciation for it.

Just to say I snagged a copy of Justice Inc from Ebay last week and it is fantastic. I sat up until 3am to win the auction! If you cant wait for Pulp Hero 5th ed I urge you to find a copy.That's about it really...

Just Lands Of Mystery to hunt down now...

way to go man

I hear you' date=' my players are usually stuck in the "IF IT ISN'T FILLED WITH ELVES IT ISN'T GOOD!" frame of mind[/quote']

Why are your players obsessed with elves anyway? I like elves a lot too, but I don't populate all my campaigns with them. With Highlander-type immortals... well, that's a different story.

I hear you' date=' my players are usually stuck in the "IF IT ISN'T FILLED WITH ELVES IT ISN'T GOOD!" frame of mind[/quote']

A problem I've seen before but fortunately don't have at the moment. In fact, my current game is Fantasy Hero in a setting in which the only available race for player characters is human (I get tired of the standard fantasy races sometimes) and none of the players had an real problems adapting.

John D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cool!

I've had JI since about 1985, when I picked it up at a local comic store. Bought my Lands of Mystery a few years back, straight from Allston himself. I've got the signature on the book to prove it! Alas, if only I found players willing to try it...

JoeG

Congratulations! These books are probably the main reason for the small but loyal following for pulp-era gaming among HERO fans.

Speaking of which, in case you weren't aware, there are several HERO fan websites devoted to that genre which I can recommend, that you might find useful and interesting:

Hero Pulp, probably the most broadly-useful source on the net. NPCs (including well-known real and fictional characters of the era), guns, vehicles, package deals, even a sample adventure.

The Empire Club, characters and campaign logs based on the organization outlined in JI. Light on system crunch, but good inspirational material.

Thrilling True Tales, from Jesse Zwerling's pulp campaign. Good NPC writeups and lots of flavor.

Amazing Adventures!, adapted from White Wolf's Adventure! campaign setting.

Most of this dates from 4E HERO System, but for a heroic-level campaign of this type the differences from 5E are negligible.

And speaking of that, might I suggest keeping an eye out for the 4E HERO System Almanac I? It was written as an update-expansion-soucebook for all HERO genres after the original 4E rules were published. Some of the material in it has been incorporated into 5E, but there's other interesting items, including updates of the "Weird Talents" and "Psychic Powers" from JI, which make them more compatible with newer HERO. If you can find it cheap it could be worth your while. :)