Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Most cars are like that now. ACs have gotten more efficient so that they don't take that much power to operate, but the opening of a window is like tying a parachute to your car.

One thing that I notice is that Automatic cars are now getting better gas mileage. Haven't looked into the reason behind that. Either they have gotten better, or the measurement is done differently.

I hadn't noticed it quite so dramatically with anything before my Prius. And I'm guessing that it is a combination of both. Better automatics and different measurement. Though I've noticed that some manufacturers list better mileage from automatics, and some still list better with manuals.

It is moot with the Prius. It doesn't really have a transmission, nor any gears to shift...

The only trick I used to do was coasting down mountains such as 80 from Tahoe. (Engine idling, but gears in neutral).

Filling the tank until it overflows is just plain stupid. bad for the paint and your lungs.

One of the cool things about the Prius is that it takes care of that for me. And in fact stores up extra energy while going down a long grade. :thumbup:

. . . I use public transport. Costs me about $60/month. :)

To get to work I use public transport. I spend more than $200/month, but I'm going almost 30 miles each way. Were I to drive, I'd spend almost as much as I pay on public transportation just for a parking space. Factor the bridge toll ($4/day), gas, wear and tear on the car, and the fact that it would likely take longer into the equation, and I'm much better off taking BART and MUNI. I just wish BART did an "unlimited ride" type pass.

What' date=' for a monthly fee? Why don't they?[/quote']

I'm guessing becuase they're afraid they'd lose money on the deal. Currently you pay based mostly on how far you are going, rather than a single fee for a ride however far. The route I take to work (Pleasant Hill to Embarcadero) costs $4.40 each way.

You can get discounted tickets in various ways. Generally this is done by charging you one price, but giving you a ticket work some percentage more than that. One of the high value tickets costs $45, but gives you a $48 ticket.

IIRC computerization and improvements in torque converter hydrodynamics are causing this. But I still greatly prefer a manual' date=' even over the good tiptronics I've driven. About the only time I'd really prefer an automatic is when I need my non-wheel hand to shoot back.[/quote']

Our new gas guzzler is an automatic 4WD Xterra. Gets OK mileage actually, but nothing to brag about.

I'm off to look at other cars today to see if I can get something that does get decent mileage. I'm intrigued by the Honda Fit. Headroom and carrying capacity with > 30mpg. But it's going to have to be a manual, I prefer shifting being the control freak that I am.

Oh, and I find that installing a couple auto gun turrets solves the shooting back issue. Then you don't have to open the window either.

We've got a Subaru and an old pickup, neither of which are great for mileage. My wife likes Sub's because of the all-wheel drive without being an SUV monstrosity ... she drives all over this hilly area, and has to park it. I've got a truck ... even though I dislike pickups intensely ... because it was handy to have one at the time my old car died, and my hatred of car-shopping far exceeds my dislike of pickups.

I have a Saturn manual, which may well be my last manual, if we keep with Saturn. The last two Saturns I've owned have had something happen to the transmission after about 30K miles, with no amount of preventative maintenance keeping me from suddenly dropping $1.5K on a car I haven't paid off yet. Ugh.

They have a really nice hybrid sedan right now, but apparently it's a limited time thing. Ah, well.

I've owned 3 Saturns so far. Currently I own a VUE and an SL1. The VUE is automatic transmission the SL is manual. The SL is approaching 200K miles. We had to replace the clutch around the 100K mile mark, but only because it was starting to show some wear and I'm a preventative maintenance kind of guy. When we got the VUE we bought the 5 year maintenance plan with it as well. I have to say that that was one of the best investments I've ever made. I haven't had to pay on dime on the VUE (except gas) and I take it in for regular oil changes, and when the passenger seat warmer went out it was a painless experience to get it replaced.

Just bought a Honda Civic Coupe LX 2007. Manual, 30 city/38 highway or so it claims. Very comfortable. And I no longer have my mom's Toyota Camry which wasn't a bad car, but it reminded me of stuff. 1995 and only 43K for miles driven.

I looked at a Nissan Versa, but the steering wheel was in my crotch. Not comfortable.

Oh, and the sales person's name: Attila. Henry Morgan was with another client.

Only clutch I ever replaced was at 90K and it had been driven hard. (Honda Accord)

Well, with this first car, it's the one I learned to drive manual on, and it survived several Maine winters, which should explain a few things. The current car just started leaking transmission fluid, and needed a part replaced. The clutch is still good.

I've had it almost 5 years, and driven it just over 33K miles.

Feral momcat went back to the shelter yesterday; she has an adopter already. The kittens we still have. They seem a bit lost without mom in one of her four hiding spots. But I think we have more hope of socializing them better without her around, since all she did was hide and flinch at noises, and those habits have rubbed off on them.

A quick (traffic-generating) straw poll about my signature:

I had two thoughts for the caption, both sort-of comic-related. I went with the current one ("I'm the goddamn Bugman!"), but the alternative was, "I'm the Predator, bitch!" except I'm not sure how many people would get the reference. I'm pretty sure most people get the reference for the other.

So, should I stick to the existing caption, or change to the other? Or does anyone have their own suggestion? Or do you not care?

I sheepishly admit I don't recognize the picture' date=' so it doesn't mean a lot to me in any event.[/quote']Oh. Well, it's a preview picture from the upcoming Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem movie, but if you don't recognise the creature on the right is the same one as in my avatar, just with its battle mask on, well, yeah, it's not going to mean much.

Oh. Well' date=' it's a preview picture from the upcoming [i']Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem[/i] movie, but if you don't recognise the creature on the right is the same one as in my avatar, just with its battle mask on, well, yeah, it's not going to mean much.
It is a battle mask? I thought it was make-up. :winkgrin::love: